Costa Maya...beach club?

Summer Lovin

57 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Mitsugirly has a photo of the ladies restrooms, which looked fairly typical - were the mens' much worse? I am thinking of going with my grandson so it may be important?

yeah, we were there with our 7 yo, and DH said to him - nope, you are not going to the bathroom here.  He has just described it to me as "awful".

But we are definitely going back there in April, because DH insists.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 6/27/2018 at 7:55 PM, mitsugirly said:

We enjoy going to Blue Kay because it's a lot bigger than the other beach clubs along the strip at the malecon. It also has decent snorkeling and shallow/calm water. It's gorgeous there. It's the first place you come to on the malecon. I have 2 reviews in my signature line of going there with TONS of pictures of the place if you are interested.

Hello,

New to posting and searching on the blog. Would love to read your review. Exactly how do I locate your signature line?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, tdoner said:

Hello,

New to posting and searching on the blog. Would love to read your review. Exactly how do I locate your signature line?

Thanks!

Go to the post that you quoted and click on expand signature at the bottom of the post.

You will find links to all the places. Click on one of the two links for Blue Kay. Some people have reported not being able to do it from mobile devices and sometimes with the improved CC I have found it is not always available so you may have to try again. HTH!

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Go to the post that you quoted and click on expand signature at the bottom of the post.

You will find links to all the places. Click on one of the two links for Blue Kay. Some people have reported not being able to do it from mobile devices and sometimes with the improved CC I have found it is not always available so you may have to try again. HTH!

Thank you very much!

8 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Mobile phone was the issue!

On 1/14/2019 at 9:28 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I have to say - Mitsugirly's photos make Blue Kay look a lot better than it was. It wasn't bad, but it was a lot more rustic than her pictures show. And my DH was horrified by their bathroom.... And this is a man that doesn't get easily unsettled by 3rd world bathrooms.

What part is rustic? Are you talking about the building with the open seating under the roof? The bar? The beach? I didn't really find anything to be too rustic. The bathrooms were pretty much a step up from most that you will find in areas like that. If you didn't like the bathrooms here, you sure won't like them at some of the other beach clubs in that area. The ones we have been in were a lot smaller than these at Blue Kay.

Here's a picture of the ladies for those that are wondering.

PB130156%20copy-L.jpg

PB130154%20copy-L.jpg

To me, rustic is something like this (this is a picture of the showers at Maya Chan...unless they've changed since I've been there).

IMG_5094-L.jpg

Not doubting your judgment or thoughts...just clarifying for others what things look like. Everyone has their own opinions about what they like and all places aren't for everyone. 🙂

I know things have changed over the years at Blue Kay. When we first went, it was free and you could just eat and drink there. Then they started getting bigger and started having a day package that you could purchase (or just do it as you go along...it was totally up to you). Then it changed to a small fee that included a chair and drinks. It's still worth it to us. Where else can you get a few drinks and even chair rental for $10 or $15?

But, we have been there several times and next time we will find something new hopefully. I know the "fill-in" guy we had last time was actually an owner to another beach club that was being remodeled. I looked it up online at the time and it looked nice. We might try that place next or some of the other places mentioned in this thread. It's always great to try new things.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

What part is rustic? Are you talking about the building with the open seating under the roof? The bar? The beach? I didn't really find anything to be too rustic. The bathrooms were pretty much a step up from most that you will find in areas like that. If you didn't like the bathrooms here, you sure won't like them at some of the other beach clubs in that area. The ones we have been in were a lot smaller than these at Blue Kay.

Here's a picture of the ladies for those that are wondering.

PB130156%20copy-L.jpg

PB130154%20copy-L.jpg

To me, rustic is something like this (this is a picture of the showers at Maya Chan...unless they've changed since I've been there).

IMG_5094-L.jpg

Not doubting your judgment or thoughts...just clarifying for others what things look like. Everyone has their own opinions about what they like and all places aren't for everyone. 🙂

I know things have changed over the years at Blue Kay. When we first went, it was free and you could just eat and drink there. Then they started getting bigger and started having a day package that you could purchase (or just do it as you go along...it was totally up to you). Then it changed to a small fee that included a chair and drinks. It's still worth it to us. Where else can you get a few drinks and even chair rental for $10 or $15?

But, we have been there several times and next time we will find something new hopefully. I know the "fill-in" guy we had last time was actually an owner to another beach club that was being remodeled. I looked it up online at the time and it looked nice. We might try that place next or some of the other places mentioned in this thread. It's always great to try new things.

I also thought your photo looked fairly typical for the ladies which is why i asked if the mens was much worse as we may be taking our grandson. 

Did you take your grandson there? Did your guys mention a problem?

Also, Blue Kay did have another restroom at the other end of the beach. I'm sure it's to accommodate the people that stay there as well. It's a huge building.

PB130315%20copy-L.jpg

PB130318%20copy-L.jpg

PB130317%20copy-L.jpg

PB130319%20copy-L.jpg

I assume it's still there. Last time we were there, they were building new apartment looking buildings along the malecon area at Blue Kay. I'm not sure how much has changed since then.

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

What part is rustic? Are you talking about the building with the open seating under the roof? The bar? The beach? I didn't really find anything to be too rustic

Rustic is not necessarily bad, and I meant the feel of the beach and what was offered on the beach.

The bar was nice, but I didn't step foot in the back of it where the bathrooms were. I trust my DH's description of the men's bathroom. 

We'll be there again in April - we liked the place, and we liked the beach and the water, and we liked what we got for $10. But your pictures show it as something a lot greener and grander than it really was - and that's all I was trying to say. That's actually a compliment to your photography skills. 

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 1/24/2019 at 4:17 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Rustic is not necessarily bad, and I meant the feel of the beach and what was offered on the beach.

The bar was nice, but I didn't step foot in the back of it where the bathrooms were. I trust my DH's description of the men's bathroom. 

We'll be there again in April - we liked the place, and we liked the beach and the water, and we liked what we got for $10. But your pictures show it as something a lot greener and grander than it really was - and that's all I was trying to say. That's actually a compliment to your photography skills. 

We're heading to Costa Maya in April as well.  What ship are you arriving on?  We'll be on Independence of the Seas in early April.  Looking forward to spending part of the day at Blue Kay.  If it is not what it cracked up to be, we'll head back to the ship for short lines on Flowrider. 😉

34 minutes ago, ERCruiser said:

What ship are you arriving on?  We'll be on Independence of the Seas in early April.  Looking forward to spending part of the day at Blue Kay.  If it is not what it cracked up to be, we'll head back to the ship for short lines on Flowrider. 😉

Allure. :) It leaves on March 31, so technically we'll be at Costa Maya in April.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

1 hour ago, ERCruiser said:

We're heading to Costa Maya in April as well.  What ship are you arriving on?  We'll be on Independence of the Seas in early April.  Looking forward to spending part of the day at Blue Kay.  If it is not what it cracked up to be, we'll head back to the ship for short lines on Flowrider. 😉

If Blue Kay is not to your liking easy enough to walk along the malecon and choose another location - bars are literally one after another.  Have some names from this forum in mind or it can be overwhelming.

The two ends are quieter but we tried Tropicante last time and although loungers were close together food, drink and beach were good.

We have enjoyed Blue Kay and considering returning soon with grandchild since there is more room to run around but I dislike their inconsistent pricing policy and think it is time they followed a transparent format. I don’t like starting my day haggling over a lounger.