Carnival Horizon 7/3-7/11/18: An Accidential Havana Cabin and Lots of Creme Brulee

nybumpkin

Thanks, Kathy for your excellent review. We are considering the Horizon and possibly a Havana Cabana. Did you happen to see any soot accumulating on your balcony? I have really sensitive lungs and would be hesitant to book a rear cabin if this is the case. Had issues with aft facing balconies on at least 2 past cruises. Thanks, Kathy!

We had no problem with soot on our balcony. An errant ice cream cone from Lido - yes. Soot, no.

Kathy- thank you for your reviews...very insightful. We are also platinum, but have never gone out of Manhattan cruise terminal, and are very stressed about driving in from New Jersey. How was your drive? Anything to mentally prepare for? I heard there will be construction at the lincoln tunnel---:( How was the parking situation?
Parking at the terminal was very easy - you just enter the parking area, pay for the parking, and they will direct you to a spot.

I'm originally from South Jersey, so I get where you're coming from about drving into Manhattan. Our drive from Upstate NY was very easy, since we come down the east side of the river and cross into Manhattan on the Henry Hudson Bridge. I've read about the construction at the Lincoln Tunnel, so you might want to consider the George Washington Bridge as an alternative - Turnpike to Exit 18. Once you're on the bridge look for the signs for NY Route 9A - the Henry Hudson Parkway, headed south. You take it as far as 57th Street, and you will see signs for the passenger ship terminal on the right.

Heather - there was afternoon tea on all the sea days in the Meridian Dining Room, deck 4 aft.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Kathy. I'm happy to hear there's still afternoon tea as who doesn't love an opportunity to eat more dessert?! :D:p

Heather

Kathy- thank you for your reviews...very insightful. We are also platinum, but have never gone out of Manhattan cruise terminal, and are very stressed about driving in from New Jersey. How was your drive? Anything to mentally prepare for? I heard there will be construction at the lincoln tunnel---:( How was the parking situation?
Don't know what part of NJ you'll be driving in from, but if it's north of the Meadowlands, then of course take Kathy's advice and cross the GW bridge. If you're coming up from south of Newark, then get off the NJ turnpike at 14 and cross into Manhattan via the Holland tunnel. Another option is to take NJ transit train into the city, getting off at Penn Station, which is under Madison Square Garden. You then just come up to the surface and take an Uber or Taxi to the port. Parking is 40.00 per day at the rooftop parking at the pier. If you live down in the Philly area, you can also take the Riverline until it ends in Trenton and then walk across the street to the NJ transit station to continue into Manhattan. You can check out the East Coast departures board for further options. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415