Formal night changes on Royal?

The one & only time we decided to not bring the formal wear... hubby had a sport coat, but no tie. I had a little black dress, but not fancy in anyway... we got invited to have dinner with the Captain! When we told the concierge of our attire & would that be appropriate, we were told no. So we had to pass on dinner with the Captain. Our table was about two tables away & we sat there longing to be at that table. So never again! We will always have at least one formal & tie with us! But may never get the invite again.

Very surprising that they would have told you that.

Okay, this is probably going to open a can of worms, but I'd love to see if I could just get an answer. For the past four or five years, I've pretty much only dined in specialty restaurants on Royal, which have GENERALLY been resort casual every night. I no longer bring a coat, dress shirt or tie. My evening attire is khakis and a golf shirt or a Tommy Bahama shirt.

Next cruise, there are twelve of us, so we're sticking to the MDR. Am I going to have a problem any night in that attire?

There really is no dress code on Royal any longer. Some pretend there is but it’s wishful thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There really is no dress code on Royal any longer. Some pretend there is but it’s wishful thinking

What I’ve seen is- no swimsuits... plenty of shorts and Hawaiian shirts even on formal night. Both in the Caribbean, and Alaska

No problem, they don't enforce dress suggestions.

No issues at all. You sound very nicely dressed. We were on a cruise where one of the ladies at our table wore large tee shirts and capris every night to dinner INCLUDING formal nights! No one kicked her out! Enjoy your cruise.

What I’ve seen is- no swimsuits... plenty of shorts and Hawaiian shirts even on formal night. Both in the Caribbean, and Alaska

As said not that they tell everyone, but Formal Nites have witnessed shorts/tank tops turned away. This was in 2016 and 2017 on 4-5 Caribbean cruises. Most took it in stride and returned changed, 2 guys threw a stink and didn't return. The short's don't bother me, Tank tops do. But that's me...

Okay, this is probably going to open a can of worms, but I'd love to see if I could just get an answer. For the past four or five years, I've pretty much only dined in specialty restaurants on Royal, which have GENERALLY been resort casual every night. I no longer bring a coat, dress shirt or tie. My evening attire is khakis and a golf shirt or a Tommy Bahama shirt.

Next cruise, there are twelve of us, so we're sticking to the MDR. Am I going to have a problem any night in that attire?

You won’t have any issues, what you have described will be absolutely fine on any night