Latitudes Rewards Pleasant Surprise

kismet618

Just got off the 3 Day NCL Sky GSC/Nassau cruise yesterday. When I checked my Latitudes Rewards account today, I was expecting to see my additional 3 points added to my account, which would get me to 48 points, 7 away from Gold Tier. To my surprise, I saw that NCL elevated me to Gold anyway. I shouldn’t have hit that level until after my DW and I go on the Epic 7 day this coming February, but now I will get enjoy Gold status for that cruise. Anyone else out there had the Latitudes Rewards Fairy move them up a tier earlier than they were supposed to?

FYI...had a great 3 day on the Sky. She still is a nice ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, NCL have been updating latitudes tiers based on the old requirements for some time now. A few people have mentioned this happening to them. I initially thought that if only applied if you had booked the cruise before the changes, but now I’m not so sure.

It isn’t surprising that you haven’t heard about it though. It is a positive thing, so only qualifies for one post about it every three months or so. If it was a negative there would be a few long threads about it every week. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, NCL have been updating latitudes tiers based on the old requirements for some time now. A few people have mentioned this happening to them. I initially thought that if only applied if you had booked the cruise before the changes, but now I’m not so sure.

It isn’t surprising that you haven’t heard about it though. It is a positive thing, so only qualifies for one post about it every three months or so. If it was a negative there would be a few long threads about it every week. :)

Hahaha...so true. We love NCL and wished more people would post about the great cruises that they’ve had.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Like!

Yes, we had the same thing happen to us after our last cruise in June. We had booked the cruise before they changed the rules so that was what I thought the reason was. We would have been 6 points shy of Gold with the new rules but we were elevated to Gold. Sometimes good things do happen.

Unfortunately, the latitudes fairy missed us in May. We had two almost back to back cruises, the first on the Epic which brought us to two points more for platinum. So when we boarded the Breakaway 2 days later we were hoping that they would boost us up to platinum, but, alas, no they didn't. So now we are officially platinum for our next cruise in Feb.

Unfortunately, the latitudes fairy missed us in May. We had two almost back to back cruises, the first on the Epic which brought us to two points more for platinum. So when we boarded the Breakaway 2 days later we were hoping that they would boost us up to platinum, but, alas, no they didn't. So now we are officially platinum for our next cruise in Feb.

I’m not quite clear. Are you saying that the first cruise took you above the current level for platinum, or the old one?

I suspect that not being platinum for the second cruise may have been more to do with your account not being updated in time (although 2 days probably should have been enough).

If you were above the new level then the cruisenext department should have sorted that out for you.

Did you check your account during the second cruise to see what the system said you were? If it was platinum then I would certainly have gone to cruisenext, even if that was based on the old rules. I suspect that they just check what the system says, not the actual points.

Sorry for the confusion. After our Epic cruise we needed two more points to make platinum. We checked when we boarded the Breakaway but they didn't upgrade us yet. Didn't think to recheck later on because I heard that you do not get the upgrade until after the cruise was over.

What were the old level requirements vs. the new? I think this might be the 3rd reorganization my points have been a part of. Our first sailing all they had was bronze, silver, gold. Then one change was so major, all the past sailings had to get entered back in manually, but I think they were still only the three levels? We're only "every few years" cruisers, so after this month's 7-day in a suite we'll still be a few short of platinum.

What were the old level requirements vs. the new? I think this might be the 3rd reorganization my points have been a part of. Our first sailing all they had was bronze, silver, gold. Then one change was so major, all the past sailings had to get entered back in manually, but I think they were still only the three levels? We're only "every few years" cruisers, so after this month's 7-day in a suite we'll still be a few short of platinum.

Old requirements:

Bronze 1-19

Silver 20-47

Gold 48-75

Platinum 76+

New requirements:

Bronze 1-29

Silver 30-54

Gold 55-79

Platinum 80-174

Platinum Plus 175-699

Ambassador 700+

Old requirements:

Bronze 1-19

Silver 20-47

Gold 48-75

Platinum 76+

New requirements:

Bronze 1-29

Silver 30-54

Gold 55-79

Platinum 80-174

Platinum Plus 175-699

Ambassador 700+

Did NCL downgrade people to a lower level when the change was made or "grandfather" them to stay at their current level if they were short of points in the new system?

Did NCL downgrade people to a lower level when the change was made or "grandfather" them to stay at their current level if they were short of points in the new system?

Nobody was downgraded. The details about the change specifically say that people who had already reached levels would be grandfathered in.

What the debate is about is those people who had cruises booked which would have taken them over the old levels, but not the new ones. I don't think this was ever stated clearly, but a literal reading of the rules would suggest that they wouldn't get the higher level as they weren't there when the rules changed. However, in practice, they have been honouring the old levels. What I am not clear on is whether you had to have the cruise booked before the changes in order for this to happen. Logic says that you should, but it appears from reports that this may not be the case.

Does anyone know the date of the change? My parents have had a bad experience with their latitudes - they are one or two points from platinum. Their last cruise offered double points which should have put them over but it never happened. I have been told by more than one NCL rep that the escape to bermuda in april/may 2018 never offered double points - but I have a screen shot to prove it. I was then told that although it was offered, my parents didn't book on a day that it was offered. Again, incorrect. NCL is standing firm despite the proof that I have sent in. I am honestly shocked that they are so unwilling to grant them what they earned (and this is the over 80 point new system). Is the two specialty dinners really worth losing loyal customers? I guess i will write a letter next and snail mail. But seriously, I shouldn't have too. Very disappointed.

The changes happened in February 2017. I don’t remember the exact date.

I assume the issues you are referring to relate to latitudes insider offer bonus points. In that case I don’t believe that this will affect that, as I’m not aware of anything changing with regard to that.