Live from Volendam! May 9-16 Alaska Inside Passage from Vancouver

Kesstral

Renting a car also. Is there that much to see past Emerald Lake on the way to Whitehorse? Many people turn around @ the lake.
It was only maybe 45 min past Carcross to get to Whitehorse. We wanted to do some shopping (trying to find a dress for my daughter) so had a reason to make The drive.

The scenery changes a bit to more trees and wide valleys but wouldn't say it's any better than the view up to Carcross.

We didn't stop for many sights (due to 3 year old schedule and fog on the way up) so round trip we were there and back in 6 hours. If you want to stop for lots of photos or a long lunch make sure to add that time.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

Glacier bay today! Managed to sleep in until almost 7am then had a very light breakfast and dropped my daughter off at the kids club for an hour. Caught the Lamplugh and John Hopkins glaciers before the mother's day brunch at 10am the Margerie glacier just after 11.

It's been grey and rainy all day so the mountains have been shrouded. At least the glaciers have all been visible. Got to see some calving off the Margerie glacier but the big action was around the corner from where the ship was sitting.

It's gala night #2 tonight, surf and turf. I managed to find a dress for my daughter yesterday in Whitehorse so we're going to try for a family photo tonight.

Speaking of my daughter, she's been enjoying Club HAL but seems to be the only 3-6 year old thats been going on port days. More of the young kids were there today and they went for ice cream in the lido earlier. I tried to get her to go earlier for the jr ranger session but she napped for 2 hours and refused to wake (better for her to be well rested I guess).

Tomorrow we're in Ketchikan from 10am to 6pm. My husband and I are doing a kayak tour with Southeast Seas (again, did this tour in 2014) and the weather sounds like it's going to be much improved. It looks like it's 30 Celsius back home! I had just transplanted my garden before we left so I really hope my friend is keeping it watered and alive :S

20180513_113415.thumb.jpg.0ba34dbb835a4f04ac1f62c6e68daf0c.jpg

20180513_085739.thumb.jpg.dc79eb6c8d23af14a0bea69dba2ce39f.jpg

20180513_093030.thumb.jpg.3b6e874618a0286bef064acaa74ae16d.jpg

We're headed back south, almost as far down as Sitka (my husband is so sad we're not going there this trip, it was his favourite port). The weather has finally shifted and the clouds have parted. Caught a rainbow outside our window at dinner tonight.

It was the second gala night tonight. Surf and turf on the menu so I gave my husband my lobster (I'm not big on seafood) and my waiter brought me a second filet mignon (they were tiny). My daughter had chicken strips AGAIN but she did enjoy a few bits of my steak.

My daughter is watching a movie in Club HAL tonight so letting her stay up a little late. 20180513_202408.thumb.jpg.c73431536b5739724e73c47c4c895519.jpg

20180513_180327.thumb.jpg.38b8026d2ab0b18852c919f511687265.jpg

We arrived into Ketchikan about an hour early. They announced the bingo drawing had to be pushed back until this evening (due to being in port).

We decided to try breakfast in the dining room this morning (didnt do pinnacle grill due to lack of windows) but realized after it was probably a mistake. Took forever to get a refill on our coffee (and cream) and our food. They forgot the baked beans and extra hashbrown for my husband (beans were supposed to come with the English breakfast).

It's sunny but chilly in Ketchikan this morning. We're waiting for our kayak tour watching oblivious tourists nearly get killed walking down the middle of the street. Its a 4 ship day today (which I think is a record for my trips to Ketchikan) so the town is very busy.

I had dropped my daughter off at club HAL but she had a meltdown right before we left so I had to pick her up and leave with grandma. Side note, a crying child can be heard down the hall for a ways. :( (And yes I am very upset that my daughter is upset)20180514_104023.thumb.jpg.3ea9817baf07e39de084ace7716ec64c.jpg

Enjoying your LIVE report. Thanks so much for taking us along. We have dear friends on the Island Princess so it's really been fun for me to follow you. We are on the Noordam next month, YVR-Seward. Like you, we are renting a car in Skagway.

Last day today. :(

Apparently we're not sailing the inside passage along the BC coast so didnt pick up any pilots last night. Going to see if I can find out the details at the captain q&a at 3pm. We're sailing the open water north of Vancouver Island at the moment. 8 foot swells earlier so rocking but not too bad (my stomach says otherwise). We recieved a $34 per person credit to our onboard account due to the itinerary change. I did find out that we aren't passing through the Seymour narrows until 1am so a little dissapointed. We should be passing under the Lions Gate bridge at 630am.

I've spent some time today getting the bags sorted and packed. My daughter hasn't wanted to go back to kids club since yesterday morning but hoping she will go for a bit this afternoon. Turns out she only cried for grandma for about 10 min.

Our kayak tour yesterday was amazing (again). We had great weather and totally took credit for it (we're 2 for 2 having sunny days in Ketchikan kayaking).

We had breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill this morning and it was way better than yesterday in the main dining room. Coffee was refilled promptly and our orders were correct.

We missed the Mariner lunch at 1130am. I wanted to go but wasn't hungry and my daughter was irritable. Ended up walking her around the ship until she fell asleep.

Tonight my husband and I have dinner in the Pinnacle Grill and my mom and daughter will probably do room service.

Overall the staff have been amazing. Everyone has been smiling and waving at our daughter. She's made a few friends in the lido and one of the lido servers was in the Pinnacle Grill this morning so it was nice that she addressed our daughter by name.

20180514_122849.thumb.jpg.edea8107dde52472f989f51d2f08e3b5.jpg

20180514_201506.thumb.jpg.ee9eb8463580c3207a0a805f099bf5dc.jpg

20180515_114918.thumb.jpg.b5f0ba01fef304ba814cf019e5022c55.jpg

A side note on the internet packages. When we boarded you could purchase the packages for the full 7 days at a discount.

We ended up having Canadian cellular coverage until we went to bed (went through the narrows around midnight) so didnt actually need to purchase the ship data until the next day.

Had I waited the 500mb per day package was only $119 for the remaining 6 days (and the other packages were proportionally cheaper as well). The packages reduced in price and continued to be discounted until at least 3 days left the 300mb package was $44.99 (reg 24.99 per day) and the social only was 29.99 (reg 14.99 per day). I didnt grab a screen shot of the 500mb package at that time but I think it was 59.99).

So if you are Canadian you can probably wait until the second day to buy internet (when sailing from vancouver). Otherwise if you don't need the internet right away, can be assured that you still get a discount even if you don't pay for all 7 days at once.

Beautiful photos! Next month is our first ever cruise and we will be on Westerdam. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but is there a fee for PG breakfast ( like there is for dinner)? Thank you

For breakfast the Pinnacle Grill is open for Pinnacle Suite and Neptune Suite guests only. There is no fee for these guests. Wishing you a wonderful first cruise! You are in for a treat.

Just around northern Vancouver Island and picked up Canadian cell service!

Finally took my daughter in the pool (She was scared at first but then disnt want to leave). The concierge stopped by after we got back and gave my daughter a teddy bear. That was really sweet and my daughter is super excited (She hasn't put it down yet).

We have dinner tonight in the Pinnacle Grill but I see baked Alaska is finally on the dessert menu! If I can't get it in PG I will have to order room service (cant go to Alaska without it).20180515_174307.thumb.jpg.9d84a7446ccd279932755474ae18f9c2.jpg

20180515_174805.thumb.jpg.1f8dbdfee3dd062ea1efa2ca44bd792c.jpg

For breakfast the Pinnacle Grill is open for Pinnacle Suite and Neptune Suite guests only. There is no fee for these guests. Wishing you a wonderful first cruise! You are in for a treat.

Thank you for clarifying. And for the good wishes!

Ok the captain popped into the Neptune lounge for a snack while I was getting a coffee so I asked about why we didn't come back down through the inside passage like we sailed out through. Apparently we were never planning to go that way (so I still don't know what the credit back to our account was for) as we need to be at least 12 nm away from shore for a bit. I'm guessing were discharging waste?

I just got back from the Pinnacle Grill. Omg I dont think I can eat again for a week. I couldn't finish my dessert. I had the 10oz filet mignon and it was amazing.

Now to walk my daughter around the lower promenade again and hope she gets sleepy after her late nap.

Finally home and the laundry is on.

We went to the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast again today around 7:15am (after fighting with my daughter to wake up), was nice and quiet. They didn't call the express self disembarkation people until at least 7:35/7:45am. While we were eating breakfast we saw 5 CBSA officers enter the restaurant and go through into the kitchen. Our group (black 3 or suite guests) was called just after 8am. We had finished our food (as much as we were possibly going to eat after the week) and decided to just head out. There were lots of people waiting around to get off the ship but no delays for us. Scanned our cards for the last time to get off the ship (it makes an annoying loud noise when my daughter's is scanned), picked up our luggage, handed the customs form to the officer and made our way to the car. We were on the road by about 8:30am and made it home to Chilliwack by 9:50am. I dropped my daughter off at day care and am now getting caught up with work emails :(

I will post a little more later and make sure I get all the menus and "when and where's" uploaded. Coming home from a cruise always sucks, stupid reality.

Finally home and the laundry is on...........

......I will post a little more later and make sure I get all the menus and "when and where's" uploaded. Coming home from a cruise always sucks, stupid reality.

Yes, I agree; return to reality always bites.:(

Thanks for allowing us to "tag along" with you and your family on your cruise. Appreciate your gorgeous photos, the menus, and daily programs. Hope your readjustment to land life goes well, and I also hope you booked another cruise!:D