Just came back for Havana used Blexie OMG

hertz4319

We also have a tour booked it’s Blexie next week and can’t wait! Looking for recommendations on items to bring that may be needed/wanted by the drivers or others?

I would email him and ask. They need the strangest things they cannot get. He took us to a market and if you have money it is pricey. If you do not you do without.

Just returned from a fantastic tour using Blexie. Our tour guide Orelvis was amazing (and super cute), can't recommend him enough. We opted to do the a/c van instead of the classic cars due to the heat and having a large group of 7.

We also decided toskip lunch and spend more time exploring. Can't wait to go back!

I would email him and ask. They need the strangest things they cannot get. He took us to a market and if you have money it is pricey. If you do not you do without.

Thank you! I will be sure to send him a email.

We also have a tour booked it’s Blexie next week and can’t wait! Looking for recommendations on items to bring that may be needed/wanted by the drivers or others?

When I asked Blexie what was most needed he said most anything is appreciated and welcome especially for the children. I read a post here somewhere before we left that they had witnessed a long line of little girls all waiting to hold one Barbie doll. We took several large bags of toys : dolls for the girls, superhero figures, coooring books and crayons, pens, games, “theme” toothbrushes and lots of other toiletries and OTC meds like aspirin. The whole country is baseball crazy so anything related would be great I’m sure . We took baseball caps with our team logos . Blexie said it’s hard for him to find good polarized sunglasses and - believe it or not - dishwashing detergent. I think CDs of American movies are good also since some don’t have TV. Blexie took us to an orphanage for small children and we gave the bags to the teachers for distribution. We were offered a tour of the facility and got to see the children singing . It was a highlight of the trip for us.

We are looking forward to our trip with him this month! Good to know about the items he could use. Anything else to add on a good to know basis?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I were to offer one more tip, it would be to make sure to exchange your CUCs back to USD before leaving the ship for the evening since the exchange counters at the port close at 8 pm. Our tour with Blexie was done at around 5 and we went back to the ship to change so we exchanged most of our CUCs back before leaving again. We wanted to have dinner and find some bars with music and drinks and we had to pretty closely calculate how much CUC we would need for the evening. We ended up having an extra daiquiri or 2 and left larger tips for the server and taxi driver.

Thanks for your great comments. Did you give him a tip as well? Also did you tip the driver? What is customary in Cuba as far as tipping for guides and in restaurants?

We did. The tour was $130 and I think we gave him $180 (there were 3 of us and that was a round number) and we gave the driver around $30 I think. We gave the bar servers about the same as at home since we know they need the $ and we needed to get rid of the CUC.

The van sounds good for our group of 7 adults.

Was it easy to get in and out? Could everyone see OK? At least relatively comfortable?

The van had lots of windows so we had no issues not being able to see everything and our guide was kind enough to help us all get in and out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

When I asked Blexie what was most needed he said most anything is appreciated and welcome especially for the children. I read a post here somewhere before we left that they had witnessed a long line of little girls all waiting to hold one Barbie doll. We took several large bags of toys : dolls for the girls, superhero figures, coooring books and crayons, pens, games, “theme” toothbrushes and lots of other toiletries and OTC meds like aspirin. The whole country is baseball crazy so anything related would be great I’m sure . We took baseball caps with our team logos . Blexie said it’s hard for him to find good polarized sunglasses and - believe it or not - dishwashing detergent. I think CDs of American movies are good also since some don’t have TV. Blexie took us to an orphanage for small children and we gave the bags to the teachers for distribution. We were offered a tour of the facility and got to see the children singing . It was a highlight of the trip for us.

Thank you for the information! My daughter in law was actually born in Cuba and only remembers that getting candy or a doll was something VERY special.

Thank you for the information! My daughter in law was actually born in Cuba and only remembers that getting candy or a doll was something VERY special.

You’re very welcome! I think I gained more from the experience than the children! It was so heartwarming!

Looking for a late afternoon/dinner/show tour. Do you know if he has that sort of thing. We were in Havana last year and did a great ship tour - all day and saw lots of great sights. ( Hemmingway house, fusterlanda etc...) This time we hope to explore Old Havana, and catch a show.

M

Looking for a late afternoon/dinner/show tour. Do you know if he has that sort of thing. We were in Havana last year and did a great ship tour - all day and saw lots of great sights. ( Hemmingway house, fusterlanda etc...) This time we hope to explore Old Havana, and catch a show.

M

He took us to dinner and then to the Tropicana after going on a all day tour If you email him what you want to do I am sure he will make it happen We where with him from 10am to 10pm

If I were to offer one more tip, it would be to make sure to exchange your CUCs back to USD before leaving the ship for the evening since the exchange counters at the port close at 8 pm. Our tour with Blexie was done at around 5 and we went back to the ship to change so we exchanged most of our CUCs back before leaving again. We wanted to have dinner and find some bars with music and drinks and we had to pretty closely calculate how much CUC we would need for the evening. We ended up having an extra daiquiri or 2 and left larger tips for the server and taxi driver.

We have just booked a cruise to Cuba and emailed the tour guide. Looking over the cruise form, the recommended choice would be to "support the Cuban people"? After the tour, did you have trouble going back to the ship, then going out again on your own to have dinner and cocktails in the city? How about the next day? Our ship will be docked overnight in Havana.

We have just booked a cruise to Cuba and emailed the tour guide. Looking over the cruise form, the recommended choice would be to "support the Cuban people"? After the tour, did you have trouble going back to the ship, then going out again on your own to have dinner and cocktails in the city? How about the next day? Our ship will be docked overnight in Havana.

There was no issue at all. We returned to the ship to freshen up and wait out a rainstorm and then went back through immigration and they basically waved us through. The security folks were sitting in chairs with nothing to do and got up to save us through security. There were taxis immediately in front of the port exit and we grabbed on to where we wanted to go for dinner. Same on the return - no issues at all.

One note if it matters to you..there are 2 sets of stairs that are in separate side by side hallways that are identical. There are somewhere around 75 steps you have to go down to leave the ship and back up to return. There is one elevator next to each staircase but one of them was not working when we returned around 10:30 pm. We went outside and down to the next entrance and used that elevator with no problem. Nice to know if someone couldn’t do a lot of stairs. The security guards at the entrance spoke no English so we had to figure that out ourselves.

Our ship overnighted in Havana but left at 6 am so I can’t condirm the question about the next day, however I’ve read several posts that said there has been no issues coming and going after you’ve done the one tour- even the next day. Good news is you won’t have that issue with exchanging your remaining CUCs as you leave since the desk will likely be open .

Just found out we are cruising to Cuba. I hear that Blexie is a great option for our day and a half on RCL. Do not like the ships excursions! Can someone share a link and suggested itenary for 3 couples of 60'ish folks. Absolutely any info would be appreciated. Thanks Jim

There was no issue at all. We returned to the ship to freshen up and wait out a rainstorm and then went back through immigration and they basically waved us through. The security folks were sitting in chairs with nothing to do and got up to save us through security. There were taxis immediately in front of the port exit and we grabbed on to where we wanted to go for dinner. Same on the return - no issues at all.

One note if it matters to you..there are 2 sets of stairs that are in separate side by side hallways that are identical. There are somewhere around 75 steps you have to go down to leave the ship and back up to return. There is one elevator next to each staircase but one of them was not working when we returned around 10:30 pm. We went outside and down to the next entrance and used that elevator with no problem. Nice to know if someone couldn’t do a lot of stairs. The security guards at the entrance spoke no English so we had to figure that out ourselves.

Our ship overnighted in Havana but left at 6 am so I can’t condirm the question about the next day, however I’ve read several posts that said there has been no issues coming and going after you’ve done the one tour- even the next day. Good news is you won’t have that issue with exchanging your remaining CUCs as you leave since the desk will likely be open .

Thank you! Amazing advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used Blexie last week and can't recommend his Company enough! We had Roly and he was excellent!! There was a delay in getting off the ship due to customs being backed up so we ended up being 1 1/2 hours past our meeting time. Not only was he still waiting for us, we extended our tour to the full time. Totally unexpected and much appreciated. He was full of soo much great information.

I emailed Blexie on Friday and still no answer. How long did it take for him to return your email?

He does not have email at his apt has to go to a internet spot . We waited a few days before he answered. If he doesn't try Face book. Are you using a Gmail account ? We had better luck with that

Found Blexie on FB- went to his website and got a prompt reply

Super excited that he can accommodate us

Can someone give me an idea about $

1- tour fee- 130 CDC

(would need museum fees too, yes?) How much would you say?

2- lunch for 4... would be some place the guide recommends..

3 -we'd pay for the tour guide/driver's lunch I guess as part of the day +2 lunch

4- dinner in Havana (4)

5- drinks in Havana --hopefully someplace with live music-- (don't know if we can arrange to do this with the guide

6- rum purchases and cigars

7- taxi to pier? have no clue

What did YOU spend on your day/night in Havana

TYIA

We paid $140 for a tour with fer tours . I tipped him $40.We said we only wanted a light lunch . Stopped at small lunch place 2 delicious cuban sandwiches and two beers $6.Bought rum $5 cigars $6 each . Stopped at Sloppy Joe's $4 rum drinks . The market was closed when we went .

We did. The tour was $130 and I think we gave him $180 (there were 3 of us and that was a round number) and we gave the driver around $30 I think. We gave the bar servers about the same as at home since we know they need the $ and we needed to get rid of the CUC.

Crazy question but when a tour price is quoted, is it in US $ (which then would be converted into CUCs when you pay at time of tour)? Guessing your tour was $130 but actual money paid to Blexie was in CUCs. Just trying to figure out how this will all work and how much US $$ we will need to take when we go in November. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Very informative.

You need 130.00 plus what you are tipping in CUC. So if you are exchanging US to CUC you need to add 13% more for exchange rate. On how much you need in total that will be hard to say unless you know what you are planing to buy. You can always exchange back what you do not use . We used Blexie in April and we got Eu as our bank only charges 7.50 exchange rate total no matter how much we bought, Lunch was about 20.00 Dinner was 40.00 for 2 plus tip , water was 1.00 or so drinks 8.00 Cigars depend on what you buy 5 to 25 Souvenirs are not that bad. We where with Blexie from 10.00 to 10.00 AT 9.30 he dropped us off at Tropicana we bought that online and then took cab back 25.00. All in All it was great try to take some stuff for the kids or ask him what you can donate money is not what they want ask what is there they have to but is pricey

Let me say that I always use non-cruise excursions - based mostly on what I read here on Cruise Critic. But I am concerned that the third party excursions being referred to here (Blexie, etc) are not necessarily allowed under current rules. In order to accurately complete the guest certification (application for the Visa) you have to check off whether you will be doing a full-day cruise line excursion or a full-day third-party program which has to be offered by a US sponsoring organization or one or more of the other general license categories in number 4 on the RCCL list (I'm not sure if a quick stop at the synagogue or church would meet the spirit of the Visa requirement if you spend the rest of the day in bars and other activities). You cannot do a self-guided program of people-to-people educational exchange unless you booked prior to June 16, 2017. So how is everyone justifying using Blexie or any other Cuban tour guide unless they are sanctioned by a US sponsoring organization? Most will probably never get into trouble, but what happens if you run into a problem and then have to reach out to the USA for assistance?