Questions about Equinox Elite Cocktail Hour

JackN

Hi,

We were recently - Apr/May on Celebrity Millennium - Japan and Bering Sea 15 night cruise Yokohama to Vancouver which was very enjoyable - particularly the Cherry Blossoms.

There were many Elites onboard and 3 drink vouchers were made available for each applicable day.

Vouchers were placed on your bed with other usual information on day of embarkation.

Sky Lounge was open for the Elite happy hour 5-7pm however to obtain a drink you were required to hand over a voucher. Once you had exhausted your vouchers no more drinks were available.

Vouchers could NOT be used in MDR or Spec restaurants.

Many Elites were taking drinks out of the lounge to take to dinner.

No policing was evident because I guess you were entitled given you had utilized one of your vouchers to obtain.

The servers go into a different room (by the entrance) to get the drinks, not the bar, so it is a set inventory for the Elite hour. The bar is open so you could go there to get something different, but I think there is quite a variety to choose from. What drink are you looking for?

New to Elite status for our cruise on Equinox in July. Question re ordering drinks from a set menu - can you order a different drink and have the cost difference added to your account?

I don't believe so. You can order a drink that isn't on the Elite drink menu and you will be charged for it unless you have the Beverage Package that includes the drink you prefer.

Thanks all for the feedback. I had read that the Elite Lounge/Seapass drink process had been changing. Appears it is still a bit inconsistent and related to the number of Elites. Went to Cuba on RC last year and the drinks were put on your card. And to allay the confusion from my first post, this is our second cruise on Equinox, but 20th overall, hence Elite Status.

Just because someone was told the three drink coupons would be loaded on your Sea Pass card does not necessarily mean the Elite Cocktail Party in the Sky Lounge will be no more. Perhaps X will simply be doing what Royal has done for years...have the Diamond Cocktail Party in addition to the drink coupons loaded on the card. Best of both worlds and it would perhaps alleviate the crowding in the Sky Lounge...especially on Reflection. I’m not even talking about a transatlantic cruise...we were on Reflection in April and there was not a single vacant seat. Luckily we had the drink package and went elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK so the skeptic in me will parrot the alternative theory going around that - at least with RCI - the goal with the 3-drink coupons IS to ultimately eliminate the Diamond Lounge cocktail hour - at least for Diamonds.

As you accurately point out, the DL on RCI ships is notoriously overcrowded on most cruises resulting from the very large number of Diamonds, and growing number of D+ and Pinnacle's. The 3-drink coupon, which started about 2-3 years ago, was specifically to offer alternative venues for cocktails for these members in order to try to reduce the overcrowding.

This in many cases has been successful. The reviews from most C & A members have also been very favorable - not unlike yours and others' comments. Most like the choices offered and see it as you say, the best of both worlds.

Favorable enough that the concern is that there may be a revision to the tier benefits that, since Diamonds are the largest number of members compared to D+ and Pinnacle, will have Diamonds eligible only to get the 3 drink coupons each night and no longer have access to the DL, leaving that club for D+ and Pinnacle only. A group size more in line with the venue size.

No more overcrowding, and less $ impact to the cruise line as the D+ and Pinnacles would be the only ones with unlimited drinks and snacks and the larger Diamond group would have just the 3 drinks.

Just repeating the rumors - clearly not saying it's a fact - but it could be what's in store with RCI. And if so, the same could happen with Celebrity and Elites.....

Well, then, long live the beverage package!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which is an option paid for by any cruiser, whereas the Diamond Lounge and Elite Lounge are loyalty benefits provided as a recognition to higher tier members at no charge. Not nearly the same. :)

And for the casual drinker such as myself who does not purchase the beverage package, the Diamond and Elite lounges provide a very nice benefit. Hate to see any changes to anyone who has earned that privilege through their loyalty to the cruise line over the years.

But as I say this is all just conjecture and rumor, so hopefully we will all enjoy those benefits for years to come.