Formal night - attire

Or you just don't want to hear other people's opinions. Having to pack extra outfits takes more space and weight. Having to bring clothes that will only be used for a few hours once or twice, including extra shoes, accessories, etc. is even more cumbersome. Formal wear does take allot more room and weight than casual wear. Denying this fact is ignorant at best.

I am not advocating anybody not dress up that wants to, but saying somebody is lazy or sloppy because they do not adhere to your dress expectations is rude and short sided imo.

Your opinion Is yours. We have cruise over 100 times over 32 years. We have always been able to fit formal items in our cases and still be within 50 lbs.

People who make excuses will always find some reason to do so.

You have your opinion and I read it. I have mine and you read it. So, dress as you like. But don't blame someone for any of your short comings. I stand by my comments and opinions.

Denying this fact is ignorant at best.

but saying somebody is lazy or sloppy because they do not adhere to your dress expectations is rude and short sided imo.

I'm glad your not rude and short sided. By your statements you are ..........

LOL

I am looking to book my first RC cruise for Hawaii in Sept. I was wondering what the "formal" night dining experience is like compared to other cruise lines I have been on. I found that NCL has a pretty laid back concept of dressing up, Carnival was also very laid back and Disney 2 nights on a 7 day cruise were cocktail dress attire. If I book the 10 day Hawaii cruise will there be a true formal night? If there is a formal night do most women wear a cocktail dress or is it more toward a formal gown?

Thanks in advance

For Formal night I wear a button down shirt and khakis

We're on a 11 night china cruise, preceded by a 12 day majestic china tour late September. Our luggage allowance (domestic China flights) is 20 kgs each (including hand luggage-on bullet train). Not sure how I'll manage to fit in normal clothes but will still try to pack tux.(shoes?).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

We're on a 11 night china cruise, preceded by a 12 day majestic china tour late September. Our luggage allowance (domestic China flights) is 20 kgs each (including hand luggage-on bullet train). Not sure how I'll manage to fit in normal clothes but will still try to pack tux.(shoes?).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

Fully understand exceptions to any situation. Happy Cruising!!!

Clearly a touchy subject but that's the problems with dress codes, be they on a ship, in a restaurant or at work. If you have one then it needs to be specific (eg black tie) and enforced otherwise what's the point. What's smart to one person may not be to another. As for me, I think I'll just stick a jacket into my luggage along with a tie just in case.

When the MDR has three levels to it, why can't RCL designate one or two floors as either formal or casual on Formal nights? When you make your reservation for the cruise, they could ask your dining attire preference and seat you accordingly. I am one of those people who do not want to play dress-up. I do wear slacks and a button down shirt. At the same time, I do not want to be relegated to the Windjammer because some other folks want to dress up. There could be a compromise!

When the MDR has three levels to it, why can't RCL designate one or two floors as either formal or casual on Formal nights? When you make your reservation for the cruise, they could ask your dining attire preference and seat you accordingly. I am one of those people who do not want to play dress-up. I do wear slacks and a button down shirt. At the same time, I do not want to be relegated to the Windjammer because some other folks want to dress up. There could be a compromise!

This was suggested. Many times. However, they say that RCI could not dedicate any level or portion due the not knowing how it would be occupied from cruise from cruise.

This was suggested. Many times. However, they say that RCI could not dedicate any level or portion due the not knowing how it would be occupied from cruise from cruise.

Since they do not assign a dining room before you go, they could ask when people book, and figure out numbers from that. Some cruises it may be 2/3 dressed up, while others there may not even be 1/3 that want a strict dress code. It could be done if they wanted to.

Something similar has been often proposed. Those who prefer formal nights insisted that it would disrupt their dinner tables since some would want to dress casual and some formal. They also protested that the sight of those dressed casually would destroy the 'ambiance' of the evening. Frankly, those who like formal nights do not find compromise a viable option.

Something similar has been often proposed. Those who prefer formal nights insisted that it would disrupt their dinner tables since some would want to dress casual and some formal. They also protested that the sight of those dressed casually would destroy the 'ambiance' of the evening. Frankly, those who like formal nights do not find compromise a viable option.

I guess for some change is difficult or nearly impossible. Sigh......it's 2018, time is moving forward. I think you should wear what makes you comfortable. I'm not going on a cruise to impress other cruisers. And you never know others background. I really dont care who wears what, formal night or not. It seems cruise lines are feeling that way more and more too

I guess for some change is difficult or nearly impossible. Sigh......it's 2018, time is moving forward. I think you should wear what makes you comfortable. I'm not going on a cruise to impress other cruisers. And you never know others background. I really dont care who wears what, formal night or not. It seems cruise lines are feeling that way more and more too

Agreed. Formal nights and dressing up are almost things of the past. Some are nostalgic with fond memories. Others still cling to the idea that dressing up makes the evening special. When you get as old as I am, dressing up has lost it's luster. Still the cruise lines have reached a good compromise. Dress up if you like or not if you don't.