formal nights!

Holey

Shorts aren't allowed in the MDR ..... after 6 pm.

It depends on the "gatekeeper".

Baseball caps are not challenged and no one will ever challenge a female wearing shorts... the occasional guy slips in every cruise and not because of missing luggage.

It depends on the "gatekeeper".

Baseball caps are not challenged and no one will ever challenge a female wearing shorts... the occasional guy slips in every cruise and not because of missing luggage.

Every single dress code thread, someone mentions seeing passengers in shorts in the MDR, so I don't doubt what you are saying. But, I have never once seen anyone in shorts in the MDR after 6 pm. I have seen the maitre d' turn guests away who were wearing shorts.

Every single dress code thread, someone mentions seeing passengers in shorts in the MDR, so I don't doubt what you are saying. But, I have never once seen anyone in shorts in the MDR after 6 pm. I have seen the maitre d' turn guests away who were wearing shorts.

And I have been with people who were turned away wearing shorts.

So, the couple that my husband and I will be on our Alaskan cruise with are planning to go Late Victorian - yes, the posh frocks worn at the end of the nineteenth century, which we will be joining them on. To be fair, we participate in living history events, and are looking forward to the Evening Chic night on our cruise to do this. Wearing this makes us happy. I would say, wear whatever makes you happy! :)

Just got off Eclipse after a cruise to Iceland. Most people did dress differently on Evening Chic nights but I only saw one or two DJs (or tuxedos depending on where you hail from). They certainly weren't out of place because everyone knows the format and people wear what they feel chic in.

Personally, I wore a lightweight dark blue suit and tie and my wife wore a cocktail dress as she did on smart-casual nights with me in my chinos and short sleeves. Some ladies from perhaps Asia were wearing their finery with hats. The coolest guy, I think, wore a trilby and showed us the way with his dancing. Others had jackets and open neck shirts and some wore jeans. As long as you follow the dress code then anything goes.

If you want to wear long dresses and dinner jackets then you'll be fine; in fact you'll likely get compliments. If however, you want to see everyone else dressed the same way, then I would recommend P&O or Cunard. Each one a good line IMO with of course Cunard being the more formal.

I was also going to refer to Cunard. A transatlantic winter crossing is definitely the right conditions for formal.

I must say I found it more difficult on a med cruise in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, the couple that my husband and I will be on our Alaskan cruise with are planning to go Late Victorian - yes, the posh frocks worn at the end of the nineteenth century, which we will be joining them on. To be fair, we participate in living history events, and are looking forward to the Evening Chic night on our cruise to do this. Wearing this makes us happy. I would say, wear whatever makes you happy! :)

Just as an FYI, Alaska cruises are probably the least dressed cruises of all of Celebrities cruises. Very few people will be in formal clothes. We had to travel cross country and were much more concerned with bringing layered clothing for our excursions.

The comment by an earlier poster that women in shorts are never questioned is just factually untrue.

Just as an FYI, Alaska cruises are probably the least dressed cruises of all of Celebrities cruises. Very few people will be in formal clothes. We had to travel cross country and were much more concerned with bringing layered clothing for our excursions.

The comment by an earlier poster that women in shorts are never questioned is just factually untrue.

Your facts may differ from mine ;)... but I asked the CC Host about this and my observation was confirmed.

There are people who conform to suggestions and others who flaunt their independence.

I even asked the maitre'd why so few people are challenged after successfully slipping by the busy people at the entrance. If I had a better camera I would provide the proof but then again they are not at our table so I don't really care but my eyesight is still good.

Your facts may differ from mine ;)... but I asked the CC Host about this and my observation was confirmed.

There are people who conform to suggestions and others who flaunt their independence.

I even asked the maitre'd why so few people are challenged after successfully slipping by the busy people at the entrance. If I had a better camera I would provide the proof but then again they are not at our table so I don't really care but my eyesight is still good.

I have seen it happen and also have personal experience in that a member of our traveling party was requested to go change. Don’t know how the CC host knows the rules of the various dining rooms.

DH & I also love to dress in formal wear on Chic nights and will continue to do so. You won't be alone dressing up.

Thankyou:cocktail:

You didn't annoy anyone. There is nothing wrong with your question. Have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Thank you just thought i may have opened a can of worms didnt want to annoy!

Thank you just thought i may have opened a can of worms didnt want to annoy!

nah, some just like to argue. If it wasn't dress it would be tips or beverage packages or chair hogs or children or babies or something else.

Lots o' hot buttons for all.

Wear what you like and think is appropriate and have fun. Your fellow passengers won't, as a rule, care what you wear as long as you don't expose your too much of your undies on purpose.

Have a nice cruise.