Please think of your table mates

Summergee

I don't mind if Cunard goes to anytime dining in Britannia, as long as it isn't mandatory - as with some lines in their main dining room. Holland America has anytime on the main level and set times in the upper level. I was amused by the long queue of at least 100 people every late afternoon a half hour before the opening of the dining room for the anytime dining.

I do like what many call "anytime dining" in the Grills and Britannia Club, although it is different from the usual "anytime." I prefer to call it traditional "one sitting" which was typical when ships had first class. Having the same table at all meals with flexible times is something we enjoy. I don't mind the unassigned seating at breakfast and lunch in Britannia, but for dinner I like having a permanent table.

Really? Have you done them? I find it to be a nicer experience than Britannia (but we generally only do one night there, to be honest).
I've only walked past and peeped in a window.To me they are a converted white space.

I've only walked past and peeped in a window.To me they are a converted white space.

Our experience of the lido alternative dining is that it is a surprisingly refined experience. We really enjoyed our Indian meal there.

Overall - I know this has been said before - we struggle to understand those who book Cunard and then wish to experience the "freedom" dining which is available on over 90% of other cruise lines. I entirely understand that fixed seating dining is not for everyone, but it has clear advantages. You get to know your table-mates, food can be produced efficiently from the galley, there is no waiting for tables and, most importantly for us, you get to know your wait-staff who can become familiar with your preferences.

Why book a line renowned for a traditional cruising experience and then try and make it like the vast majority of other less-traditional cruise lines? The point escapes me.

advantages.

Why book a line renowned for a traditional cruising experience and then try and make it like the vast majority of other less-traditional cruise lines? The point escapes me.

Because you don't book a cruise solely on where you eat your dinner. Would it be the end of the world as we know it for Cunard to throw in a bit of anytime dining?

Our experience of the lido alternative dining is that it is a surprisingly refined experience. We really enjoyed our Indian meal there.

Overall - I know this has been said before - we struggle to understand those who book Cunard and then wish to experience the "freedom" dining which is available on over 90% of other cruise lines. I entirely understand that fixed seating dining is not for everyone, but it has clear advantages. You get to know your table-mates, food can be produced efficiently from the galley, there is no waiting for tables and, most importantly for us, you get to know your wait-staff who can become familiar with your preferences.

One word,itinerary.

I'm with pepperrn. You know before you book that Cunard has fixed dining times in Britannia. If you don't like this either book a non Britannia restaurant grade cabin or go to a line that does anytime dining for every meal. Why book something you don't like when so many other options are available?

We have twice in the last 2 years been allocated (as requested) a table for 6 and found no other diners turning up at all. The first time we stayed in the hope someone would eventually appear. The second time we asked to change tables and were really lucky with our new table. We could see our original table from the new one and no one ever turned up there. Why ask for a table of 6 (or more) when you have no intention of turning up? It is such a shame for those left waiting.

Well who says that they asked for a 6 top? On our first transatlantic we asked for a 2 top and were placed on a table for 4. Fortunately for us the other diners never showed up and we had the table to ourselves.

I suffer from social anxiety and really did not want to share a table. I most certainly did not want to share a table with just one other couple.

I would also point out that when doing a transatlantic there are no other viable alternatives if one wishes to visit the US and cannot fly so telling people to just book another line really isn't very helpful.

We are fortunate that now we can afford to book Britannia Club or choose alternative dining but for that first trip years ago we were not as well off as we are now. We splashed out on a trip to the US to celebrate a significant anniversary and thought, at the time, that it would be a one off trip but it still didn't mean that we had a bottomless purse.

I would also point out that when doing a transatlantic there are no other viable alternatives if one wishes to visit the US and cannot fly so telling people to just book another line really isn't very helpful.
No need to book another line; there are alternatives to the two set Britannia evening dining times, if one wished to avoid them. Edited by pepperrn

Like the dress-code threads, I am constantly confused/bemused by those who wish to sail with traditional cruise-line Cunard... but who don't actually wish to sail with Cunard and its traditions :confused:

As I said above, you don't book a cruise solely on where you eat your dinner. And as another poster says, the itinerary is more important than where you eat your dinner.

Perhaps we should be really traditional Cunarders and eat our meals on long tables sitting on wooden chairs. Inside room guests can bring their own food with them.

I don't mind if Cunard goes to anytime dining in Britannia, as long as it isn't mandatory - as with some lines in their main dining room. Holland America has anytime on the main level and set times in the upper level. I was amused by the long queue of at least 100 people every late afternoon a half hour before the opening of the dining room for the anytime dining.

They are queuing up because once you move half your restaurant space to anytime dining then you only have half the number of tables for two for the fixed time early sitting.

As seen from an another recent thread, tables for two on early sitting are very sought after so if you remove half then they become impossible to get if you book fixed time dining. So people change to anytime and then find they need to queue up earlier and earlier if they want to get a table for two on 'first sitting' in the anytime restaurant.

Like the dress-code threads, I am constantly confused/bemused by those who wish to sail with traditional cruise-line Cunard... but who don't actually wish to sail with Cunard and its traditions :confused:

Like the dress-code threads, I am constantly confused/bemused by those who believe Carnival Corp, who operate the Cunard brand, would put tradition before profits.

Carnival will be constantly looking to balance the offering across their portfolio to ensure all market segments are covered as their customers change. So for example if P&O move downmarket then Cunard will likewise respond to ensure the gap is covered. So if there is a big demand for anytime dining on a brand more upmarket than P&O, then anytime dining will come to Cunard.

And if the traditionalist don't like it, what is their option? Go elsewhere - with who? And to those who say "never cruising again", I don't believe it.

They are queuing up because once you move half your restaurant space to anytime dining then you only have half the number of tables for two for the fixed time early sitting.

As seen from an another recent thread, tables for two on early sitting are very sought after so if you remove half then they become impossible to get if you book fixed time dining. So people change to anytime and then find they need to queue up earlier and earlier if they want to get a table for two on 'first sitting' in the anytime restaurant.

Like the dress-code threads, I am constantly confused/bemused by those who believe Carnival Corp, who operate the Cunard brand, would put tradition before profits.

Carnival will be constantly looking to balance the offering across their portfolio to ensure all market segments are covered as their customers change. So for example if P&O move downmarket then Cunard will likewise respond to ensure the gap is covered. So if there is a big demand for anytime dining on a brand more upmarket than P&O, then anytime dining will come to Cunard.

And if the traditionalist don't like it, what is their option? Go elsewhere - with who? And to those who say "never cruising again", I don't believe it.

I think the point is that the gap in the market IS the traditionalist market and that, at the moment, Cunard is the only line filling that gap. Carnival have many other brands that cater to the people who want any time dining for all and relaxed dress codes. Why force Cunard to become just another one of those lines.

Also, I have rarely seen an itinery that is not covered by several other, more relaxed lines, with the exception of the transatlantic crossings.

I think the point is that the gap in the market IS the traditionalist market and that, at the moment, Cunard is the only line filling that gap. Carnival have many other brands that cater to the people who want any time dining for all and relaxed dress codes. Why force Cunard to become just another one of those lines.

Also, I have rarely seen an itinery that is not covered by several other, more relaxed lines, with the exception of the transatlantic crossings.

Well, over the past year or so we have seen dress codes relaxed and casual clothes can now been worn in the nightclub and somewhere else I can't remember. Under 18s can now go into the nightclub before 11.00pm. Things change and saying that a two sitting dining room is "Tradition" is being a bit silly. The only tradition about it was the previous liners were too small to feed non first class passengers any other way. Breakfast and lunch was also two sittings.

We ask for a table of 6 as we enjoy the company of others at dinner. This normally works unless the other 4 are traveling together and don't intend eating in the MDR several evenings. This leaves us as a table for 2.

If you are with friends why not ask for a table of 8 then your companions still have company when you are dining elsewhere ?

We prefer a table of 2 because we have had some despicable people at tables .

However ,on our next cruise we will be a table of 6,people we previously cruised with.

We prefer a table of 2 because we have had some despicable people at tables .

However ,on our next cruise we will be a table of 6,people we previously cruised with.

We must have been very lucky, we've always had lovely dinner companions on our Cunard cruises.

... And as another poster says, the itinerary is more important than where you eat your dinner. ...
That's great :)

I know people who always choose itinerary over choice of ship because they don't care which ship, as long as it is going their way. I suppose not caring which restaurant, as long as you are fed, is the next logical step.

So the self-serve buffet and the alternative restaurants have been provided on board to welcome those who wish to dine at a time to suit them each evening (done this myself).

Maybe the Britannia Restaurant allocated dining time for the first and last night, and the alternatives for the other nights of the cruise? Sounds like a good mix.

Or, for those who have different priorities, they can add the choice of Britannia Club, Princess Grill or Queens Grill.

Seems that everyone is catered for, regardless of which grade you book and whatever your priorities are. Well done Cunard.

Edited by pepperrn

Our itinerary was Singapore to Capetown worldie segment.No other mass market line does that one,only a couple of premium lines.It ticked off a few of our bucket list ports.The Cunard 2 tier MDR is perfect for separating.Yes you half the 2 tops,but you also half the peeps.On the QE there were queues to get into trad,I don't know why when the table is guaranteed,cheers,Brian.

You are correct, Carnival does have brands that cover any time dining for all and relaxed dress codes. However the principle feature of many of those brands is the relaxed dress code not the any time dining.

If Carnival saw demand for any time dining without the relaxed dress code but something more formal to allow people to dress up, then there is a gap it might choose to fill with Cunard.

You only have to see the changes in how people consume services. Currently in the UK the TV cable company VirginMedia is in dispute with one of its content providers. The dispute is not simply about the price, but that VirginMedia want the on-demand streaming rights. Their customers are no longer content to watch TV to a schedule but want to watch whatever they want whenever they choose. Some very similar parallels with any time dining and the traditional scheduled meal times.

Such an interesting topic and various responses. As my husband and I have experienced some other lines, we continue to put Cunard and it's more traditional style top of our list. I surely hope that Cunard can maintain much of what makes it unique. Seeing queues for dining is a huge turn off, something about it feels like a cafeteria experience. Either go and dine at the set time, or don't, and find other dining options. I think mixing the "anytime" and set time is a hodge podge. As another reviewer noted, will food be sitting out longer? Also, will waitstaff hustle and rush more than they already do? I think the simpler option is have more 2-tops available. You can always put those together to create a bigger table for those that wish to dine with others.

Our last Cunard experience, we were placed at a table with three other individuals, even though we requested a table of two for our honeymoon. We are perhaps "those people" who didn't notify our table companions every night that we were not going to dine with them, first formal night was enough.

We found the alternative dining on QV (back then it was complimentary, no surcharge) quite lovely, and other nights just doing a Lido "grab n go" back to our cabin sufficed for dinner.

Our next Cunard excursion will be in PG. We selected this for the accommodations, Grills Lounge and al fresco dining option. The "anytime" arrival for dinner at our set table and assigned waitstaff was a bonus, and not why we booked PG.

Also agree with other reviewers, why travel Cunard with it's traditions, then complain or want Cunard to change because society and lifestyles are changing? Next thing you know, someone is going to want food trucks on Cunard, because that's the "in thing".

Some years ago I travelled on Oceania line with any-time dining. I ended up sitting alone every evening - not just alone but generally the only person in my section of the restaurant. That was because I chose to eat early so I could rest in the evening.

Two years ago I travelled on Celebrity with any-time dining. We frequently had queues at the time we wanted to eat.

With Cunard I know what to expect. I have company and no queues (except perhaps the first day when I am arranging my table if they have put me on a different sitting from what I prefer). Sometimes I want a faster meal and eat alone in the Lido. Having accepted the time frame, I build my time around it.

I have just started reading The Only Way To Cross, put wise to by Kohl57. In chapter 3 * Olympic-Titanic* John Maxtone-Graham states that space was of importance and planned out with great thought. “ There should never be a need to get anywhere first or, God forbid, to line up”.

In our view, there are many aspects, that speak pro fixed times:

The atmosphere in Britannia is not disturbed by the constant flow of coming and going 20 minutes after dining has begun.

Additionally, after the first evening, there are not these long lines anymore of people that are waiting to be assigned at their tables. Just walk in.

Like others said, you have „your“ table and waiters thruout the cruise and we have always enjoyed to know them better over the length of the trip.

You can be quite sure that your dining time ends before the shows begin.

With free dining, we have sometimes waited very long for entrees which resulted then in missed evenings in the theaters ( and yes, we are the minority of people that don‘t enter the audience AFTER the show has begun).

Like someone previously said, cases of cold meals are pretty rare with the fixed time concept.

It also brings a welcome structure and fixed point to a lazy seaday on TA crossings, which in our case starts with a visit of the pool, dressing up, cocktail in Commodore Club and then a visit in the restaurant.

We prefer it that way - for people wanting free dining -the alternatives are plenty