Explorer v Mariner

flossie009

On a separate note: Has anyone noticed the change to the deck plans for the Constellation Theater, specifically the deck 5 portion, on the Splendour. It appears that the plans call for a much shorter front balcony on deck 5. This hopefully will improve the sight lines and open the bottom bowl of the theater to everyone on deck 5.

Time will tell if they got it right this time.....

Good catch! Just went to the website and looked at both Explorer and Splendor. I suspect that many things will be different I'm the theater on Splendor. Having just been on Voyager, wish they could somehow make the theater on Splendor the same as Voyager (great site lines and only a couple of steps that are clearly marked).

There is a 2 week gap in Explorer's schedule between October 29 and November 12, 2019; which is when I understand Explorer is scheduled for her first dry-dock.

I have no idea what work will be attempted at that time apart from the normal replacement of carpets and soft furnishings.

During our cruise this past Nov/Dec, John Barron mentioned plans to fix the problem with the "invisible" steps in the theater during the next drydock.

It may be the wrong thread to ask, but I would like to know,what level suite bathrooms start having 2 sinks instead of ONE ,both in Mariner and Explorer . Thanks in advance

The Mariner does not have two sinks (unless there are two in the Master suite which is the only level we have not stayed in). I believe that the only suites on Explorer that do not have double sinks are the "H" and "G" suites. I know that there are double sinks in F1/F2 and above.

The Mariner does not have two sinks (unless there are two in the Master suite which is the only level we have not stayed in). I believe that the only suites on Explorer that do not have double sinks are the "H" and "G" suites. I know that there are double sinks in F1/F2 and above.

Thanks TC Disappointed about Mariner, Have reservations for WC 2020,and was hoping for DOUBLE sinks in Penthouse suites...

Thanks TC Disappointed about Mariner, Have reservations for WC 2020,and was hoping for DOUBLE sinks in Penthouse suites...

The Mariner may not have double sinks but do have the largest Penthouse suite of any Regent ship - we love that suite! Did you book a shower only suite?

The Mariner may not have double sinks but do have the largest Penthouse suite of any Regent ship - we love that suite! Did you book a shower only suite?

To get guaranteed PH A ,we are assigned 3 different suites ; have to change twice, in segments !!...That is another negative. I think at least one of them is shower only.

To get guaranteed PH A ,we are assigned 3 different suites ; have to change twice, in segments !!...That is another negative. I think at least one of them is shower only.

Fortunately, your butler and steward/stewardess will help you move. Be careful when getting into and out of the bathtub as it can be difficult - even for able bodied people

P.S. Perhaps there will be cancellation between now and the world cruise and you won't have to change suites. Suggest having your TA check on it.

Thanks for the warning TC !!

Yes, I definitely hope there will be cancellations and "improvements" , my TA knows I am not happy with moving twice . Decision time will come next year when we get close to final payment. Meanwhile keeping a close watch on other options.

Just to back up all TC2's comments

Penthouses on Mariner are excellent suites. Large and well configured.

See thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2620550 (Posts 4 to 6 show photos taken recently in a Mariner Penthouse)

No double sink in the bathroom and, unless you really want or need a bathtub, I would definitely recommend the shower-only suites.

When these suites were converted to shower-only, the shower was installed where the tub used to be; so the shower is huge and is well equipped with both an overhead rain-head and a hand held shower.

Those suites on Mariner that have a tub and a shower, have the shower over the tub; which many find a very poor arrangement giving difficulties of headroom and a high step to get into the tub.

As you say, there is still plenty of time until the 2020 WC and you may well be able to juggle suites if cancellations occur, particularly as final payment approaches .............. but if you do have to move suites between segments your butler & steward/stewardess will take care of everything apart from your valuables.

Hope you get the suite(s) you want - have a great world cruise on Mariner :)

Edited by flossie009

Just to back up all TC2's comments

Penthouses on Mariner are excellent suites. Large and well configured.

See thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2620550 (Posts 4 to 6 show photos taken recently in a Mariner Penthouse)

No double sink in the bathroom and, unless you really want or need a bathtub, I would definitely recommend the shower-only suites.

When these suites were converted to shower-only, the shower was installed where the tub used to be; so the shower is huge and is well equipped with both an overhead rain-head and a hand held shower.

As you say, there is still plenty of time until the 2020 WC and you may well be able to juggle suites if cancellations occur, particularly as final payment approaches .............. but if you do have to move suites between segments your butler & steward/stewardess will take care of everything apart from your valuables.

Hope you get the suite(s) you want - have a great world cruise on Mariner :)

Thanks Flossie for the thread

Really enjoyed it, specially since we are booked this Fall on Marina (Oceania) for a 12 day cruise of canary islands ,which include some of the ports you visited

Your photos of Mariner (and foods !!) are very inviting...

I definitely like the size and the total structure of Penthouse suite...the negative is the single sink...

Please clue me how I can tell which suite numbers are shower only (or not);

Again,I agree that between now and final payment time there is a lot of time and cancellations do happen..

Please clue me how I can tell which suite numbers are shower only (or not)

Shower only suites have suite numbers ending in one through six. Bathtub suites have suite numbers ending in seven through zero. Hope this helps.

This link should go to the deck plan for the Mariner. Shower-only suites are designed by a "star" or "asterisk" (*) https://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer?ship=MAR

Could not get that link to work. This one should take you to the Regent website. Click on "Our Ships" and then Mariner ....... scroll down to Deck Pans https://www.rssc.com

Yes and they sell out quickly!

LOL TC I think you misunderstood me ; I meant 2 out of 3 suites assigned to us are shower only... but I appreciate the info on quick sell out anyway

Shower only suites have suite numbers ending in one through six. Bathtub suites have suite numbers ending in seven through zero. Hope this helps.

Mostly but not universally true.

Best is to look at the asterisks on the deck plans.

Explorer theatre is the worst design of any on the fleet. They have the biggest stage and a larger troupe of entertainers. However the sight lines make all of deck 5 upstairs seats useless. At the safety briefing you are told where to sit and from our location could only see the head of assistant cruise director, hardly useful for a dance routine. Many seats at the back of 5 have a restricted view also. Whoever designed this had not grasped the key to theatre design or been to a show, namely the view of the stage.The steps are also poor , why not a ramp and the side half steps in dangerous. You cannot claim it is the most luxurious ship with such faults, Hopefully the Splendour will iron out these issues and the Explorer at its first refit be properly changed - doubt it will happen because the structural change will need it out of service for a couple of weeks. But at present the theatre is not luxurious.

Cabins, lounges are great but the theatre is vital. At present we noticed , how many with upper grade suites are staying in them and not mixing dining in the suite etc , this means the block party was the poorest attended in our 9 Regent cruises, also not helped by 220 on a partial charter from the Cheesecake factory.

Still like Voyager as our favourite Regent ship although Explorer / Mariner run a close 2nd

of entertainers

Explorer theatre is the worst design of any on the fleet. They have the biggest stage and a larger troupe of entertainers. However the sight lines make all of deck 5 upstairs seats useless. At the safety briefing you are told where to sit and from our location could only see the head of assistant cruise director, hardly useful for a dance routine. Many seats at the back of 5 have a restricted view also. Whoever designed this had not grasped the key to theatre design or been to a show, namely the view of the stage.The steps are also poor , why not a ramp and the side half steps in dangerous. You cannot claim it is the most luxurious ship with such faults, Hopefully the Splendour will iron out these issues and the Explorer at its first refit be properly changed - doubt it will happen because the structural change will need it out of service for a couple of weeks. But at present the theatre is not luxurious.

Cabins, lounges are great but the theatre is vital. At present we noticed , how many with upper grade suites are staying in them and not mixing dining in the suite etc , this means the block party was the poorest attended in our 9 Regent cruises, also not helped by 220 on a partial charter from the Cheesecake factory.

Still like Voyager as our favourite Regent ship although Explorer / Mariner run a close 2nd

of entertainers

Your points about Explorer's theater are not arguable. I suspect that Regent is as upset about it as we are. I am confident that Splendor will have a completely different theater than Explorer. Having recently been on Voyager, I was able to appreciate the theater more than in the past.

Your observation about upper suite passengers are staying in their suites is correct. We have been in a Master and Grand suite on Explorer (as well as concierge and F1) and understand the desire to enjoy the extreme comforts of the upper suites. However, we dine in restaurants 95% of the time and spend time in the lounges in order to interact with friends (that we also invite to our suite).

The Voyager was our favorite ship but Explorer is now our favorite ship (despite the theater). We appreciate the comfortability of Explorer (the various sitting areas where you can people watch or simply read a book). The Mariner comes in third in terms of favorite ships simply because of the small suites (even though we do not stay in them), the small closets (even in the Grand suite) and the wasted space in Stars Lounge. We no longer sail on Navigator.