What to do in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise

floralscent

We have cruised out of Fort Lauderdale countless times and we always fly in the day before departure just to make sure we are there and rested for sail day.

This time we are considering flying in mid-week and taking 3 or so days to sight-see and relax prior to cruise day but I am wondering what people like to do or see in Fort Lauderdale or surrounding areas. The only places we have visited are restaurants close to port and Total Wine, all of which we have walked to. We like the beach, nature and although I love shopping...my other half would not see that as a vacation at all. What do you like to do in Fort Lauderdale?

At this time we have not selected a place to stay or have plans to rent a car. If we were to stay at a hotel or rental home that was not close to port, how we we handle car rental return without too much hassle on cruise day?

Thank you so much for any input you can give us. I have planned many trips both domestic and international and find it to be just as fun as the actual trip but for some reason this trip is stressing me out when I think about the logistics of flying in early and figuring out fun things to do without being bored. Please help!

I appreciate it!

We enjoy the harbor taxi. Get off and on at any stop or just ride around all day if the weather is good.

One year, when we had a rental car, took an air-boat ride. It's was about an hour west of FLL. Saw lot's of gators and birds.

The Water Taxi is fun, and very frequently recommended here.

As we have sailed out of FtLauderdale several times, our more recent trip we flew into Orlando on Wednesday, spent 2 days, drove to Ft Lauderdale on Saturday, and sailed on Sunday. It was fun and easy. Tons to do in Orlando...do what interests you.

One option would be to book a resort like Margaritaville. It has a water taxi stop as well. It's on the broadwalk with tons to do right there.

Another option is a less expensive hotel, and rent a car. There is so much to do I don't even know where to start. How much do you want to get out and sight see? Some sort of river cruise is usually recommended, whether water taxi or jungle queen. You could also make a trip out to the Everglades. Billie Swamp is worth the extra drive but you also have Sawgrass Recreation much closer, which has a zoo, airboats, etc. There is also Shark Valley.

I guess it depends on how much you want to relax, and how much you want to get out and see. There isn't a ton of touristy spots in Fort Lauderdale but you have Miami and the Keys as well. Riverwalk in Fort Lauderdale along with Las Olas/Himmarshee is kind of the thing. Also the State park off the beach - Hugh Taylor Birch.

The Water Taxi is fun, and very frequently recommended here.

As we have sailed out of FtLauderdale several times, our more recent trip we flew into Orlando on Wednesday, spent 2 days, drove to Ft Lauderdale on Saturday, and sailed on Sunday. It was fun and easy. Tons to do in Orlando...do what interests you.

Thank you CruiserBruce! Can you please tell me where you picked up and dropped off the rental car? Was it at the Airport? How did you get to Port Everglades?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you CruiserBruce! Can you please tell me where you picked up and dropped off the rental car? Was it at the Airport? How did you get to Port Everglades?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We picked a Hertz car up at the Orlando airport, and dropped it at the Hertz office near Port Everglades, on 24th. The near port office dropoff saved us almost 30%.

As mentioned, we dropped the car on Saturday, and sailed on Sunday. The Hertz office is walking distance to Embassy Suites, and we took the hotel shuttle to the port the next day.

The Hertz office has a shuttle to the port. The Hertz office is in a hotel, if you want to stay there.

Another vote for the water taxi.

Driver was very informative and pointed out interesting houses and who owned them.

The sights were great.

It was hot, they sold water on board and soda.

Cannot remember what time the "beer" could be sold.

Enjoy, we did.

See http://www.sunny.org for lots of Fort Lauderdale and Broward County tourist information. The Everglades National Park is a must do when we have visitors in the dry season (late November/early December to April usually) because the wildlife congregates around watering holes. The rest of the year we don't bother because it is harder to see lots of wildlife, plus it is hot, humid and buggy.