Cabin Position for Seasickness if lower deck / midship cabin not available

Chef Heather

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at several cruises that on none of them is a lower deck / midship cabin available; in general, which would be better if I tend to get seasick? And yes, I use either medicine or the relief band, but trying to do prevent :D

1. Lower deck but front or aft cabin

2. Higher deck (possibly pretty high) but mid ship?

I realize this can vary from ship to ship and even possibly location, but any thoughts on the alternative? If it helps, we are looking at cruises with both Celebrity S Class and newer HAL either in the Med or Northern Europe for Sept 2019.

Many thanks,

Heather

I used to get terribly seasick, not so much anymore but have learned a few things in my earlier cruising years. Midship is the best, even high up., though lower is better. Aft would be my second choice with forward being my last option.

For me, Seabands are a lifesaver. I still take powdered ginger tablets (available at your local drug store for little cost) and grab some green apples for your room. In rough water, try to limit the amount of liquids in your stomach ... not even ginger ale. If you must drink something, try club soda with aromatic bitters; it will help with nausea. Try to go outside or if inside, keep shut your eyes. Get plenty of sleep. Seasickness can be so much worse if you are sleep deprived. Finally, get out and get moving .., walking, exercising or dancing are so much better than sitting still. Enjoy your cruise!

I highly recommend this https://www.amazon.com/ReliefBand-Motion-Sickness-Device-Batteries/dp/B00VU8XXBE/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1535247833&sr=8-3&keywords=relief+band+motion+sickness&dpID=31y-C8KN2VL&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I was once on a tour in a “pirate” boat in the swells; so sick for over an hour; finally someone noticed & gave them their band; within 5 minutes I was perfectly fine & complaining about being starving! Never leave home without it now. There is a newer version also but haven’t tried it.

I highly recommend this https://www.amazon.com/ReliefBand-Motion-Sickness-Device-Batteries/dp/B00VU8XXBE/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1535247833&sr=8-3&keywords=relief+band+motion+sickness&dpID=31y-C8KN2VL&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I was once on a tour in a “pirate” boat in the swells; so sick for over an hour; finally someone noticed & gave them their band; within 5 minutes I was perfectly fine & complaining about being starving! Never leave home without it now. There is a newer version also but haven’t tried it.

Hi Kathleen, I agree, I actually do have the newer version (we go to Hawaii a lot and I've used it for the road to hana)....

Do you know how it compares to the version I gave the link to?

A friend of mine used the older version (in your link) and it saved her life for cruising (along with her marriage!) - I held out for the newer version which looks very similar to a large "fitbit" - same principle.....works great for me on curvy roads; haven't had the chance to use on ships yet

https://www.reliefband.com/collections/reliefband/products/reliefband®-2-0

definitely is more expensive; unfortunately not really sure of the difference between versions

A friend of mine used the older version (in your link) and it saved her life for cruising (along with her marriage!) - I held out for the newer version which looks very similar to a large "fitbit" - same principle.....works great for me on curvy roads; haven't had the chance to use on ships yet

https://www.reliefband.com/collections/reliefband/products/reliefband®-2-0

definitely is more expensive; unfortunately not really sure of the difference between versions

Thanks. I bought mine a long time ago & it was really expensive - more expensive than the new version. I’m considering getting the new version since mine is pretty old.

As to best location to minimize movement: upper midship/lower Fwd/Lower Aft. Upper decks tend to move more if the ship is in a rolling sea (winds/sea state from side to side); fwd and aft have more movement then midship when the ship is pitching (winds/sea state from front or behind ship). So you see, its not as straight forward as it would seem.

But my recommendation is to stay on a lower deck in a SR that is least aft or forward, if you are that susceptible to motion sickness. Higher deck SR feel more movement even midship than lower a bit forward/aft unless you are in a major storm with high seastate, then all bets are off. You are then pitching and rolling. Fwd or Aft? Find the closest to midship, or check for obstructions and if close to elevators and so on as you’d do normally.

Den

Chef Heather,

Don't forget that between now and your ultimate cruise cabin availibility is always in flux. Just watch the cruise itinerary, deck plans and cabin avaiibility and change cabins if one you prefer becomes available.

Personlly I'd always choose an aft or middle aft to a forward cabin no matter the deck. Our first cruise was on the lowest deck and inside. Now it's an aft on a high deck if we can get it. There are just some patches of water that can "fluctuate" no matter the itinerary.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at several cruises that on none of them is a lower deck / midship cabin available; in general, which would be better if I tend to get seasick? And yes, I use either medicine or the relief band, but trying to do prevent :D

1. Lower deck but front or aft cabin

2. Higher deck (possibly pretty high) but mid ship?

I realize this can vary from ship to ship and even possibly location, but any thoughts on the alternative? If it helps, we are looking at cruises with both Celebrity S Class and newer HAL either in the Med or Northern Europe for Sept 2019.

Many thanks,

Heather

If you are currently not working with a TA, I'd recommend to get one. A good TA will know what cabins are best, What is currently available (they can see ALL availability) and will waitlist you for one that is in the best place if it is not currently available.

Steve