NCL Ultimate Beverage Package, Unlimited Open Bar

vpearlkc

I was watching a video of changes Carnival made to their drink package. I was shocked at the difference compared to NCL. Not only is the drink package less, they also only charge 15% instead of 20% gratuity.

NCL has a maximum of $15 per drink. Carnival allowed $50 per drink which was reduced to $20. Carnival package includes bottled water, soda, specialty coffees and (get this) milkshakes. LMAO

Now THAT is an Ultimate Drink Package

I think NCL and Carnival should switch drink package names. NCL should be "Cheers" and Carnival should be "Ultimate Drink Package."

As I understand it Royal's deluxe drink package also includes bottled water, soda, etc. and their gratuity is 18%. It's hard to nail down how much their package costs though because they put them on sale so often. I can buy it now before the cruise for $50pp/pd and onboard it's around $60. I've seen people saying they bought them on sale for as little as $37 (and of course that is dictated by the demand for each sailing).

As I understand it Royal's deluxe drink package also includes bottled water, soda, etc. and their gratuity is 18%. It's hard to nail down how much their package costs though because they put them on sale so often. I can buy it now before the cruise for $50pp/pd and onboard it's around $60. I've seen people saying they bought them on sale for as little as $37 (and of course that is dictated by the demand for each sailing).

I just purchased mine as part of a drink/internet package. They pay up to $12/drink, which covers most things but not all. As you said, it covers bottled water, fresh juices, and specialty coffees, none of which I will drink. You are right though, the price varies greatly sailing to sailing, ship to ship. There was a "sale" earlier this week. The price didn't change for my sailing, and people reported they were seeing around 10 different prices. Hard to keep up.

I just purchased mine as part of a drink/internet package. They pay up to $12/drink, which covers most things but not all. As you said, it covers bottled water, fresh juices, and specialty coffees, none of which I will drink. You are right though, the price varies greatly sailing to sailing, ship to ship. There was a "sale" earlier this week. The price didn't change for my sailing, and people reported they were seeing around 10 different prices. Hard to keep up.

Yep, I'm not a big fan of "dynamic pricing" but I'm okay with $50 a day so if that's what it is a week or so before sailing that's what it is.

Yep, I'm not a big fan of "dynamic pricing" but I'm okay with $50 a day so if that's what it is a week or so before sailing that's what it is.

I just paid more for a 4 day drink package than I've paid for 7 day packages in many years. There is something to be said for the NCL perk.

I just paid more for a 4 day drink package than I've paid for 7 day packages in many years. There is something to be said for the NCL perk.

If you can get a decent price, absolutely. When we booked Anthem though NCL was twice the price so even with having to pay for the package on Royal we're still ahead of the game.

I have seen it pre-cruise for as low as $44. per day plus the Gratuities....that works out to around $50 . I always add $700 to any fare on Royal when pricing cruises for the Bride and I (7 day cruise)

Be careful, there are martinis that exceed $15. You’ll have to pay the difference in price.

Yeah the only one that really bothered me was the chocolate martini! I don’t understand why a chocolate martini would be over $15. Just weird!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It also has a cap on drinks per day, which NCL doesn’t. So superior in some ways, inferior in others.

Since I only pay the gratuities on the package I’m not too upset about it not covering milkshakes but I do like that I don’t need to worry about keeping track of how many drinks I’ve had any given day and if I happen to order a drink and don’t like it it won’t count towards some magic limit. Just paid my gratuity and I’m set!

Inflated fare to cover the "perk" is certainly something to be said. NCL's marketing gimmick is brilliant, they've fooled customers to think they are only paying $18 a day for their much less than unlimited drink package.

I agree with you that the price of rooms that include the option of the free at sea choices is much higher than the sale away category and I do consider that when making a decision about whether to choose the package with the perks or the cheaper package without. But I will say this about NCL, they have the lowest price for solo travelers of any of the lines. On carnival I would have to pay $899 Plus taxes and port charges for a solo inner cabin without any perks whatsoever. On Norwegian Cruise line I just paid $1199+ port charges and taxes +129 for gratuities but instead of an inside cabin, I have a balcony cabin with 4 free at sea perks plus $200 on board credit! The balcony without the perks or OBC would have cost $899 plus tax and port charges.

Inflated fare to cover the "perk" is certainly something to be said. NCL's marketing gimmick is brilliant, they've fooled customers to think they are only paying $18 a day for their much less than unlimited drink package.

They haven't fooled everyone. I compare the overall price with the overall price of other trips. Just because someone is taking an included perk doesn't mean they are being fooled. That's kind of stupid for you to suggest.

Do you also get on here and scold people that their food really isn't included, or that their cabin really isn't included? You are paying a price for a cruise with certain things included. For me, the UBP is one of those things. So is my food. So is my cabin. So is entertainment.

• 2 months later...