Just came back for Havana used Blexie OMG

hertz4319

Does Blexie do customized walking tours? We will be in Havana early next year and would like to book exclusively with locals.

Thanks.

Just email what you would like to do and he will customize it for you

Let me say that I always use non-cruise excursions - based mostly on what I read here on Cruise Critic. But I am concerned that the third party excursions being referred to here (Blexie, etc) are not necessarily allowed under current rules. In order to accurately complete the guest certification (application for the Visa) you have to check off whether you will be doing a full-day cruise line excursion or a full-day third-party program which has to be offered by a US sponsoring organization or one or more of the other general license categories in number 4 on the RCCL list (I'm not sure if a quick stop at the synagogue or church would meet the spirit of the Visa requirement if you spend the rest of the day in bars and other activities). You cannot do a self-guided program of people-to-people educational exchange unless you booked prior to June 16, 2017. So how is everyone justifying using Blexie or any other Cuban tour guide unless they are sanctioned by a US sponsoring organization? Most will probably never get into trouble, but what happens if you run into a problem and then have to reach out to the USA for assistance?

Blexie asks that you check "supporting cuban people" not the people to people block

I had already done the forms earlier this week and am going to redo them and resubmit/reprint with NCL

did the visas with NCL as per suggestions here on CC

Blexie asks that you check "supporting cuban people" not the people to people block

I had already done the forms earlier this week and am going to redo them and resubmit/reprint with NCL

did the visas with NCL as per suggestions here on CC

Yes you are supporting Cuban People you are paying him not the government. That is what makes the difference.

Let me say that I always use non-cruise excursions - based mostly on what I read here on Cruise Critic. But I am concerned that the third party excursions being referred to here (Blexie, etc) are not necessarily allowed under current rules. In order to accurately complete the guest certification (application for the Visa) you have to check off whether you will be doing a full-day cruise line excursion or a full-day third-party program which has to be offered by a US sponsoring organization or one or more of the other general license categories in number 4 on the RCCL list (I'm not sure if a quick stop at the synagogue or church would meet the spirit of the Visa requirement if you spend the rest of the day in bars and other activities). You cannot do a self-guided program of people-to-people educational exchange unless you booked prior to June 16, 2017. So how is everyone justifying using Blexie or any other Cuban tour guide unless they are sanctioned by a US sponsoring organization? Most will probably never get into trouble, but what happens if you run into a problem and then have to reach out to the USA for assistance?

We spent all day discussing life with a Cuban citizen. We visited points of interest and learned the history of Cuba and its people. We spent less then 1 hour of our tour at a restaurant. Our tour was run by locals and we had one on one time engaged and learning. Reports back from people that have taken cruise line tours are that they are run by the government. Yes they are approved but they defeat the whole purpose of not supporting the government. The buses are owned by the government. The guides are government employees, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding:

In order to accurately complete the guest certification (application for the Visa) you have to check off whether you will be doing a full-day cruise line excursion or a full-day third-party program which has to be offered by a US sponsoring organization or one or more of the other general license categories in number 4

Let's not add to the confusion.

The VISA (tourist card) is a Cuban government requirement, like any other visa to enter any other country. Cuba assumes visitors on a tourist card are tourists, and does not really care what activities you take part in or with whom.

The cruise lines and the airlines supply/sell these visas as middlemen (visas are purchased from the Cuban Embassy in DC) as a convenience to passengers. They do not emi, or in any way legally control, these visas.

Also, no US undercover spies are following you around to note what you are doing.

If you are checking off OFAC categories from a list of reasons for travel, that is a US OFAC (US government office) requirement.

If the cruise line chooses to make one dependent on the other, that is on the cruise line. (Note: The airlines do NOT do this.)

You cannot do a self-guided program of people-to-people educational exchange unless you booked prior to June 16, 2017. So how is everyone justifying using Blexie or any other Cuban tour guide unless they are sanctioned by a US sponsoring organization?

True, you can no longer do an in individual program under the People to People (educational) category (unless you booked prior to June 16, 2017).

You CAN choose "Support for the Cuban People", which includes supporting (i.e. spending money with) Cuban independent entrepreneurs/cuentapropistas like private tour guides, or private owners of classic cars, or privately owned paladares or private casa particulares (B&Bs, if you were on a land based trip), which supports the strength of civil society (vs. government run/owned) in Cuba.

Most will probably never get into trouble, but what happens if you run into a problem and then have to reach out to the USA for assistance?

What kind of problem do you seriously think the US Embassy in Havana is going to first ask what OFAC reason you are in Cuba on before they help you out, if it is a real emergency, such as a health evacuation?

(If you have broken a major Cuban law undermining the Cuban government in some way ---drugs, smuggling, spying--- they can't do much even if you are P2P with cruise excursions.)

Relax folks. Enjoy your trip, whatever you decide to do. Please don't let the cruise line bully you into something (making your visa dependent on choosing the OFAC category some port staff wants you to) you should not have to do.

• Like 1

Super excited to read this thread. We have a tour booked with Blexie on July 25th. He did tell us to check of SFTCP but I have read that RC has been insisting travelers check off #2, trying to decide if I want to fight with them or just check off what they want and get on the ship since I don't think anyone will ever look at the forms again anyway.

It was way back in March that I booked with Blexie. Jorge will be our guide. Does anyone who used him think I should confirm (don't want to cause him extra work since he doesn't have easy internet access) or should I trust that we are good to go?

We are confirmed with Blexie..

Suggested itinerary for the day?

I had thought I read here that they include a museum and some typical stops..however when I asked Blexie about how much in CUC we'd need beyond the 130... he seemed to indicate that the tour stops were up to us--and museum was not one of them unless we asked...

We don't know what to ask for--

TYIA

We are confirmed with Blexie..

Suggested itinerary for the day?

I had thought I read here that they include a museum and some typical stops..however when I asked Blexie about how much in CUC we'd need beyond the 130... he seemed to indicate that the tour stops were up to us--and museum was not one of them unless we asked...

We don't know what to ask for--

TYIA[/qu

Look on line or see who went where in the forums

We asked him to take us here Museum of the Revolution

Mandream.....I don’t tour with Blexie until November (our guide will be Raul) but I’ve heard many great things about Lauren. She speaks perfect English and everyone that has had her as their guide loved her. From what I’ve read, you’ll be in great hands.

Mandream.....I don’t tour with Blexie until November (our guide will be Raul) but I’ve heard many great things about Lauren. She speaks perfect English and everyone that has had her as their guide loved her. From what I’ve read, you’ll be in great hands.

Thank you so much for letting me know.

We just got back from Havana. We also booked our tour with Blexie. Our guide was Raul. There was also a driver. We had a wonderful day. There were 8 of us.

How was Raul? I thought I booked specifically with Blexie months ago but when I just emailed him a question he said Raul would be our guide. He also said to bring an SD card and Raul would take pictures. Did he do that for you? How was his photography?

How was Raul? I thought I booked specifically with Blexie months ago but when I just emailed him a question he said Raul would be our guide. He also said to bring an SD card and Raul would take pictures. Did he do that for you? How was his photography?

I will also have Raul as my (our) guide in November.

I’d love to know more about him and your tour... travel281.

Any details you can tell us about your day with him would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

We toured Havana with Blexie (Roly was our guide) last week. Absolutely amazing and highly recommended. One thing we added that wasn't on his usual tour was a trip to a cigar factory (which was also very cool and highly recommended).

Emailed Blexie yesterday due to strength of reviews on these boards and already received a response. Excited to visit Cuba in October!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I emailed him on Wednesday and haven't heard back yet (I've checked my spam so its not there). Should I email again or just be patient? We do have plenty of time since we're not going until January.

Marianne

We had a fantastic time with Blexie. Please be aware he conducts his own tours so he is not available during the day to answer e-mails. Also in Cuba wireless internet is only available in parks. So when he gets home from a tour all day. He goes to the park and answers e-mails. If it is raining he can not go to the park. Please be patient in waiting for a reply from him. Trust me it will be worth the wait. His tour was in the top two for us and we have been on 16 cruises. Thanks Stewart

I have a tour scheduled four trip in September. Could you tell me if the quote for pricing is per person, or for the group? There are two of us. I don't think I asked this question.

I emailed him on Wednesday and haven't heard back yet (I've checked my spam so its not there). Should I email again or just be patient? We do have plenty of time since we're not going until January.

Marianne

I’d give him a week. If no response then try again

I have a tour scheduled four trip in September. Could you tell me if the quote for pricing is per person, or for the group? There are two of us. I don't think I asked this question.

$130 per car/guide.

Where did you go different on your tour from what is listed on his website?( if anywhere) Did you buy anythOmg unusual .., other than typical t shirts, rum , cigars, art? Thank you in advance for your help....