Hurricane Florence

mlmbar

Best of luck to everyone on their travels. Be safe.

But a word of advice if you are planning to travel 95 through VA / NC / SC - the road will be full of coastal folks getting out of the way of this thing (myself included). Most likely travel day will be Wednesday, since tropical force winds will will be coming in overnight, making travel on Thursday problematic. And lots of will head south on 95. Yes, I know it may not make sense at first thought, but it gets you out of the path of the rain and flooding, so it can make travel back home much easier.

So if you are coming from "up north" and can hop on 81 to 77 to 26, it could work out better for you, and honestly, keep another car off the road for me.

Happy travels. Enjoy your cruise. I have one in November, and I think I'll really need it by time this is over.

We decided to actually leave Tuesday, nice being retired and able to go when we want. There are four of us going, when wife and I go we fly. Son and I did Auto Train last year and that was fun but we have dog with us, they don’t do dogs.

Changed flight to Wednesday for $265! Original flight was only $288. But I feel better

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Best of luck to everyone on their travels. Be safe.

But a word of advice if you are planning to travel 95 through VA / NC / SC - the road will be full of coastal folks getting out of the way of this thing (myself included). Most likely travel day will be Wednesday, since tropical force winds will will be coming in overnight, making travel on Thursday problematic. And lots of will head south on 95. Yes, I know it may not make sense at first thought, but it gets you out of the path of the rain and flooding, so it can make travel back home much easier.

So if you are coming from "up north" and can hop on 81 to 77 to 26, it could work out better for you, and honestly, keep another car off the road for me.

Happy travels. Enjoy your cruise. I have one in November, and I think I'll really need it by time this is over.

26 East would take you closer to what many models are predicting as ground zero for Florence. Another alternative might be to pick up I-85 in Charlotte to Atlanta then I-75 into Fla from there.

26 East would take you closer to what many models are predicting as ground zero for Florence. Another alternative might be to pick up I-85 in Charlotte to Atlanta then I-75 into Fla from there.

agreed. On Thursday, 26 could be a problem. But on Wednesday, it could be a good route to 95 and parts farther south. But, 95 south could easily be a parking lot on Wednesday. It's going to be chaotic for a few days.

What did they charge to change your flight. BTW, glad you changed. Whatever you paid, it's worth the peace of mind

$200 change and $65 difference in fare. AA issued alerts today and will waive change fee but Miami is not amongst them They are for travel 9/13-14 so it seems they do see Thursday as a problem

Changed flight to Wednesday for $265! Original flight was only $288. But I feel better

Btw I hope your return flight is linked to your new outbound flight. Otherwise the airline will cancel your return flight. Happened to me once![emoji15]

agreed. On Thursday, 26 could be a problem. But on Wednesday, it could be a good route to 95 and parts farther south. But, 95 south could easily be a parking lot on Wednesday. It's going to be chaotic for a few days.

A few years ago we were on 95 taking the grandkids on the obligatory Orlando trip. From Savannah to Jacksonvile we were in the leading edge of a tropical storm. I wouldn't want to risk that again.

You may be already planning on this but make any motel reservations ASAP. From what we are hearing in NC, I-95 will be really dangerous on Thursday and Friday with hurricane gusts and torrential rain going inland to Raleigh (west of I-95) and even farther. I-81 might be a better route. There will be major evacuations from the coast and motels towards the mountains of NC will fill quickly as they have previously. Good luck!

Thanks!! Did that last night after my "car rental" post. Got a great rate at a Hilton between Greenville/Spartanburg and Atlanta for Thursday night. Called Hilton Honors today to check on whether they are waving penalties in the event we are unable to reach the hotel. They confirmed they are waiving penalties for the States with declared SoE's.

Checked the prices again to today and they've gone up a bit, but nothing major.

Hope everyone gets where they want to go before they need to be there!!

;)

$200 change and $65 difference in fare. AA issued alerts today and will waive change fee but Miami is not amongst them They are for travel 9/13-14 so it seems they do see Thursday as a problem

Good move!! Storm could make landfall as early as Wed. night as a Category 4 OR 5, which would be the first cat 5 since 1950's to hit NC! But before it makes landfall there will be high winds and storm surge especially during high tide. Have a safe trip tomorrow and let us know if your cruise is impacted. :cool:

Starting tomorrow I-26 will have only westbound traffic so taking it to I-95 will not be an option. Traffic on 3 other routes to the coast in SC is being reversed as well. That rarely happens. The governor has ordered coastal evacuation. In 2016, Matthew dumped an enormous amount of water on SC which led to extended flooding as far inland as Columbia.

Here in Charlotte we're expecting to be at the far inland edge but still a heavy rain/wind event.

Starting tomorrow I-26 will have only westbound traffic so taking it to I-95 will not be an option. Traffic on 3 other routes to the coast in SC is being reversed as well. That rarely happens. The governor has ordered coastal evacuation. In 2016, Matthew dumped an enormous amount of water on SC which led to extended flooding as far inland as Columbia.

Here in Charlotte we're expecting to be at the far inland edge but still a heavy rain/wind event.

Great googly moogly. Like I said, it’s going to be a chaotic few days. I40 used be be set up for one way traffic out of here, but they took it out of the plan a few years ago. Questioned the decision at the time, really questioning it now.

We decided to actually leave Tuesday, nice being retired and able to go when we want. There are four of us going, when wife and I go we fly. Son and I did Auto Train last year and that was fun but we have dog with us, they don’t do dogs.

Good move..enjoy your trip.!

Governor of SC has issued mandatory evac and ALL major roads leading from the coast will become one way inland as of Noon tomorrow. NC going to be next....and probably VA as well. PLEASE don't ignore the evacuation orders....NOTHING is worth more than your life. :*

Amen! Very good advuce.

We will cancel our Fl flights on Wed night if nothing changes for the better about the firecasts for Friday. Still hoping for a no extra charge change from Sw Air for Sat or Sunday... but so far not offered.

We are not going to look for danger flying through the fringes of a storm or being stranded in Baltimore..

We are not going to look for danger flying through the fringes of a storm...

Why would the airlines operate a multimillion dollar airplane with hundreds of passengers if doing so will place them in danger?

Trust me when I say that there’s NO way that any reputable airline will operate a flight if your safety will be compromised. Rest assured that, if your flight will operate, it won’t do so by placing you in danger. If anything, additional safety precautions will be taken.

Why would the airlines operate a multimillion dollar airplane with hundreds of passengers if doing so will place them in danger?

Trust me when I say that there’s NO way that any reputable airline will operate a flight if your safety will be compromised. Rest assured that, if your flight will operate, it won’t do so by placing you in danger. If anything, additional safety precautions will be taken.

Look for American (Charlotte hub) and Delta (Atlanta hub) to start canceling flights starting Wednesday.

Well I guess we will just hope not

If you're still flying non-stop from Philly to Miami you'll be fine tomorrow. Once you take off from Philly you won't stop till you get to Miami! Have a glass of wine and get a good night's sleep. I have a daughter in Asheville, NC; a grandson in Charlotte; and a best friend in Wilmington who is refusing to evacuate...I know I'll be having another glass!!! :wine-glass::wine-glass::wine-glass::beer-mug::beer-mug: