A DECK of number

Pippawhipper1

A DECK balcony odd number is that starboard. I requested port but they have not taken my request is there anything I can do.:(:([emoji45]
Odd is normally starboard. You cannot request a port or starboard cabin, but if you pay a select fare you will be able to choose an exact cabin.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

When I rang p and o up 2 weeks ago they said they would put a note on the booking for me, but just didn't help me when so many port side are available really don't make sense.

Putting a note on your booking guarantees nothing, the saver fares mean that your cabin will be allocated by computer and computer programs are rarely able to act on notes because they require precise instructions. A computer program instruction would be along the lines of :

If location indicator equals "S" allocate Starboard else allocate Port.

Putting a note on your booking guarantees nothing, the saver fares mean that your cabin will be allocated by computer and computer programs are rarely able to act on notes because they require precise instructions. A computer program instruction would be along the lines of :

If location indicator equals "S" allocate Starboard else allocate Port.

Ok but why did they say we will request it.

Possibly an inexperienced call center person or someone who just took the easy route of saying yes rather than saying no and having to explain why. They most probably did enter the request on the system but computer programs are very pedantic and do not act on free formatted information they usually require indicators to be set which is why quite often you have tick boxes when you are filling in forms. Free formatted data is usually only used for displayed or printed information.

If the op has not paid for a select fare, I do not believe the call operator would have the authority to allocate a port or starboard cabin. If such authority was available, then many pax with saver fares on certain cruises, would be wanting to be allocated cabins on the "sunny" side of the ship, thus reducing availability for those of us who pay a higher, select fare, to ensure we get the cabin we want.

I think the operator either did not know that allocating a certain cabin was not possible, or just said "yes" for an easy life!

Just guessing here but they probably also said they could give no guarantee or promise (or something similar). No doubt the request was made, possibly in the knowledge that it was unlikely to make a difference.

As others have said, the only way you can get a guaranteed position on the ship is to book and pay for a select fare and tick the no upgrade box.

Why would being on one side make it special?

Perhaps they are in a balcony cabin. I know from experience that you can sometimes smell cigarette smoke on the starboard side because that is the side that the smoking areas are on. This is the reason that we always book select and port side and refuse upgrades.:D

Perhaps they are in a balcony cabin. I know from experience that you can sometimes smell cigarette smoke on the starboard side because that is the side that the smoking areas are on. This is the reason that we always book select and port side and refuse upgrades.:D
That's a thought - still waiting for the op to give us the reason.

Hi OP.....first of all which fare did you book...Select or Saver ? It is important for us to know that so that we can give correct advice.

Second....why Port side ?

Must have been a saver fare, otherwise she could have selected an exact cabin location, not just the Port side.

She has been asked 4 or 5 times why she wants to be on this side of the ship, but despite coming back to shout at us, she has still not given a reason.

Hi wowzz...I thought it must have been a Saver fares but just wanted to make sure from the OP.

I noticed that the question had been asked a few times so just thought I would ask too. I know a comment has been made about smoke on the Starboard side but not sure if smoke would be a problem up on A deck.

Just thought of another reason for wanting port side. We are looking at a transatlantic to New York and back to visit family, our TA has advised us to book port going out and starboard coming back to maximise the sun on the balcony in the afternoon. Perhaps the OP is going transatlantic if it is for a special holiday.

Just thought of another reason for wanting port side. We are looking at a transatlantic to New York and back to visit family, our TA has advised us to book port going out and starboard coming back to maximise the sun on the balcony in the afternoon. Perhaps the OP is going transatlantic if it is for a special holiday.

Unless you are booking two different cruises, one there and a different cruise back that isn't possible. I've never known it possible to switch cabins mid cruise (barring problems).

It's a very old fashion idea and is the spurious origin of the word posh - Port Out, Starboard Home.

And here I thought it was a friendly site.

NOT

THIS IS MY VERY LAST CRUISE ( REASONS WHICH ARE VERY PERSONAL)

Wanted it to be special.

Now upset by comments.

Not all made of money took a lot to safe for one last cruise

I find on all forums if you give as much information as possible in your questions you will get much nicer and helpful answers.

Unless you are booking two different cruises, one there and a different cruise back that isn't possible. I've never known it possible to switch cabins mid cruise (barring problems).

It's a very old fashion idea and is the spurious origin of the word posh - Port Out, Starboard Home.

It is 2 cruises out on Queen Mary, staying with family up in Boston then returning 2 weeks later again Queen Mary

Have to say that there is something a little fishy here!

If the OP has a saver fare, and has been given her cabin number already, I assume that the cruise must be in the next week or so. I would agree that really the only logical reason for wanting a cabin on a specific side of a ship is to maximise sun or shade [i think we've agreed that cigarette smoke is not an issue in this case], in which case this really only applies to a one way Atlantic crossing, and I am not aware of any of these in the next week or so.. I know that Aurora is going to the US and Canada later this month, but as it is a return cruise, the need for a cabin on a specific side of the ship is not apparent.

As the OP has disappeared without trace, I guess we will never know!

Have to say that there is something a little fishy here!

If the OP has a saver fare, and has been given her cabin number already, I assume that the cruise must be in the next week or so. I would agree that really the only logical reason for wanting a cabin on a specific side of a ship is to maximise sun or shade [i think we've agreed that cigarette smoke is not an issue in this case], in which case this really only applies to a one way Atlantic crossing, and I am not aware of any of these in the next week or so.. I know that Aurora is going to the US and Canada later this month, but as it is a return cruise, the need for a cabin on a specific side of the ship is not apparent.

As the OP has disappeared without trace, I guess we will never know!

It is a little unfair to suspect something fishy. It is quite possible that OP is going transatlantic on a repositioning cruise, I just looked and Azura is going out to the Caribbean 19th October and IMHO it is quite possible that the early savers have had their cabins allocated. We met a couple on one of our cruises who told us that they had been surprised to get their cabin allocation 8 weeks before sailing date, they said that their TA told them that early savers are allocated several weeks before late savers. I can't be sure how cabins are allocated since we always do select but I would like to give the benefit of the doubt to OP.