Is it possible to get 2 separate bills at one table?

nmsk5

It's been my experience that they dislike writing up two separate bills. Generally I've been offered two options: split it evenly or alternatively they will bring the bill with prices, you sit and figure out how much each party owes, write that down on the check and each party pays the agreed amount.

Perhaps a few restaurants will present two separate bills but for two women dining together I haven't had much luck with it.

It helps if you ask before ordering. This allows the server to more easily keep track of what goes on which check.

But any place with a modern point of sale system can do so easily at any time.

It's been my experience that they dislike writing up two separate bills. Generally I've been offered two options: split it evenly or alternatively they will bring the bill with prices, you sit and figure out how much each party owes, write that down on the check and each party pays the agreed amount.

Perhaps a few restaurants will present two separate bills but for two women dining together I haven't had much luck with it.

This has been my experience as well. Very different from the states where people will often ask for separate checks or pay part of the bill via cc and the remainder in cash. Just not the norm in Europe.

But any place with a modern point of sale system can do so easily at any time.

Maybe it's the type of restaurants I'm drawn to, typically smaller osterias or trattorias, but I've yet to come across a modern POS system.

I had to think about it for a few minutes yet I can't remember ever asking for multiple checks even when out with several couples. It's never seemed all that difficult to simply do the math but it does require everyone to be prepared to pay in cash. Usually one person or couple will pay the bill with their credit card and use the rest of us as their ATM, in a way.