LIVE - Anthem 9 Day Caribbean Cruise Brief Review as I Cruise

I thought I might do a day by day but another cruiser did it so well, I think I won't be as detailed. I will be quite brief but add what I think is important as I go. Feel free to ask questions!

I listened to the Bon Jovi cover band tonight. EXCELLENT. They are in the Music Hall Bar. The bar staff had a heavy hand with my drinks (unlike NCL where I am convinced they water down drinks) and were extremely attentive.

I also heard a Jon Mayer cover band while relaxing on the Promenade this evening at around 11 PM. Not sure where they were playing but they (or maybe one guy) were very good.

For anyone with a suite, the Coastal Kitchen is FANTASTIC. Anytime they have tomato soup (always available at lunch but also available, albeit it a different recipe of tomato soup, night one at dinner), you must have it. MUST. Also, the wait staff in this restaurant cannot be nicer and more attentive. They really will do/make anything for you. They remember everything you like/don't like after one meal. Its truly amazing and I have not experienced this type of service and professionalism on another ship.

I have not explored the Main Dining Room yet but I might tomorrow night. (Dinner Menus for the next night are left in the room by the room steward when they make up the bed/room during the day).

If you are interested in art, show up one hour at a minimum after the time listed for the art auction. This auctioneer wastes tons of time registering people and showing movies of the artists before he starts the auction.

Formal night seemed more casual than I am used to aka closer to a NCL formal night experience. Only about 30% seemed formally dressed. I assume many hit the buffet.

The concierge lounge was pretty empty the two nights I have been there. The service is fantastic though. Complimentary drinks and snacks start at 430. They cant fill your drinks fast enough.

The line to get into the Pier was backed up by 12 noon-ish. Be prepared to arrive early or come later. It took at least a half hour to get the car to the front of the line of cars to unload the luggage.

If handicapped and need a wheel chair up the ramp to the ship, the wait is LONG. Be prepared. There is a waiting area to sit though.

Check in at 1 PM-ish (once in the pier) was VERY quick. NO lines.

Luggage came to the room by 230.

Unfortunately, it was quite windy and rainy the first 2 days on the ship so I did not do that much. I havent even explored outside (pool area etc.) yet. Tomorrow is Bermuda and I will check out Hamilton by public bus (best way to explore the island in my opinion), check out the rest of the ship and report back.

PS The VOOM internet is the BEST internet I have experienced on a cruise. Hands down.

Did you arrive at the pier at noon because of the coast guard inspection or something??

How's the weather in Bermuda today? What will you be doing there?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Forums mobile app

I arrived about 1230 actually, after noon, since my father lives in Brooklyn and it takes us 20 mnuites to drive over to the Pier. No need to rush for a noon boarding in my opinion. Coast was inspecting until 12.

Bermuda weather is 84 degrees. There are clouds but it’s a pretty day. It is sunny but sun is partially covered by clouds. It’s not a rainy day by any means.

I always take the bus in Bermuda. Sometimes visit the caves or the swizzle in and I might hit Hamilton and a small beach I like that has sea glass.

Are the MDR menus the "new menus" with starter, entree, dessert on one page and classics mixed in with the others? Thanks!

I have a Day 2 menu in front of me now. It has four bolded sections: 1) Starters (8 items) 2) Main Courses (8 items) 3) Desserts (8 items) and 4) Premium Selections (3 items ranging from 16.95 to 34.95).

I have not had a meal there yet as I have eaten in the Coastal Kitchen for dinner each night but there are 5 classic aka 'repeat each night' items in the Starters section, 4 (I think) repeat items in the Main Courses and 6 (I think) repeat items in the desserts. I am off probably on the repeat items as I have not seen more than one main dinning room menu so far. I just know the items are familiar from the Coastal Kitchen.

I did eat in the Wind Jammer today. I did not like it. Lack of any healthy items other than salad. Tremendously greasy burgers. Super dry chicken burgers.

I was surprised that a can of soda was over $4 as well. Last cruise I took on another line they were under $2.50.

:( My white Russian last night was about 12.50. Seeing NYC drink prices on a cruise is surprising for me. Never used to be that way. I am not sure if its just this cruise line but my drinks on my last cruise were always about 9 bucks. That was NCL.

Anyone even considering trying to sleep on the pull out couch....don't. Some how I received wrong info about the beds being split in a suite room and I am relegated to the pull out couch. My back is a disaster and its only day 3 (this is even with a mattress topper). I am probably going to have to go to the medical office for help or drink my way into oblivion for the rest of the cruise....just so I can walk upright as I walk crumpled over now. I wonder if its less costly to drink a ton or see the doctor onboard....probably the latter.

Please give us a detailed report on your bumper car experience.

My bumper car experience will be as follows:

The end.

(Hehehe....sorry...bad joke.....I actually won’t be going as I have multiple herniations with surgeries for each in my neck and back. That means no bumper cars for me).

Today is a Day at Sea. Weather is incredible. Tomorrow is St Martin. Slept in and had lunch in the dining room. As I explained in another post, it was a bad experience. The staff was great in our immediate presence but would congregate and chat or read over the comment cards together and discuss them close by to us. I also did not like my seafood roll or its substitute, the salmon. The seafood tasted funny and had way too much mayo. The salmon was overcooked and dry. It was a thick piece also so I was surprised. Art auction again. It was ok. I don't go to buy but just to pass some time. Trivia was excellent in the Schooner Bar. Loads of watch and jewelry 'sales' and a belly flop contest later, I am heading off soon to the Concierge Level for drinks.

Tonight there is some puppet show I might go to at 830 or so. Haven't seen one of those in over 40 years.

The rock band (The Swedes) last night was great and tonight the Bon Jovi Cover Band is playing again. I will head to that at 10. Will check back in tonight or tomorrow.

I have 930 am reservations for the North Star before arriving in St Martin so I will report back on that as well.

Happy Cruising hope all is well. We are on your itinerary also in few weeks if you can let us know how many and where the Freestyle coke machines are located on board??

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t look for them as I’m not on any beverage plan but I did see one in the WindJammer. Sorry.

Are you saving the cruise compasses? Does anyone know if someone has them already for this 9 day cruise they have shared?

I might have them but I can’t post them. I. Ertainly don’t mean to save them but I don’t think I’ve tossed any yet either. If you really want them, I can mail them to you.

Happy Cruising hope all is well. We are on your itinerary also in few weeks if you can let us know how many and where the Freestyle coke machines are located on board??

Thanks in advance

Freestyle machines on Anthem are located in the Windjammer, La Patisserie, and the Seaplex. I don't really remember how many of them there were. I think 2 in windjammer and 1 in the other two places, but don't quote me on that.

Freestyle machines on Anthem are located in the Windjammer, La Patisserie, and the Seaplex. I don't really remember how many of them there were. I think 2 in windjammer and 1 in the other two places, but don't quote me on that.

The freestyle machine is in Sorrentos not La Patisserie.

Next question is.. When your in port of call locations is Anthem the only ship or are you one of many ships vying for excursions restaurants, shops???

Every cruise is different. My cruise will be different then yours.

So far though, we have been the only ship in each port. Trust me, ports are equipped to handle multiple ships anyway.

The restaurants or should I say one restaurant in st Martin, hard rock, was barely used. Old San Juan can handle anything . Bermuda also can handle anything as well.

Same goes for shops. There aren’t many now in st Martin downtown that are open or worth going to. I’ve not been off the ship yet for OLd San Juan but I’m sure they can handle tons of shoppers as I’ve been there many times before (but not post hurricane). Bermuda at least in Hamilton doesn’t have too much open but they can handle crowds ( but there aren’t any).

Enjoying your cruise report.
thank you. I know it’s not a typical one but someone else just did a fantastic one so there wasn’t much to add but my personal experience as extras.

Is there anyway you can post the menu's in the order of the day they are offered. We are trying to plan our visit to Chops one night were the MDR isn't as appealing.

TIA,

Is there anyway you can post the menu's in the order of the day they are offered. We are trying to plan our visit to Chops one night were the MDR isn't as appealing.

TIA,

Sorry, but no. I cant post photos and also, its halfway through and I don't keep the print menus that are placed in the room.

However, when you board, u can go to your tv and you can read all the menus. They are posted by day on the tv. Then you can make your dining decisions.