Please think of your table mates

Summergee

Some years ago I travelled on Oceania line with any-time dining. I ended up sitting alone every evening - not just alone but generally the only person in my section of the restaurant. That was because I chose to eat early so I could rest in the evening. Two years ago I travelled on Celebrity with any-time dining. We frequently had queues at the time we wanted to eat. With Cunard I know what to expect. I have company and no queues (except perhaps the first day when I am arranging my table if they have put me on a different sitting from what I prefer). Sometimes I want a faster meal and eat alone in the Lido. Having accepted the time frame, I build my time around it.
Thank you fantasy51.

In our view, there are many aspects, that speak pro fixed times: The atmosphere in Britannia is not disturbed by the constant flow of coming and going 20 minutes after dining has begun. Additionally, after the first evening, there are not these long lines anymore of people that are waiting to be assigned at their tables. Just walk in. Like others said, you have „your“ table and waiters thruout the cruise and we have always enjoyed to know them better over the length of the trip. You can be quite sure that your dining time ends before the shows begin. With free dining, we have sometimes waited very long for entrees which resulted then in missed evenings in the theaters ( and yes, we are the minority of people that don‘t enter the audience AFTER the show has begun). Like someone previously said, cases of cold meals are pretty rare with the fixed time concept. It also brings a welcome structure and fixed point to a lazy seaday on TA crossings, which in our case starts with a visit of the pool, dressing up, cocktail in Commodore Club and then a visit in the restaurant. We prefer it that way - for people wanting free dining -the alternatives are plenty
Thank you Yoshikitty.

I'm lucky I've got time on my side, times are changing. ...
Why wait? Book today. Cunard have anytime dining now, excepting one restaurant catering for those who prefer fixed seating times.

Isn't it a good idea to give people real choice (anytime or fixed), rather then impose/dictate only one system on everyone? Everyone is happy with choice, which is surely as it should be?

On land, I usually make a booking at a good restaurant; time and table size. If I turn up without a reservation at a busy time (mid-evening) at a popular venue, I am not surprised to be told "No tables, sorry. Wait time to be seated is 45 mins/1 hour" or even turned away if they have a "no reservation - no table" policy. If I've booked ahead at a restaurant (or there are set dining times at a venue), I avoid possible waiting around.

As has been said, there are many, many other cruise lines out there, from which to make one's selection, for people who need ships with only anytime-dining style. With Cunard you have choices.

In all areas of life we are being given more and more choice, catering for individual desires. I am amazed that some think this ability to choose is bad thing, and want to dictate to others that their particular way of doing things, their preferences, are the only way allowed, and should therefore be imposed on everyone.

Happy sailings for the future, and all best wishes :)

I'm lucky I've got time on my side, times are changing.

Same as with the formal night changes Cunard are aware of the need to attract new cruisers and anytime dining is just the next thing they will try.

Completely agree.

As is demonstrated by comments such as below, whatever the arguments in favour of fixed sittings, it is clear anytime dining is the more desirable option as it is offered to those who pay more.

Or, for those who have different priorities, they can add the choice of Britannia Club, Princess Grill or Queens Grill.

So Carnival have to keep an eye on ensuring their Cunard brand does not suffer from losing customers to its cheaper brands which are offering the more desirable anytime dining for lower cost.

Why wait? Book today. Cunard have anytime dining now, excepting one restaurant catering for those who prefer fixed seating times.

Isn't it a good idea to give people real choice (anytime or fixed), rather then impose/dictate only one system on everyone? Everyone is happy with choice, which is surely as it should be?

On land, I usually make a booking at a good restaurant; time and table size. If I turn up without a reservation at a busy time (mid-evening) at a popular venue, I am not surprised to be told "No tables, sorry. Wait time to be seated is 45 mins/1 hour" or even turned away if they have a "no reservation - no table" policy. If I've booked ahead at a restaurant (or there are set dining times at a venue), I avoid possible waiting around.

As has been said, there are many, many other cruise lines out there, from which to make one's selection, for people who need ships with only anytime-dining style. With Cunard you have choices.

In all areas of life we are being given more and more choice, catering for individual desires. I am amazed that some think this ability to choose is bad thing, and want to dictate to others that their particular way of doing things, their preferences, are the only way allowed, and should therefore be imposed on everyone.

When did I say anytime dining only?

Of course have traditional dining for those who want it AS WELL AS anytime dining in the Britannia Restaurant. Choice is great.

Cheers

Very well said.

Completely agree.

As is demonstrated by comments such as below, whatever the arguments in favour of fixed sittings, it is clear anytime dining is the more desirable option as it is offered to those who pay more.

So Carnival have to keep an eye on ensuring their Cunard brand does not suffer from losing customers to its cheaper brands which are offering the more desirable anytime dining for lower cost.

We've only done TA's on Cunard (I'd say we fall at the younger end of their demographic) and we wouldn't pay for the anytime dining option despite our first experience lumbering us with a table mate who refused to speak to us! Others we dined with changed table & then we did too and were so glad as everyone on the new table was lovely. As they have been on every crossing since, its one of the nicest parts of the crossing getting to know people.

Yes its nice meeting people at breakfast & lunch but you don't tend to get to know them the way you do your evening companions and that would be the problem with anytime dining.

There are options and things change but while I see the attraction of tailoring everything to your individual desires I have also learnt there is something to be said for experiencing constraint and that from such restriction can come richer & unexpectedly rewarding experiences that goes for cruise dining times as much as the rest of life.

... Of course have traditional dining for those who want it AS WELL AS anytime dining in the Britannia Restaurant. ...
Great, we're in agreement, I also like this idea; wonderful :)

On QM2 (most of my trips have been on her, so I can imagine the following easier) you could easily do as you suggest and divide the Britannia Restaurant into two areas, one for "fixed", and one for "anytime" dining.

In order to avoid passengers being disturbed in the "fixed" areas by those constantly appearing to arrive/leave "mid-meal" (esp tables in the high-traffic areas near the forward doors), those seeking the "anytime" area could have entrance/exits leading directly to and from their select section of the restaurant.

They could turn up anytime their section was open, always be certain to find a seat at the table "size" they had requested, and never have to line-up/queue/wait.

You could give this club-like select area a special name to enhance the "anytime" experience.

"Britannia Club" would be my suggestion ;) :D :halo: .

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn
  • Like 1

We've only done TA's on Cunard (I'd say we fall at the younger end of their demographic) and we wouldn't pay for the anytime dining option despite our first experience lumbering us with a table mate who refused to speak to us! Others we dined with changed table & then we did too and were so glad as everyone on the new table was lovely. As they have been on every crossing since, its one of the nicest parts of the crossing getting to know people. Yes its nice meeting people at breakfast & lunch but you don't tend to get to know them the way you do your evening companions and that would be the problem with anytime dining. There are options and things change but while I see the attraction of tailoring everything to your individual desires I have also learnt there is something to be said for experiencing constraint and that from such restriction can come richer & unexpectedly rewarding experiences that goes for cruise dining times as much as the rest of life.
A pleasure to read; how I wish there was a "like" button.

Of course have traditional dining for those who want it AS WELL AS anytime dining in the Britannia Restaurant. Choice is great.

Cheers

Most ships have both and as I said,the 2 tier MDR would convert to both very easily.

Wonder why the unsociable people decide to share a table? Does not make sense ! Tina

Possibly they didn’t decide on sharing a table. Maybe they wanted a table for two and didn’t get one and were assigned to a sharing table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We recently traveled in grill class and found the dining set up gave us the best of both worlds. We had a table for two but there were two other tables for two fairly close by. The diners in the other two tables turned out to be very convivial and after a time we got quite a party atmosphere on our "virtual" table for six. At the same time we had the flexibility to come and go whenever we wished. If, however, the others had not been such good fun we could have kept to ourselves on our table for two and just enjoyed each other's company.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

I'd bet not. Crystal went to anytime dining on the Symphony last year and will go to it this fall on the Serenity after the dry dock.Some are upset about it and thought Crystal would go to a two-tier system. It's anytime dining only. There's at least one thread on the topic on the Crystal board.

Our first cruise with Cunard on QE2 was on first sitting, but this clashed with some of the sailaways so we would eat in the Lido plus we found that as we came out of dining the people for second sitting were enjoying pre-dinner drinks, canopies and either a harpist or a pianist playing a completely different experience

When we booked the subsequent cruises we booked second sitting we could enjoy the sailaways, also have pre-dinner drinks, canopies and either a harpist or a pianist playing before dinning on a table for 6

Our experience of the lido alternative dining is that it is a surprisingly refined experience. We really enjoyed our Indian meal there.

Overall - I know this has been said before - we struggle to understand those who book Cunard and then wish to experience the "freedom" dining which is available on over 90% of other cruise lines. I entirely understand that fixed seating dining is not for everyone, but it has clear advantages. You get to know your table-mates, food can be produced efficiently from the galley, there is no waiting for tables and, most importantly for us, you get to know your wait-staff who can become familiar with your preferences.

Why book a line renowned for a traditional cruising experience and then try and make it like the vast majority of other less-traditional cruise lines? The point escapes me.

Because they're the only line that has the itinerary I want at the time I'm able to sail. I'm a little worried it'll be too formal for us. But I really want the itinerary. We'll end up in the buffet every night, I am sure.

We'll end up in the buffet every night, I am sure.

That's a bit like buying a business class airline ticket, then sitting down the back.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking smart for dinner (just like everybody else). Although they term it as "Formal" it's only evening wear. The other nights are smart casual, i.e. country club dress.

Nothing to be worried about.

Our first cruise with Cunard on QE2 was on first sitting, but this clashed with some of the sailaways so we would eat in the Lido plus we found that as we came out of dining the people for second sitting were enjoying pre-dinner drinks, canopies and either a harpist or a pianist playing a completely different experience

When we booked the subsequent cruises we booked second sitting we could enjoy the sailaways, also have pre-dinner drinks, canopies and either a harpist or a pianist playing before dinning on a table for 6

I agree, I fail to understand why the first sitting is so popular. After all it's only two hours between afternoon tea and dinner.

I agree, I fail to understand why the first sitting is so popular. After all it's only two hours between afternoon tea and dinner.

This fact was the reason I opted for the late seating. The logic is unassailable. :halo: