Hey you Scotch experts!

JonnyGUofD

At least once a cruise they will have a free Johnny Walker tasting in the duty free shop. It holds a limited amount and you have to sign up. While they had some of the more interesting blends to try, people are right, you can usually get them cheaper elsewhere. The only thing that would be worth it is if it is one of the hard to find blends like the green. Do some research before you go, or use the internet on board. Have fun!

JW is JW whether it be Red, Yellow, Blue, etc. The main difference is more aging with more aging equaling a smoother scotch. The Double Black is somewhat difference and we think it was an attempt by JW to produce a different tasting product that tastes something like a single malt. For us, it is hard to get excited about JW since its easily obtained just about anywhere for a lower price then we now see on ships. By the way, we recently flew on China Air in Business Class and was surprised to find an unopened bottle of JW Blue sitting at the Business Class Bar. Needless to say, by the time I left that flight the bottle was open and had been significantly depleted. Of course this was in the nature of "scotch research" since I tend to be a Single-Malt kind of guy. One other cruise line factoid is that Celebrity used JW Yellow to make a special martini at their "World Bar."

Hank

I'm appreciating this thread! I too am a neophyte in the world of Scotch consumption, but I'm interested in learning. Are there Scotch appreciation 'classes' on board, similar to the wine tasting?

I've seen them offer Macallan, Johnnie Walker and general tastings before. Places can be limited but they also need sufficient interest so as Bo suggested, registering your interest soon is a good idea.

Be advised these tastings are geared up to make you buy the scotches for sale onboard and or upgrade your beverage package....

If you have an interest it might be a good idea to watch a few youtube videos. Find those featuring Richard Patterson (Head distiller at the Dalmore / Whyte & Mackay). He's a real character but has already forgotten more than most will ever know.

Alternatively there's an American guy named Daniel Whittington who produces similar videos but has an excellent way of explaining things. He's certainly not a traditionalist but also very entertaining in a very different way. He reviews a lot of whiskey and far superior whisky. :D

You'll get more out of the tastings if you already have an appreciation of how to drink scotch so well worth a watch.

The last time I was in Gulmohars was in Dec of 2016. We would have returned in 2017, but the Hurricane delayed that visit not to mention destroying much of the island. But on that last visit the owner's wife (and she is quite an expert on Scotch) convinced me to purchase a bottle of Longmorn 16. This is not a Scotch sold in Pennsylvania and hard to find in many venues. It was truly a delight for the taste buds and the kind of product I have learned to expect from Gilmohars. We will be returning in December and wonder what delights we shall discover on that next visit. Sadly, the Longmorn Distillery has discontinued this bottling and is replacing it with a newly formulated 16 year old that will apparently cost around $200 a bottle. Not sure I am that ambitious with my whiskey.

Hank

If you want to try a nice smooth whiskey look for Redbreast Lustau edition. A single pot still whiskey which is finished in Lustau Sherry casks.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/34590/redbreast-lustau-edition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been at the Scotch tastings. They do offer some very rare stuff and it is worth it if you already know Scotch and know how to 'taste' it.

That being said, my favorite has not been named because it is really an acquired taste - Laphroaig, especially the Quarter Cask. The prices are, for that level, quite reasonable.

Dan

For the adventurous, you won't find it on the ship, but Woodford (known for their bourbons...which are available on Celebrity ships) has just released an American Whiskey....and it's incredibly good at a rational price. I am a scotch and bourbon drinker depending on what bottle falls into my hands, so I try some of the unusual bottlings.. Another you might try is High West Campfire which is a combination of bourbon and scotch. Both are well worth the price and will surprise both your scotch and bourbon drinking friends.

For the adventurous, you won't find it on the ship, but Woodford (known for their bourbons...which are available on Celebrity ships) has just released an American Whiskey....and it's incredibly good at a rational price. I am a scotch and bourbon drinker depending on what bottle falls into my hands, so I try some of the unusual bottlings.. Another you might try is High West Campfire which is a combination of bourbon and scotch. Both are well worth the price and will surprise both your scotch and bourbon drinking friends.

That sounds interesting. I assume it's this :-

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/19887/high-west-campfire

That sounds interesting. I assume it's this :-

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/19887/high-west-campfire

That's the one....

Continuing to veer from the thread title :) If you want to try some good, legal American Moonshine, I recommend Stillhouse Original Whiskey

https://www.reservebar.com/stillhouse-original

It's novel (the bottle is a pint paint can) and extremely smooth. I've shocked a number of folks who only drink vodka/gin/etc. I stumbled on it when going to a Passover dinner and wanting to bring something that didn't contain grain...there were other options, of course...potato vodka comes to mind, but I opted for the unusual and it was a big hit.

Sorry for the diversion....but I thought these three more or less unknown spirits deserved a mention and Jonny, the OP, who was looking for recommendations can find any of them at his local Total Wine store...and I think his friends might find them even more interesting than most of the scotches sold at the duty free store on the ship.

We did a Woodford tasting on the Equinox last week. The Rye was very tasty and there is now a special bottle with the Equinox name on it and there will be one for the Edge too.

I have been at the Scotch tastings. They do offer some very rare stuff and it is worth it if you already know Scotch and know how to 'taste' it.

That being said, my favorite has not been named because it is really an acquired taste - Laphroaig, especially the Quarter Cask. The prices are, for that level, quite reasonable.

Dan

Laphroaig readily available in the U.K. at relatively cheap prices in most supermarkets- usually cheaper than a premium gin!

The attachment shows the Single Malts and prices on the Equinox last week. Hope this helps...

Wow $90 for Talisker Storm that's a crazy price particularly given the weak £. Bought a bottle of that (70cl) just after was launched off Amazon for £24. Widely available for about £33 in the U.K.

I wonder if the prices are cheaper on the Ex UK cruises? Lots of British travellers with free wifi packages and cheap duty free ports like Gibraltar and the Canaries Gibraltar mean at those prices they won't sell much.

I found dead me decent deals with Johnny walker blue which is 21 year old blended scotch , need to research before you board several scotch’s were not a bargain. Need to taste any of them before you buy.

I've bought JWB on the cruise ship at least 3 to 5 times. I have gotten 2 bottles of JWB for $305. Back in Washington state the bottles are about $250+ state tax. The lowest cost in the Seattle area I've seen is $207+ $43.05 tax = $253.04 per bottle. The JWB bottles do go fast.

I've bought JWB on the cruise ship at least 3 to 5 times. I have gotten 2 bottles of JWB for $305. Back in Washington state the bottles are about $250+ state tax. The lowest cost in the Seattle area I've seen is $207+ $43.05 tax = $253.04 per bottle. The JWB bottles do go fast.

Is that for a litre or 70cl? U.K. Retail works out about $175 (£135) for a 70cl bottle- so Celebrity's price looks good

Wow $90 for Talisker Storm that's a crazy price particularly given the weak £. Bought a bottle of that (70cl) just after was launched off Amazon for £24. Widely available for about £33 in the U.K.

I wonder if the prices are cheaper on the Ex UK cruises? Lots of British travellers with free wifi packages and cheap duty free ports like Gibraltar and the Canaries Gibraltar mean at those prices they won't sell much.

I am pretty sure the Talisker was a 1 Liter bottle but it was a little pricey. We typically buy Whiskey that is Travel/Retail only that we can not get in the US.