Orlando to Fort Lauderdale Cruise Terminal

newbie2013

We are spending a week at the Orlando theme parks in October before heading to a cruise on Harmony of the Seas. I haven’t been able to find much information about transport between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale and would be grateful for any advice. I know rental car is an option and I might brave it, but does anyone have any experience or advice with Uber (if that’s possible for such a long trip) or shuttles? Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by newbie2013

The best is to rent a car and drive from Orlando. The most convenient and fastest is to fly.

While the 50 minute or so flight time is certainly shorter than driving, when you add in the security lines at MCO and the baggage claim at FLL you come perilously close to the 3 to 3.5 hours time you would spend on the road. And depending on the locations of the vehicle pick up and drop off, convenience is essentially a wash--with having control over your luggage the entire time giving the edge to driving in my book.

Unfortunately until direct train service is finally realized there are no good public transport options. Driving strange highways is a piece of cake compared to braving the Greyhound Bus in Florida.

While the 50 minute or so flight time is certainly shorter than driving, when you add in the security lines at MCO and the baggage claim at FLL you come perilously close to the 3 to 3.5 hours time you would spend on the road. And depending on the locations of the vehicle pick up and drop off, convenience is essentially a wash--with having control over your luggage the entire time giving the edge to driving in my book.

Unfortunately until direct train service is finally realized there are no good public transport options. Driving strange highways is a piece of cake compared to braving the Greyhound Bus in Florida.

Thank you all. That is really helpful advice and much appreciated!

Unfortunately until direct train service is finally realized

Not to drift too much, but have you seen any fare estimates for the Brightline train from MCO to FLL or MIA?

There was an estimate somewhere, some time ago, that offered a price, one-way, of $200+ (per person) for the 3 hour trip to Miami.

They are now saying that the service will be working in 2021. They've got a lot to do to make that.

I have done this before, at the time it was cheaper and easier to rent a car.

I have done it as well...driving it is relatively easy. But you might note the OP is from NZ, and probably concerned about driving "on the other side" of the road. Have been to Australia and New Zealand numerous times, and have frequently stepped off the plane, and starting driving within an hour or so.

The adjustment is doable.

I highly recommend a rental car.

However, as mentioned by BNBR, there are share ride options:

Only ESCOT actually focus on the cruise ports from what I can tell but ONLY IN WINTER FROM ORLANDO.

But please do your own research as my pricing here is probably out-of-date.

PLEASE NOTE THE SCHEDULE IS SEASONAL - meaning it may not be available on your dates. And fares can change according to your departure time.

https://escotbuslines.com/ - $64 pp depart at 8am from Burger King on Consulate. Arrives 12:20pm at your cruise terminal

http://us.megabus.com/Default.aspx - $18 depart at 8am from 902 Semoran Blvd. Arrives 11:50am at Ft Lauderdale Tri-Rail Station - 3h50mins

http://www.thefloridaexpressbus.com - $27 depart at 8am from Bus Depot. Arrives 11:40am at Ft Lauderdale Tri-Rail Station - 3h40mins

http://www.redcoachusa.com/ - $38 depart from Orlando Airport at 10:05am. Arrives 1:55pm at Ft Lauderdale Airport - 4 hours

https://www.greyhound.com - $17 depart from Orlando 555 N John Young at 9:50am. Arrive at 1:20pm at 515 NE 3rd St - 3h30mins

There are at least a dozen minivan companies running daily shuttles between Orlando - Fort Lauderdale - Miami (generally they do not stop at cruise terminals). Fares can be as low as $20 per person.

The catch is - the pickups and drops are generally in public places (outside a Denny's, McDonalds, etc). So you have to make your way with all your luggage to one of these places and wait faithfully for some company to pick you! What if they do not show up?

Reviews online are generally not very favorable so that does not help either!

Javax, Smart Shuttle Line, Jet Set, Super Tours, etc

Edited by SteerageJoe

Just riding on this thread because I’m thinking of doing a car rental from Orlando too.

Which would be a better option:

1. Return car at a Port Everglades rental location and hop on the free rental shuttle to the cruise terminal? I have heard about crowded shuttles and difficulty getting on the shuttles on embarkation day.

2. Return car at FLL airport location and hop into a cab to the cruise terminal. I am assuming, like most airports, taxi ranks are easily found and taxis are readily available.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Just riding on this thread because I’m thinking of doing a car rental from Orlando too.

Which would be a better option:

1. Return car at a Port Everglades rental location and hop on the free rental shuttle to the cruise terminal? I have heard about crowded shuttles and difficulty getting on the shuttles on embarkation day.

2. Return car at FLL airport location and hop into a cab to the cruise terminal. I am assuming, like most airports, taxi ranks are easily found and taxis are readily available.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

This is a smart thing to do - comparing the two destinations!

It is impossible to say which will work out cheaper on your travel day, but the good news is the airport and the cruise port offices are very close!

Just make sure you pick a company with free shuttles to the port to begin with. From there you can price others.

Free shuttles only run between the cruise terminals and the route 1 area locations:

Port-Everglades-Rental-Cars-Shuttles.jpg

For a list of companies with route 1 area locations, you can go here:

http://cruiseporteverglades.us/port-everglades-car-rental/

This is a smart thing to do - comparing the two destinations!

It is impossible to say which will work out cheaper on your travel day, but the good news is the airport and the cruise port offices are very close!

Just make sure you pick a company with free shuttles to the port to begin with. From there you can price others.

Free shuttles only run between the cruise terminals and the route 1 area locations:

Port-Everglades-Rental-Cars-Shuttles.jpg

For a list of companies with route 1 area locations, you can go here:

http://cruiseporteverglades.us/port-everglades-car-rental/

Thanks for the quick reply.

I usually rent with Hertz - so it’s either FLL airport or the one at the Crowne Plaza.

It’s not so much about the price between the two return locations though (not much difference). I’m more concerned about which option is less inconvenient and less ‘unpredictable’. Don’t want to be stuck in a Long line for the rental shuttle to the port. But also wonder if it is more difficult trying to grab a cab from the airport.

We turned our Hertz in at Crown Plaza. Pretty simple. Yes, a bit of a line, but no one is going to be able to guarantee no line at the airport.

Plus it saved us about 30% on the rental.

Wow! Thanks everyone. You rock! That is all exceptionally helpful and the map and detail from Steerage Joe is brilliant!