I had 2nd dream about leaving Passport at home, has any one used taken pic's& used?

Found out last year you cannot board without a passport. Four of us flew in the day before the cruise. When we got to check in, they asked for our passports. My aunt had left hers in her luggage. Yep, luggage was left for the porters and we had no idea where it would be!!! Fortunately, we had gotten out of the transport van and in our excitement had not waited for the porters to take our luggage. So they left it right where it was taken out of the van. (Found out you must stay with your luggage until the porter actually takes it too) So thankfully our luggage was sitting exactly where it was left, and thankfully my aunt hadn't taken her passport out or we would have been without luggage. Alot of lessons learned that day and it was hardly our first cruise!!!! When we all boarded, first up...a rum runner!!!!

Boarded where from where? Very vague on your post. You "Do Not" need a passport if you are boarding a cruise from and arriving back at the same US port and are a US Citizen. It's called a "Closed Loop" cruise. If you are not a US Cit, then obviously the rules are different. But the rules are pretty clear: US Cit, leaving from a US Port, arriving back to the US Port, no passport is required - only proof of US Citizenship.

Also.. If you're leaving from a US Port, and returning to a US Port, you don't need a Passport to board the ship. It's considered a "Closed Loop" cruise.. All you need is proof of citizenship and a gov't issued ID. Leave the P/P at home if you REALLY don't need to use it. But if you're one of those who worry, bring it along.

Not the case. Last year until my aunt produced her passport on a cruise leaving/returning from Miami, she could not board. Not saying this is every situation, but it was ours.

Not the case. Last year until my aunt produced her passport on a cruise leaving/returning from Miami, she could not board. Not saying this is every situation, but it was ours.

She had to produce proof of citizenship and proof of identity and yes, the passport does do that in one document, but it is not the only thing that will work. We cruised several times with government issued photo ID and birth certificate/naturalization certificate.

Scott, yes if cruising, that is correct you don't need a pass port on a closed loop cruise, I was pointing out that in the event of an emergency and you need to fly or be flown home a past will be asked for by the airlines. Sparks, your are probably correct, that if you have other documentation and will some extra time, you will be allowed to board, but by having the PP, it certainly will eliminate delays.

Last September near the completion of our TA, we were diverted to ST Johns , Newfoundland following my DH heart attack. I had to give our PP's to the Supervisor to Guest Relations who in turn had to send with the medical staff who accompanied us to the awaiting ambulance. Customs kept the PP's at the airport until we left. My husband was medically transported with his pass port back to Calif and I followed the following AM after a cab ride to the airport to pick them up. The extra $$ to get a pass port for all our travels was well worth it.

I don't think a regular photo copy would work. The localities that don't have a raised seal have some other authenticating method, like special paper, etc.

I work with lots of people who travel. What I heard is that having a photocopy helps the process go faster, if you lose your passport abroad, and have to go to the embassy. My friend lost his in mainland China I think, and had to go to the embassy to get documentation to go home. Photo of passport helped this go faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Scott, yes if cruising, that is correct you don't need a pass port on a closed loop cruise, I was pointing out that in the event of an emergency and you need to fly or be flown home a past will be asked for by the airlines. Sparks, your are probably correct, that if you have other documentation and will some extra time, you will be allowed to board, but by having the PP, it certainly will eliminate delays.

Last September near the completion of our TA, we were diverted to ST Johns , Newfoundland following my DH heart attack. I had to give our PP's to the Supervisor to Guest Relations who in turn had to send with the medical staff who accompanied us to the awaiting ambulance. Customs kept the PP's at the airport until we left. My husband was medically transported with his pass port back to Calif and I followed the following AM after a cab ride to the airport to pick them up. The extra $$ to get a pass port for all our travels was well worth it.

If by delays you mean in the boarding or disembarkation process I would have to say that my personal experience doesn't support that. I have cruised with birth certificate (both original and copy), Enhanced Drivers License, and passport and the time it took to board/check-in was pretty much the same with all methods and same when it came to clearing customs at the end of the cruise. Of course if one has to leave mid-cruise because of an emergency there will be some delay involved but again, each traveler needs to decide what they are comfortable with.

Sparks, the delays I should have said were in getting through an airport if one needs to fly home from a foreign port and only has a DL. Domestic flights, no problem with just a DL. For my husband to be medically flown back to Calif, Customs at the ST Johns INTL asked for his pass port since they would need to get him through customs entering the US. I think they brought him through JFK. I flew out the next morning on AA. I could have gone with him in the Leer jet but wouldn't have been able to take the luggage.he was flown the 12 hours back to Calif ( 4300 miles )

Sparks, the delays I should have said were in getting through an airport if one needs to fly home from a foreign port and only has a DL. Domestic flights, no problem with just a DL. For my husband to be medically flown back to Calif, Customs at the ST Johns INTL asked for his pass port since they would need to get him through customs entering the US. I think they brought him through JFK. I flew out the next morning on AA. I could have gone with him in the Leer jet but wouldn't have been able to take the luggage.he was flown the 12 hours back to Calif ( 4300 miles )

I alluded to that in the last sentence of my post. Yes, there will be delay which will depend on the individual circumstances. A medical emergency such as you experienced will result in less delay than missing the ship due to being over-served at Senor Frogs. I know that for us the risk was low enough for us to be comfortable assuming the risk for the 4 day and 7 day cruises that we took. Others would come to a different conclusion.