Bad mini-suite on the Sun

stevenq99

September depending on the week between 1000-1100.

We were on the Sun the first year it was running nice "small" ship

Is that the 7 day from Miami? According to website, no more open bar starting with those cruises. Interesting. I wonder why they changed? Anyways, I can't comment on location, but for the 7 night you shouldn't do the sail alway rate. Just a few hundred dollars more and you can get all 5 offers. Seems like the better deal, IMO.

And with the $240 OBC it comes with, seems like a no-brainer.

Is that the 7 day from Miami? According to website, no more open bar starting with those cruises. Interesting. I wonder why they changed? Anyways, I can't comment on location, but for the 7 night you shouldn't do the sail alway rate. Just a few hundred dollars more and you can get all 5 offers. Seems like the better deal, IMO.

And with the $240 OBC it comes with, seems like a no-brainer.

good catch I didn't see that you didn't get the promo with the sail away.

September depending on the week between 1000-1100.

We were on the Sun the first year it was running nice "small" ship

We were on her when she was 6 months old and have been three times since. Two of our 4 times were in mini suites. We were happy but do not have any clue of where they were located. Heck I can't remember what cabin I had on my last cruise much less years ago.

As for what plan to take, I know some on here have gone on the "all you can drink" cruises which isn't the same as having the UBP. Those cruises seem to be pretty much geared to those who are cruising just to party. I guess what type of plan you choose depends on what you want from your cruise.

BTW, I am guessing the all you can drink cruise is different from the UBP. I do not know for certain

BTW, I am guessing the all you can drink cruise is different from the UBP. I do not know for certain

Yes, it is very different. On the Sun/Sky, all-inclusive means that basic well drinks, most beers and a couple of wines are included, while everything else is an upcharge. There is no "$15 limit," like with the UBP -- if a drink has a price in the menu, it is not free. So, if you don't mind sticking with lower quality liquors and you don't drink wine, it's as good of a deal as the UBP is.

But if you want a "top shelf" pour, it's going to cost you, in some cases more than it would cost under UBP. As an example, a Glenfiddich Reserve is an upcharge for both, but it's $2 under the UBP and $6 under all-inclusive.

I'm not a wine drinker, but I heard a lot of complaints from people that were, on the Sun, because the included wines were few and not the best quality. An extensive wine list, but almost all of them had prices, and if it has a price on the menu, it isn't free.

A couple minor plusses with all-inclusive -- you don't need your ship card to order a drink, you can order as many as you want at the same time (within reason -- I was able to order a double shot of Fireball with an Angry Orchard all at once, under UBP, most bartenders would not do that,) and while in port, there's no sales tax. I believe that gratuities are rolled into your fare, not as an add-on cost, though I'm not super sure about that.

Thinking about a sail away mini-suite on the Sun? The forward cabins seem like they may be noisy/windy.

The Sun has the largest mini suites on any NCL ship. If you are in a forward facing mini yes it will be windy when the ship is moving just like any other forward facing cabin, keep in mind their are only two of them.

Just got off her today, was in a mini suite, absolutely fabulous, were in 1010. Best cruise I have taken in a long time.

If a cruise to Nassau on a 17 year old ship is the best cruise you've taken, I think you need to cruise more. :o

I'm on the Sun too much and it's not my preference.. :)

I had a friend who had a mini in the front, and they were called a few times to make sure their curtains were completely closed due to the bridge above. (at night) balcony was unusable then.

We've had forward and aft minis on the Sun and loved them all. Yes, it's windy up front during normal sailing, but great for entering and leaving ports (and the Panama Canal). The aft cabins are wonderful, though we've had soot on the balcony at times. You can't go wrong with one of these!

Guess we were neighbors. Cabin 1013. Great cruise. Loved the cabin. I liked the layout of the closet and bath.

I will be in that cabin in August!!! Do you have any photos? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thinking about a sail away mini-suite on the Sun? The forward cabins seem like they may be noisy/windy.

We were in 1204. We had noise from the suite next door (I think there was a connecting door to the suite next door). We barely heard noise from the entertainment above. They ended by 10pm so was never an issue. That deck with the mini suites was great, quiet area of the deck, didn't have people walking through.

Guess we were neighbors. Cabin 1013. Great cruise. Loved the cabin. I liked the layout of the closet and bath.

Wow, we sure were. It was truly one of the best cruises I've been on, though way to short. The staff were nice and so were all the people on board.