Anthem

Hi, I would love some information on the 5 day Bermuda sailing (July) on the Anthem-- current shows, nightly onboard events and favorite things to do. Specialty restaurants to book or avoid? When does the window open for IFly--or is it already closed? Any thoughts on the Anthem's SL or CK? This is our first time on a Quantum class ship but we are long time cruisers. Any info is so appreciated! Thank you!

And here is a link from a more recent one from this year, I believe it was the first 5-night sailing to Bermuda of the season: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2630970&highlight=anthem

For July, your window for booking activities (iFly, North Star) and shows should already be open. It can open anywhere from 120-90 days in advance of your sailing. Shows are The Gift, We Will Rock You and Spectra's Caberet. Do not miss Spectra, it's a great show in a great venue.

Chops is great on Anthem, similar to other ships. Jamie's is good also...different than Giovannis, so some people prefer one to the other. Wonderland is more adventurous, so if that's your thing I would take a look, if not then maybe avoid.

Thank you! The only on board activities showing up are the Flow Rider and ship tour. The others do not even show up as existing. Does this mean they are sold out? Also- how early do you need to get to the shows and any tips on where to sit? Thanks again!

Chops Grill was very good. We didn’t like Jamie’s, but we do not usually eat Italian food even on land. We also enjoyed the Solarium Bistro for dinner as an alternative to the MDR or Windjammer. You can book your activities like the North Star once you get on the ship on the app with your phone. The Gift was kind of strange so we left early.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, I would love some information on the 5 day Bermuda sailing (July) on the Anthem-- current shows, nightly onboard events and favorite things to do. Specialty restaurants to book or avoid? When does the window open for IFly--or is it already closed? Any thoughts on the Anthem's SL or CK? This is our first time on a Quantum class ship but we are long time cruisers. Any info is so appreciated! Thank you!

I am on the July 7 Anthem sailing. The online booking window for I Fly has closed. However I have been told you can make reservations on board.

The 3 main shows are currently available for booking in the cruise planner.

Thank you! The only on board activities showing up are the Flow Rider and ship tour. The others do not even show up as existing. Does this mean they are sold out? Also- how early do you need to get to the shows and any tips on where to sit? Thanks again!

We've been on Anthem a few times and did the Bermuda 5 nighter last June.

You can book activities/shows when you get onboard. Actually for NorthStar we happened to walk by the last sea day and there was no wait so up we went.

Download the RC app. Your entire schedule will show as will the cruise compass. You can also book things on it.

Spectra's--get to that one about 45 min early to have prime choice of seating. Make sure you go in the line for reservations if you've made one. We did not care for the front rows, but sat in the last row of couches on the lower level. Upper level is a good view too. The Gift I don't remember how early we got there, but we had not made reservations and walked right in. Not a long show and we didn't care for it. WE WILL ROCK YOU was great. Story line was silly but the performers and music was outstanding. DO NOT LEAVE until they play Bohemian Rhapsody. People get up and leave when they come out to bow but it is not over!

Agree that CHOPS was fabulous. We didn't care much for Jamie's. We find the included-in-fare restaurants to be good.

ENJOY. We LOVE Anthem.

Edited by mizLORInj

Just got off this sailing. My thoughts

Spectra show was not good...not worth going early to get a seat that's for sure.

Do bumper cars first day...no line at all could ride as many times as you want.

Pool bar ....look for Cheryl and Putu with the drink cart. Awesome service!

Rock hall was our hang out every night. Really enjoyed our time there. 70's night super fun!

Room service breakfast was blah.

Ate at coastal kitchen. Best food of the trip. Had "K" as our waiter. Cannot say enough about how great he was. If eating there request him...

Wonderland was underwhelming to say the least. Couple things were really good...rest was mediocre. Service was painfully slow. Highlight was actually K from coastal kitchen coming down to say hello and he brought us 2 bottle of champagne!

We pre booked ifly north star and puzzle break. But talking with others they were able to book those things when they got on the ship.

Drink package definitely worth it if you like to hang at the pool all day and dance all night. Most drinks cost 9 ton13 dollars each.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Right when you board, make reservations for iFly and North Star. They keep reservations open for embarkation day. There is a booking area with iPads near the Royal Esplanade.

The main theater is set up similar to the other Royal Theaters. For Spectra's Caberet, its more of a lounge and there's a certainly level of interaction in that the show is happening around you. So if you want to experience it, sit on the main level and up close. If not, there is a balcony with standard seating. Quest was held in that venue when I was on Anthem last, same goes for that.

Thank you all! How is the Escape room (Puzzle break) and is it hard to book? Can you access the cruise app before the cruise? Finally, I need help with Bermuda if anyone has ideas. I am usually not at a loss when booking excursions. I posted on the port thread but not much feedback. Thanks again!!!

Thank you all! How is the Escape room (Puzzle break) and is it hard to book? Can you access the cruise app before the cruise? Finally, I need help with Bermuda if anyone has ideas. I am usually not at a loss when booking excursions. I posted on the port thread but not much feedback. Thanks again!!!

Download the app, and once you get onboard connect to their wifi and enter your cabin # and name I think. It works from then on .

We ate at Coastal Kitchen one night of the five onboard. It was very good. We booked it maybe the second night. I looked over the menus and we decided which we liked best and chose that night. Chose to eat at other venues the rest of the nights. We like variety.

Bermuda. Beach. Restless Native catamaran, ferries, buses. Blue Hole park. Ride bicycle. Rent small motorboat. Usually Ports of Call has activity, but Bermuda season is just starting up.

Puzzle break was ok. I'm used to rooms that follow a progression. This one all clues seem to be at once. Worth doing bc it's free. 4 people walked in with no reservations. We did rising son catamaran and took the ferry to Hamilton. We were also there on a Monday and went to snorkel park at night. Party with the locals and crew of the ships in port.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Will I cost me if I connect to Anthem’s WiFi? I’m not getting an internet package

You only need to pay for VOOM if you want internet access. You would still have access to RC sites for free.

I guess I will now confuse the situation by saying that Chops on Anthem is much worse than on Oasis or Harmony and Jamie's is always fantastic. Solarium Bistro is never talked about but is a healthier alternative after a couple nights of heavy meals.

Bumper cars at least once will be worth the wait.

Be sure to see the caves when in Bermuda.

Edited by Shacky316

Will I cost me if I connect to Anthem’s WiFi? I’m not getting an internet package

I don't get their internet package because I don't mind disconnecting -- and I was able to see our schedule, book things, see the $ balance, etc. using the app. You can also do a lot from the interactive TV in your cabin.

Someone mentioned Solarium Bistro. Nice place for brunch that's smaller than the Windjammer. Also good dinner here.

A friend is leaving Saturday on Anthem and I'm trying to remember all these little tips (like Solarium Bistro and to download the RC app) to tell her too.

I guess I will now confuse the situation by saying that Chops on Anthem is much worse than on Oasis or Harmony and Jamie's is always fantastic. Solarium Bistro is never talked about but is a healthier alternative after a couple nights of heavy meals.

Bumper cars at least once will be worth the wait.

Be sure to see the caves when in Bermuda.

Forget the marketing hype about the Solarium. It was awful awful awful for dinner. Add to the fact that the waiter asked us to upgrade to a lobster dinner at least 6 time before we told him to go away. We even resorted to ordering a menu item which was awful.

I don't have anything to compare it to but I did the escape room and thought it was quite difficult. It took me a bit to really get the concept.

I like Spectra's Cabaret. It's not super long and the venue is very unique. I love We Will Rock You, very talented cast.

Do not wait on line to make reservations for shows. They will have a box office set up but the line is long. Even if you don't use the app on your phone, you can just go up to the tablets and book from there. The first of these will be on deck 5 at excursions directly across from where you board. The tablets are great for checking your schedule or your bill. Your TV has the same functions. I also like to check the menus from the TV too.

As for nightly events, I'm a big fan of the live music on Anthem. Just walk around and check out the Music Hall or various bars and see what's going on. Some are better than others. There's a lot of fun art pieces to look at too if you take the steps.

Two negatives with Anthem. One is more of an annoyance, they clog the middle of deck 4 with tables and racks of things for sale. It can make it hard to pass through, and since the cafe and the drink machine is here, it can be a problem. The other issue is a completely unchecked chair hog problem in the Solarium. Still, the positives far outweigh the negatives to me. I'm booked for my third cruise on Anthem soon.

Thank you! If in a suite with full access to the CK, is it best to eat most meals there? Do you miss anything not being in the MDR or specialty restaurants?

Will there likely be a celebrity entertainer on a 5 night Bermuda cruise? We usually sail longer but have had some pretty big names in the past.

Thank you!

Thank you! If in a suite with full access to the CK, is it best to eat most meals there? ...

Why don't you try the MDR one night and CK another night and decide which you like better?

One is more of an annoyance, they clog the middle of deck 4 with tables and racks of things for sale.

I haven't been on a cruise ship on any cruise line where this hasn't been an issue. Since the shops can only open at sea they have set it up so passengers trip over it in order to obtain sales. It also gives the appearance they you are getting a real bargain.

I haven't been on a cruise ship on any cruise line where this hasn't been an issue. Since the shops can only open at sea they have set it up so passengers trip over it in order to obtain sales. It also gives the appearance they you are getting a real bargain.

Agreed. The tables in the Promenade/Esplanade and the chair log issue can be found on almost every single cruise ship. Just have to learn to live with it and enjoy! On Anthem, the Esplanade has a balcony, unlike the promenade, where cruisers can actually walk (not just a platform for performers). The bionic bar and Wonderland are up there. It's not so bad to go up a flight to get through the mess and then take the staircase down by the music hall.

Food venues to consider on Anthem. We pretty much ate all our breakfasts and lunches at either 270 or Solarium Bistro. I only had one breakfast in the WJ and that was on disembarkation day. We did not have access to CK so we tried, Jamies, Wonderland and Izumi. We loved all 3. We also found the MDR to be better than what I was expecting. From reading some reviews, I half expected to walk out of MDR and eat a protein bar instead, but we always managed to come out well fed.

The Music Hall is a great venue to spend some time, and also 270. Great spaces.

As I learned from previous Anthemers, on embarkation day, we headed straight to the coffee shop just below the gangway entrance. Picked up a coffee, gathered a few others in our group and headed to the Seaplex. Kids got on Bumper cars 2 or 3 times, and we all had hot dogs at the Dog House. We setup shop there at the tables to gather all our IDs for texting using the Royal IQ texting app and tested their function. We had a group of about 6 families so this made communication much easier. A few of us had to go to GS to have the account reset for whatever reason but it worked after that. Hung around there till rooms opened up.

Hope you have a great cruise.

dp

I need help with Bermuda if anyone has ideas. I am usually not at a loss when booking excursions. I posted on the port thread but not much feedback. Thanks again!!!

This is really down to what you like to do and want to do.

We're going later this month (same 5-night itinerary). We're planning to spend a morning at Horseshoe Bay (we live 10 mins from the beach, but HB is in my top 2-3 favorite beaches in the world), then spend that afternoon at the Dockyards just wandering aimlessly (I've been there on 4 other cruises). The other day, we're planning to ferry over to St. George's because we're both history geeks. And, of course, we'll stop by the Frog & Onion.

In the past, I've gone over to Hamilton (which isn't quite as touristy as your Caribbean capitals), taken a glass-bottom boat tour (waste of $$ in my opinion), and just explored the island.

Bermuda may not have the variety of excursions many Caribbean islands do, but it has more than enough to suit just about any taste.