Formal night changes on Royal?

Thought I saw a note of formal night changes on Royal cruises? To be similar to the “Chic Evenings”on Celebrity? Correct or losing my mind and really need to be back on a ship soon?

Thanks for any info . :)

Thought I saw a note of formal night changes on Royal cruises? To be similar to the “Chic Evenings”on Celebrity? Correct or losing my mind and really need to be back on a ship soon?

It is now called "Dress your best" on Mariner.

The only acknowledgement of changes in suggested dress I've seen from the cruise line are with regard to Empress and Mariner. The other ships don't enforce any dress suggestions, so it's essentially the same.

The only acknowledgement of changes in suggested dress I've seen from the cruise line are with regard to Empress and Mariner. The other ships don't enforce any dress suggestions, so it's essentially the same.

Thanks.

We traditionally bring tux and DW the appropriate cocktail dress for formal evening. Likely will do so on the upcoming fall trip.

Thanks.

We traditionally bring tux and DW the appropriate cocktail dress for formal evening. Likely will do so on the upcoming fall trip.

Question for you. I love dressing up appropriately for events. Do you feel out of place when you wear a tux and your DW is in her finest? I notice many folks in the MDR are let in with shorts and t-shirts. Yes, I know we shouldn't care what others are doing but to me it sort of takes away from the experience. I ask because although we like dressing up and looking our best we just don't bother anymore, because in the Caribbean it's more cruise casual.

Okay, this is probably going to open a can of worms, but I'd love to see if I could just get an answer. For the past four or five years, I've pretty much only dined in specialty restaurants on Royal, which have GENERALLY been resort casual every night. I no longer bring a coat, dress shirt or tie. My evening attire is khakis and a golf shirt or a Tommy Bahama shirt.

Next cruise, there are twelve of us, so we're sticking to the MDR. Am I going to have a problem any night in that attire?

Okay, this is probably going to open a can of worms, but I'd love to see if I could just get an answer. For the past four or five years, I've pretty much only dined in specialty restaurants on Royal, which have GENERALLY been resort casual every night. I no longer bring a coat, dress shirt or tie. My evening attire is khakis and a golf shirt or a Tommy Bahama shirt.

Next cruise, there are twelve of us, so we're sticking to the MDR. Am I going to have a problem any night in that attire?

No problem, they don't enforce dress suggestions.

My experience is you can be as casual as you want. There really are no guidelines anymore. Pretty soon the MDR will be like that Kenny Chesney song - "No shoes, no shirt, and no problems"

Question for you. I love dressing up appropriately for events. Do you feel out of place when you wear a tux and your DW is in her finest? I notice many folks in the MDR are let in with shorts and t-shirts. Yes, I know we shouldn't care what others are doing but to me it sort of takes away from the experience. I ask because although we like dressing up and looking our best we just don't bother anymore, because in the Caribbean it's more cruise casual.

We always wear tux and dress or gown; never feel out of place.

You should never feel out of place if you dress to the level of the suggested dress code. Besides, those who wear shorts and t-shirts in the MDR have the "it's my cruise I can wear what I want and why do you care what I wear" attitude, so surely they wouldn't possibly sit in judgement of you for actually abiding by the cruise line wishes. Don't feel at all intimidated, dress to the nines if you like.

I'm noticing the 'wear what you want' comments but my experience of cruising out of Europe, Dubai and Florida over the last few years suggests it very much depends on where you are cruising from.

Our experience is literally anything went in the MDR when we were on Oasis and neither the crew or passengers seemed to care what was worn.

In Europe there is lip service paid by the crew to the suggested attire and quite a few people comply (if that is the right word to use).

When we sailed with Royal from Dubai you wouldn't have got near the MDR in shorts and it was close to 100% formal attire on both nights.

There is no consistency across the itineraries as far as I can see, it seems what is the norm on Caribbean cruises would most definitely get you turned away on Middle East cruises as we saw it happening many times.

I have a bunch of nice outfits that only come out of the wardrobe for a cruise so I am usually dressed to the nines even on casual nights and I have never felt overdressed because I am too busy enjoying wearing my fancy togs to care about what anyone else has on. :D

The only time I've felt overdressed was at Chef's Table - they recommend formal. No one ever wears formal. The closest to formal anyone (but me) at our last sailing on Liberty got was the guy wearing a bolo tie. Most people show up in a sport coat at most. I've learned my lesson and will dress more comfortably next time. ;)

In the MDR on formal nights, you will not be out of place even if you wear top hat and tails, but don't be surprised when the guy one table over is in ripped jeans and a T-shirt with a tux printed on it. ;)

On 7 night cruises we typically dress to the max - hubby in Tux, and me in a full length formal. But on short cruises, we just don't. He wears his silk slacks and silk Tommy shirt and I wear a nice sundress. We cruise so much that I don't want to "dress to the max" on every cruise, so we save that for the 7 night cruises

This year, we have the President's cruise in Sept so for sure will get really dressed up, but then we have another 7 night cruise on Allure in December (along with many short cruises in between). I told hubby he can decide. If he wants to get really dressed again we will, if not, we will go the slacks for him and sundress for me route.

I am speaking on behalf of DH :). He has done tux, sports coat, and just shirt/tie, and never felt out of place :). And, we always have at least one awesome formal pic that we buy...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am speaking on behalf of DH :). He has done tux, sports coat, and just shirt/tie, and never felt out of place :). And, we always have at least one awesome formal pic that we buy...

You are totally correct but when you have dozens of these pictures it doesn’t matter that much, hope your close to diamond since pictures are free then:D

You should never feel out of place if you dress to the level of the suggested dress code. Besides, those who wear shorts and t-shirts in the MDR have the "it's my cruise I can wear what I want and why do you care what I wear" attitude, so surely they wouldn't possibly sit in judgement of you for actually abiding by the cruise line wishes. Don't feel at all intimidated, dress to the nines if you like.

Only time I still see shorts w/tshirt/tank tops turned away from Main Dining is on Formal Nites...

Sorry for the delay. We have no issues in tux and fine dress or going casual. Since I wear a tux a few other times per year, it’s no issue for me/us. Not to sound snobby, on the last few Royal cruises we usually eat in specialty with the dining package. So our vacation plans are relax, up scale when we want, and casual on other nights out.

As for others, we really don’t care. Out vacation, the way we want it. The only kicker, is the Caribbean heat and humidity can make even the lightest tux, a little warm, but not uncomfortable. Happy vacation and cruising to others.

There are still more more people cruising who enjoy the idea of dressing up and celebrating life and sharing with family and friends as evidenced by the long lines around the ships photographers stations...The people wearing shorts never have taken away from our experiences in the dining room.

There are still more more people cruising who enjoy the idea of dressing up and celebrating life and sharing with family and friends as evidenced by the long lines around the ships photographers stations...The people wearing shorts never have taken away from our experiences in the dining room.

I don't think so. Most people can still celebrate life and family while dressing casually. The on-board photographers have looked lonely on most of our recent cruises. Some days the Maytag Repairman has more customers than the photographer.

It is now called "Dress your best" on Mariner.

“Dress your best” seems like a pretty silly/confusing name for what is supposed to be a relaxation of non-enforced suggestions. For example, I normally wear a suit on formal night. But that’s not dressing my best...my best would be a tux. So on Mariner it sounds like they’re telling me to dress more formally, not less. I know that’s not what they mean, but that’s why the label they’ve applied is dumb.

You are totally correct but when you have dozens of these pictures it doesn’t matter that much, hope your close to diamond since pictures are free then[emoji3]

Alas, we are just emerald :). We’d be diamond if we would have cruised with only RCI [emoji20]

The one & only time we decided to not bring the formal wear... hubby had a sport coat, but no tie. I had a little black dress, but not fancy in anyway... we got invited to have dinner with the Captain! When we told the concierge of our attire & would that be appropriate, we were told no. So we had to pass on dinner with the Captain. Our table was about two tables away & we sat there longing to be at that table. So never again! We will always have at least one formal & tie with us! But may never get the invite again.