Sad Viking Tale

Topspin44

As a small update to Viking I have just received my 'Info Pack' from Viking for my next trip in 3 weeks through Eastern Europe and it is so comprehensive tailored to the individual explaining all documentation, passport requirements, currency and Credit card protocol and basically taking you by the hand through every procedure from the time you leave home heading for the airport, to the time they leave you at the airport at 'Check In' there is no way you are going to make a mistake, If You Read It. I did almost make a big mistake ( picked up by Viking) that my PC auto filled in a recently expired Passport Details.

While I agree entirely that Viking sends comprehensive information, 3 weeks is too late for this information. It can take longer than that to get a visa, if needed.

One of the questions really stood out as being quite bizarre, " Are you involved in terrorist activity against the USA or any other country"?. Who in 'Homeland Security' thought that question up?. If You were a terrorist would you answer it honestly?

That question and others like it predate the ESTA process by many years as they were also on the much older forms used for many years before ESTA.

By including questions like this it creates an additional and much easier to prove offence, if you lie about these matters, so it greatly simplifies deportation etc.

Unfortunately it´s not that easy and quick. You have to file your points and then get an appointment for an interview and face check at the embassay...

steamboats

What I was saying was in response to your comment that the response comes back in a few minutes when you submit the esta form.

Thus the comment that one can cross check the form info with other collected information quite easily in a couple of minutes.

Had nothing to do with Visa process.

Did you use the my viking journey website? I received several emails about using this site. If so they provide a pre-travel checklist. One of the bullet points listed is arrange for needed visas. I think this list they provide is most useful. We also used an outside ta for booking. We found by doing this we received a few extra perks you wouldn't get going through Viking. We did, however, use Viking for our air and insurance.

While our frustrated passenger may have failed to read all of the documents given them, I also feel the cruise line should place a notice on the Viking account about visas. Many cruise lines are quick to sell the voyage but don't disclose the need for special visas or shots in their advertising flyers. Since many times the visas are expensive and add to the cost of a trip they should be disclosed somewhere in their flyers.

While our frustrated passenger may have failed to read all of the documents given them, I also feel the cruise line should place a notice on the Viking account about visas. Many cruise lines are quick to sell the voyage but don't disclose the need for special visas or shots in their advertising flyers. Since many times the visas are expensive and add to the cost of a trip they should be disclosed somewhere in their flyers.

The difficulty with that is that the requirements can be quite different for people carrying different passports (and sometimes different depending on where you were born). I'm not saying that they shouldn't mention the possibility of a visa, but that it is hard to be comprehensive.

Even knowing that a visa is required doesn't always help you figure out the cost. I sailed with Ama on the Mekong last year. I knew that (for my itinerary) a multi-entry visa was required for Vietnam. I researched options, and since I prefer not to send my passport, I opted for the email application to the embassy in Ottawa, and they mail you back an actual paper visa to put in your passport. However, much as I searched, I couldn't find out the cost of the visa itself; I had a choice as to speed which affected the mailing cost but the visa cost remained a mystery until I saw it when I checked my credit card transactions online. In addition, from what I read, the cost of a visa seems to be all over the place when you deal with a visa service.

Viking puts Visa notices on their website

Viking puts Visa notices in several places on MyVikingJourney which you need to visit before sailing

Viking puts a printed Visa notice on your invoice

Viking puts a Visa notice on their emails to you about your flight & cruise

Viking puts a Visa notice in their very nice cruise book they mail you before their cruise

I do not know what more they can do

Viking puts Visa notices on their website

Viking puts Visa notices in several places on MyVikingJourney which you need to visit before sailing

Viking puts a printed Visa notice on your invoice

Viking puts a Visa notice on their emails to you about your flight & cruise

Viking puts a Visa notice in their very nice cruise book they mail you before their cruise

I do not know what more they can do

I fully concur with philw1776! It seems that every piece of information I received from Viking mentioned in some way, but very clearly, that we needed to find out whether or not we needed visas for our cruise. I was surprised at how often the information was repeated.

I fully concur with philw1776! It seems that every piece of information I received from Viking mentioned in some way, but very clearly, that we needed to find out whether or not we needed visas for our cruise. I was surprised at how often the information was repeated.

I guess this story tells you why.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums