Regal Princess - Gelato

chubbypiggy

Two years ago when I was on Royal Princess, I remember you can use 1 punch of the Coffee card to get gelato in the Gelato shop. Those of you who recently cruised the Regal Princess, do you know if their Gelato shop also accept Coffee card for their gelato purchase? If so, also only 1 punch? I will be on the Regal next month.

Thank you.

The Gelato menu refers to hand crafted ice cream [emoji848]

Then it should not be called Gelato, which is a lot more different from ice cream than just whatever "hand crafted" means:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/news/2015/06/gelato-vs-ice-cream-whats-the-difference

Creaminess: Gelato is creamier, smoother and silkier, as well as denser and more elastic and fluid, than American ice cream.

Ingredients: While both gelato and ice cream contain cream, milk and sugar, authentic gelato uses more milk and less cream than ice cream and generally doesn’t use egg yolks, which are a common ingredient in ice cream.

Butterfat, air and flavor: Ice cream contains at least 10 percent butterfat and usually has between 14 and 25 percent. Meanwhile, Italian gelato includes only about 4 to 9 percent fat. Yet gelato also contains less air than American ice cream — that helps keep it dense, fluid and creamy. And having less butterfat to coat your palate allows the flavors to emerge more[.]

Temperature: Another flavor enhancer: Italian gelato is served about 10 to 15 degrees warmer than American ice cream, at about 7 to 12 degrees Fahrenheit, so your mouth is less numb and better able to taste it.

Serving style: Authentic Italian gelato isn’t scooped, it’s served with a spade. Dig it?

Lets just say, that although it is a good ice cream, it's not like any gelato that people have experienced on land.

Princess stretches the meaning of the word a bit in order to sell it as premium. ;)

I’m pretty sure it is the same stuff you get for free at lunch and dinner in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The change happened last December right before our cruise on the Royal. We were grandfathered in because we were there when a woman doing back-to-back cruises was there and arguing with the server. A manager relented to letting her and us use punches.

I’m pretty sure it is the same stuff you get for free at lunch and dinner in the MDR.

It's very similar and the gelato IMO is certainly not worth what they charge.

The change happened last December right before our cruise on the Royal. We were grandfathered in because we were there when a woman doing back-to-back cruises was there and arguing with the server. A manager relented to letting her and us use punches.

He did the same for me since it was just at that time when they were discontinuing the coffee punches for gelato.

Unfortunately it's ended from what I read. :(

We were able to buy it for one punch in beginning of June on Crown.

Cruise was the med and after having Gelato frequently in

Italian ports sure wasnt the same

Good to hear especially since the coffee punches are no good after leaving the ship lately.

That's about the last time I've read that any ship was still doing it.

It sounds like each ship is setting their own rules.

We were able to buy it for one punch in beginning of June on Crown.

Cruise was the med and after having Gelato frequently in

Italian ports sure wasnt the same

The Crown does not have a Gelato venue but has gelato at the International Cafe. Three scoops are $1.50 versus the three scoop sundae at Gelato which is $3.50. If you paid for a coffee card each punch cost you $2.38. Not a good deal unless you need to use up punches or lose them.

The Crown does not have a Gelato venue but has gelato at the International Cafe. Three scoops are $1.50 versus the three scoop sundae at Gelato which is $3.50. If you paid for a coffee card each punch cost you $2.38. Not a good deal unless you need to use up punches or lose them.

DW and I shared the three scoops, neither of us wanted three so it was worth it for us