j in tx

Alaska cruise-northbound or southbound? Ships to avoid?

We are doing a B2B. The southbound has MUCH longer port times. I don't know if that is standard or just a fluke of the dates we chose.

Important part of this cruise is just being together as a family and exposing the grands to the wonders of cruising and of course the beauty and vastness of Alaska.

We have similar priorities. DH and I are taking 2 grandkids (11 years old). Being with them (alone without other family so we can kind of spoil them), exposure to cruising, and seeing a different part of Alaska other than where we all live...those are our priorities!

i am getting overwhelmed researching Alaska cruises. Do any of you have strong feelings about choosing northbound or southbound cruises (pros or cons) ? Also, any ships to avoid? Or consider?

Thanks for any advice!

As a Seattle native I've always preferred the Northbound travel (whether by our WA state ferries to San Juans, Alaska Ferry from Bellingham, WA) or the 1-way cruise to Whittier (from Vancouver) last June. I think the landscape gets "more wild" as you move north, and am not sure if the landscape would be a let-down starting with the awesome Glaciers.

Also - YES to what others have said preferring covered Princess ships; we did Star last June.

And YES to Glacier bay, if possible.

But, MANY folks say do land tour first if doing that.. and rest afterwards. Have fun planning!

J - I hope you don't mind a fellow Texan jumping in, but it's on the same lines. I booked us the Northern route Vancouver to Whittier then plan on renting a vehicle and doing our own land tour to Denali and maybe Fairbanks. Anyone done this?

We are also booked on the Royal next year and I can't wait!!! :D

We are booked on the Royal Southbound next year. Worked best for our schedule plus it was the only one with connecting inside rooms for our family of 4. Wasn't too much more than one inside and drastically cheaper than all of us in one balcony cabin.

Avoid the Island Princess! The Coral is a wonderful size for Alaska!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Waiting is the hard part --- Alaska is so worth it!

So are we! The wait is killing us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We leave on Monday for Vancouver and will board the Coral for the Northbound...this will be our 6th trip to Alaska and the scenery never gets old....We enjoyed the Ruby so no complaints there and we love the Royal so I guess it is all a matter of opinion..we were not thrilled with the Grand but many people like that ship....Regardless, Alaska is an American treasure....we were in Norway last month and many places reminded us of Alaska....

Southbound has perfect times in all the ports.

Northbound has better times in Juneau IMO. Enough time to do Adventure Bound Alaska to Tracy Arm.