Door signs

snuggarelli

No dumb questions.....they are all interesting and good info for somebody. We are currently on Regent Navigator. We are on the 11th floor in a Penthouse suite.....there happens to be a “very decorated “ door on our floor. Lots of badges of where this older adorable couple have been. Actually it is colorful and fun. Why not? Whatever floats your boat (pun intended),

Sorry you have felt that cruise critic folks are critical. It really is a wonderful site to get questions answered.

Agree completely. It is your home away from home and some people are very creative with their door decorations. Not everybody does it anyway. The only thing that would turn us off would be any political stuff on the door. In today’s environment we look to get away from it and relax and forget anything political.

Sorry I haven't been on the site...

Thank you --

malbecwine

bbfromca

gnomie

brownie

travelcat

fizzy

geegeecruiser

-- for weighing in and sharing your experiences.

I've learned a lot just on this one post. :) I think I will bring a pic of our three kids, cat Poppy, and dog Gunny (actually our oldest's) for our room (inside, not door). I'm glad someone mentioned that (maybe it was in the thread that was linked? - I have a terrible memory). You all have been very helpful. Much appreciated!

Sorry I haven't been on the site...

Thank you --

malbecwine

bbfromca

gnomie

brownie

travelcat

fizzy

geegeecruiser

-- for weighing in and sharing your experiences.

I've learned a lot just on this one post. :) I think I will bring a pic of our three kids, cat Poppy, and dog Gunny (actually our oldest's) for our room (inside, not door). I'm glad someone mentioned that (maybe it was in the thread that was linked? - I have a terrible memory). You all have been very helpful. Much appreciated!

You are welcome. Enjoy your cruise and if you want to decorate your door. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread (yes, I know it's kind of old, but still ... ) ...

I'm booked on the 2020 Grand Cape Horn Adventure that starts October 29, 2020, and ends January 5, 2021.  That means I'll be on board the Mariner for Halloween, Thanksgiving (US), Christmas, and New Year's.  At least I have a couple of years to decide if I want to bring stuff to decorate the door.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

On 9/6/2018 at 4:37 PM, snuggarelli said:

I've learned a lot just on this one post. 🙂 I think I will bring a pic of our three kids, cat Poppy, and dog Gunny (actually our oldest's) for our room (inside, not door). I'm glad someone mentioned that (maybe it was in the thread that was linked? - I have a terrible memory). You all have been very helpful. Much appreciated!

This reminds me of something that I've been wondering about--are the walls of the suites metal?  I'm thinking of Mariner specifically but probably all are the same.  I was recently on Seabourn Quest and tried this out with a magnetic sticker I got on an excursion, and in fact at least one wall of our suite was metallic.

This would be useful on a long cruise; since we're anticipating a WC in a couple of years, using your walls to post lists, maps, family pictures could be a good use of space.

I realize too that a door sign might be useful on a world cruise as well. Since friendships might get a bit deeper over a four month period, it might be useful for finding each other.

Wendy,
The walls on some of the ships used to be metallic, but I don't think they are anymore. At least on our last cruise, magnets did not stick. It may be the wallpaper is keeping magnets from sticking. I have been bringing small Command Strips to put up my map. Both sides of main cabin door are metallic.

Bill

Bill (and Wendy),

The walls are metal but the wall paper is too heavy for most magnets to work. On the older ships, there were still some  un-papered areas but on the Explorer, I had no luck at all.

I don't know what command strips are but if they work - great.

I guess I'll have to be creative in the future!

Peggy

On the Voyager last March and April, the narrow wall separating the bedroom from the desk, in a Cat. G suite, was able to hold magnets on both sides. That same wall probably also will work on the Mariner. 

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

Thanks guys for all the magnet lore.  I'll consider Command holders, but despite their reputation, I'd still be afraid of damaging the wallpaper.  I have plenty of them in use in my place in Toronto, so I should try to remove one.  In Florida I can't use them, it's too damp--after a while if I hang something on the hook, it comes off taking a piece of the drywall paint with it. A map would be nice although I'm betting they will give us one.  A small magnetic whiteboard would be great, for notes and reminders.   

If anyone has used Command fasteners on the walls and successfully removed them, I'd love to hear.  No rush, I'm not leaving for over two years, lol!

On Mariner, we found the closet door to be the best place to use magnets to affix itinerary, restaurant bookings etc.

During the build of Explorer, and the refurbishment of the other ships, they did not just wallpaper the steel walls but in many areas added a dry-lining which makes even the strongest magnets ineffective.

Magnets still work on the doors.

23 hours ago, BBfromCA said:

I have used Command Strips on several cruises on the ships. I have never had a problem removing them. They did not hurt the walls/wallpaper. I just get a package of the small strips, without the hooks.

I'm trying to picture this since most of the Command products have "strips" that come with some kind of hook or similar.  I'm thinking you mean the "Poster Strips"?  Never used these, but will have a look, thanks.