Quick remarks about my Sun Experience

cingroomer

Where is this lunch and is it open on embarkation day?

Where is the best place to get a less crowded lunch for Embarkation?

Also-- for Sail Away--any tips on where to be?

Not first time cruisers - yet first time NCL and the Sun

TYIA

Moderno is across from the buffet and between the pool and the sports bar. I didn't find the buffet to be all that crowded, even on embarkation day. We usually picked up our food and took it to the Great Outdoors at the back of the ship. One of the main dining rooms was also open on embarkation day, if you want something more sit-down.

Where is this lunch and is it open on embarkation day?

Where is the best place to get a less crowded lunch for Embarkation?

Also-- for Sail Away--any tips on where to be?

Not first time cruisers - yet first time NCL and the Sun

TYIA

Head to the Seven Seas MDR, they are open embarktion day and not many people know that. Food is really good.

Head to the Seven Seas MDR, they are open embarktion day and not many people know that. Food is really good.

Thanks so much. Appreciate the tip.

Do you know where/which bar has the "stow" of carry on/tagged?

Moderno is across from the buffet and between the pool and the sports bar. I didn't find the buffet to be all that crowded, even on embarkation day. We usually picked up our food and took it to the Great Outdoors at the back of the ship. One of the main dining rooms was also open on embarkation day, if you want something more sit-down.

TY I am going to look for that chicken salad :champagne-toast:

While the Sky is in the same "class" as the Sun, the Sky was originally supposed to go to another cruise line, so the balconies are a bit different than on the Sun. The Sun was NCL's chance to "perfect" everything on the Sky - lots of similarities, few differences range in where the restaurants are located and I believe Sun has a forward pool/hot tub above the lounge on deck 12?

My first cruise was the Sky out of Miami on the booze cruise - absolutely loved it - and snagging a table on the back of the ship @ the Cafe to toast goodbye to Miami. Was happy to see the same layout (with canvas cover) on the Sun!

Thanks so much. Appreciate the tip.

Do you know where/which bar has the "stow" of carry on/tagged?

It's the Windjammer Bar on Deck 6, between Bliss Lounge and the photo gallery. I love that you can drop off your carry-on luggage instead of carting around until the cabins are ready.

I will write a review later but just wanted to say this about The Sun. We just got off today after having been pretty much loyal Carnival Cruisers. Have done a few RCCL and have another planned but wanted to do a short one on the Sun to see if we liked it before committing to a longer cruise. I can say, I am hooked. I have absolutely NOTHING bad to say. The food was fantastic, and plenty of it from the time you get up till you go to bed. The drinks flowed, with tons of bars, quick bartenders and some great options, I had never expected this.

This cruise, the staff, the food, the ship, the entertainment exceeded all of my expectations. I will be cruising NCL again, hopefully the Sun, maybe another ship, but I can tell you, I read some reviews on here that talked about the awful food...those people must think they are Gordon Ramsey, who I'm sure would have even agreed for the most part, the food was excellent.

Thanks so much for your review! :) I'm on the September 9th, 2018 - 7 night to Cuba cruise and I'm looking forward to sailing on this ship.

Are the megaships really that much better? I've read they have massive crowding problems because they don't expand the eating/entertainment areas enough to match the greater number of passengers.

(Keep in mind that the largest ships we've sailed on are the Jewel and the Carnival Splendor, both of which are medium-sized at best.)

Personally I’m not a fan of the mega ships and much prefer the Jewel class, Sun and Star. I would rather sail on the Sun any day than any of the mega ships I’ve been on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've done the Getaway and the Escape several times each. The only real crowding compliant I have is the pools; plenty of deck space, but both of the pools are tiny and really inadequate for 4000 passengers. Sea days are crazy.

I found all the public areas I went to were way too crowded as they were all too small to cater for the amount of passengers. I struggled to get a seat in the Atrium for the many activities scheduled there. Larger ships I know - but the cruises I’ve done on them I always feel claustrophobic, particularly on the Getaway class- all that dark wood just makes me feel trapped.

Thanks so much for your review! :) I'm on the September 9th, 2018 - 7 night to Cuba cruise and I'm looking forward to sailing on this ship.

And so are we! Come over and join our Roll Call https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2611320

P.S. cingroomer: great review - now it's our turn to enjoy the SUN cruise and Cuba!

While the Sky is in the same "class" as the Sun, the Sky was originally supposed to go to another cruise line, so the balconies are a bit different than on the Sun. The Sun was NCL's chance to "perfect" everything on the Sky - lots of similarities, few differences range in where the restaurants are located and I believe Sun has a forward pool/hot tub above the lounge on deck 12?

My first cruise was the Sky out of Miami on the booze cruise - absolutely loved it - and snagging a table on the back of the ship @ the Cafe to toast goodbye to Miami. Was happy to see the same layout (with canvas cover) on the Sun!

you are right about the Sun and the Sky. they were both purchased from Costa I believe and were in different stages of being built. That is why they are a bit different. If I remember correctly the Sky was further along in the building process.

It's the Windjammer Bar on Deck 6, between Bliss Lounge and the photo gallery. I love that you can drop off your carry-on luggage instead of carting around until the cabins are ready.

Noob question - how secure is this stowage of carry on bags?

Thanks (20 days to my first cruise....)

Noob question - how secure is this stowage of carry on bags?

Thanks (20 days to my first cruise....)

I think it's just as secure as checking them with a porter, you don't have to worry about them getting delivered to the wrong place, and it's a lot more convenient than dragging them around the ship for an hour until the cabins are ready. :)

A crew member stays with the bags at all times and they tag the bags and give you the stubs.

Enjoy your first cruise!

I think it's just as secure as checking them with a porter, you don't have to worry about them getting delivered to the wrong place, and it's a lot more convenient than dragging them around the ship for an hour until the cabins are ready. :)

A crew member stays with the bags at all times and they tag the bags and give you the stubs.

Enjoy your first cruise!

Super, thanks!

I will write a review later but just wanted to say this about The Sun. We just got off today after having been pretty much loyal Carnival Cruisers. Have done a few RCCL and have another planned but wanted to do a short one on the Sun to see if we liked it before committing to a longer cruise. I can say, I am hooked. I have absolutely NOTHING bad to say. The food was fantastic, and plenty of it from the time you get up till you go to bed. The drinks flowed, with tons of bars, quick bartenders and some great options, I had never expected this.

This cruise, the staff, the food, the ship, the entertainment exceeded all of my expectations. I will be cruising NCL again, hopefully the Sun, maybe another ship, but I can tell you, I read some reviews on here that talked about the awful food...those people must think they are Gordon Ramsey, who I'm sure would have even agreed for the most part, the food was excellent.

I will be looking for your review. We too, are hooked on NCL after having sailed Carnival almost exclusively for 13 years. We have only been on NLC's megaships (Getaway and Escape), but while most of the ship did not feel crowded, the pool decks definitely did feel crowded enough that I only tried once on each voyage to get a chair on the pool deck. Not such a huge deal since we live in Florida and have a pool at home, but I can see how that would be frustrating for someone from a cold climate looking to relax in the sun on deck.

With regard to the food: we think NCL's food, whether in the MDR or specialty restaurants, is leaps and bounds better than Carnival's.

Though I thoroughly enjoyed our trips on Getaway and Escape, I am interested in trying one of Norwegian's smaller ships. Please tell me what were your ports-of-call on the Sun, and from what initial embarkation port did you depart? Thanks.

my wife raved about the chicken salad too, thought I didn't try it. I'm curious, could it have been made with turkey breast? I know a country club that used to make it like that and it was really good.

Might have been turkey breast but I don’t think so. But it was was almost solid meat, nicely chopped and seasoned. (I suspect it was coarse ground, it was so perfect). Some chicken salads are 50% celery. Ugh.

Egg salad which I normally avoid was also very very good. Looked liked they used a medium blade ricer to do the eggs.