Canadian at par ever?

mackfam

I believe that the current exchange rate that Princess is charging is 1.30. Fortunately I have several cruises booked at lower rates. The last time the Princess were this high was running deals at par. Even though we are elite on Princess and like the perks the NCL deal was too good to turn down. Perhaps if we can settle a NAFA deal our dollar will recover somewhat.

I follow currency since I travel a good deal. Aus$ and Canadian$ exchange rather poor compared to US$. A few years ago..,about 5 both were close to 1/1. The US$ is strong also compared to € and £ and in fact most currencies. I can’t explain but excellent for US travelers. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would they do that??? Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FWIW, it's not uncommon for businesses in some northern US states to offer such "Canadian at Par" deals to entice Canadians from large population centers to come over the border and shop. As one example, ski hills in upstate New York and Vermont have done it for years., though perhaps less so when, like now, our $ is so weak compared to the US $ If Princess aren't doing now, it's probably because they don't need to in order to get Canadians to sail with them. We just suck it up and pay 30% more for our cruises because we love cruising with Princess.

FWIW, it's not uncommon for businesses in some northern US states to offer such "Canadian at Par" deals to entice Canadians from large population centers to come over the border and shop. As one example, ski hills in upstate New York and Vermont have done it for years., though perhaps less so when, like now, our $ is so weak compared to the US $ If Princess aren't doing now, it's probably because they don't need to in order to get Canadians to sail with them. We just suck it up and pay 30% more for our cruises because we love cruising with Princess.

As I mentioned I am on board The Royal at the moment doing a TA to NYC on a 15 day cruise since we make several stops in Europe. Today we are in Hamburg. I think the ship holds around 3,600 but because of singles only about 3,300 are on board. Yesterday at the

M&G the staff mentioned about 2,300 US citizens on board, second as usual was Canada with about 350, third was Australians with about

300, fourth was UK with 225, and fifth was Germany. I stand to be corrected since I a writing from memory. Of course other countries represented as well.

If anyone can figure out why the US$ is so strong I would be very interested. I have read a number of articles and they range form A-Z

Some attribute it to Brexit especially for the € and £ for Europe. Others attribute it to politics and the American President, still others attribute it to the supply of and low demand of/for oil. Perhaps it is a combination of all three.

All articles that I have read say that in times of uncertainty investors flee to the US $. I am not an economist but understand travelers from the US benefit the most from a strong US $ but I find the average traveler knows or

cares little about exchange rates. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums