Royal IQ Experience on Anthem of the Seas

TTraub1250

Does anyone have experience with Royal IQ and what are the issues with this ?

If you are asking about texting, some report that notifications don't come through and you have to check constantly.

If you only need iMessage, then this has been reported to work for free on Anthem.

We sailed on Anthem last week. I found the RoyalIQ app easy to navigate. We were able to access the daily activities and our daily schedule. The only issue we had was that the location of the activities we purchased or highlighted were not consistently with the activity listed. It was also easy to reserve activities and delete activities.

We were able to receive and send imessages when on RoyalIQ and in airplane mode. This was really helpful as we live in NC and received updates from our Daughter and family who were staying at our house during the storm. No damage for us.

Is this different than the Royal App with your cruise details?

Yes, RCI has two apps - Royal IQ, which works on Quantum class and Harmony and RCI app, which works on Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Indy, Mariner, Oasis, Serenade and Symphony. They work quite differently.

Looked up the RCI app, got some very poor reviews. I don't think you can even message other people of your party, at least I didn't see any mention of that on the reviews. Going on Sympathy in January so we got the voom package for 2 for the price of one.

The Royal IQ app was very disappointing for our group. , Everyone in your party must use the app. very inexpensive ($8.00 pp, per cruise), but in order to get texts from other passengers in your party, you have to keep pulling your phone out as it doesn't make any sound when someone contacts you. Missed out on a lot of "meet you there in 10, meet at -----.etc. Also using the app to change dinner reservations was next to impossible.

Looked up the RCI app, got some very poor reviews. I don't think you can even message other people of your party, at least I didn't see any mention of that on the reviews.

The Royal IQ app was very disappointing for our group. , Everyone in your party must use the app. very inexpensive ($8.00 pp, per cruise), but in order to get texts from other passengers in your party, you have to keep pulling your phone out as it doesn't make any sound when someone contacts you. Missed out on a lot of "meet you there in 10, meet at -----.etc.

The RCI app doesn't have texting capability, yet.

On ships which use the Royal IQ app, you are better off simply using the texting built into the phone (iMessage for iPhone, app like Google Voice for Android) - those work without a VOOM package.

I just want to iMessage my family at home, hopefully I can for only $8.00

iMessage functionality is independent of paying the $8. iMessage will work if Royal has not fixed the firewall hole.

If Royal has fixed the firewall hole, you will have to pay for VOOM in order to text to someone at home. Paying the $8 only gets you Royal IQ texting to others using Royal IQ on the same ship.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok, so the texting option isn't great due to lack of notifications, but it IS usable?  I'll be on Ovation in June - trying to decide if I should just try to wing it with Royal IQ to find my husband on the ship or just get him the internet package as well (I'll be getting it no matter what because our dog sitter needs 24/7 access to me).

6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Ok, so the texting option isn't great due to lack of notifications, but it IS usable?  I'll be on Ovation in June - trying to decide if I should just try to wing it with Royal IQ to find my husband on the ship or just get him the internet package as well (I'll be getting it no matter what because our dog sitter needs 24/7 access to me).

Hard to say.  By June, Ovation may have the RCI App.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 1:16 PM, Biker19 said:

The RCI app doesn't have texting capability, yet.

On ships which use the Royal IQ app, you are better off simply using the texting built into the phone (iMessage for iPhone, app like Google Voice for Android) - those work without a VOOM package.

ok question... how does phone texting work without Wi-Fi? Wouldn't you need a VOOM/internet package in order to text other people on the ship? I've already downloaded the Royal IQ app, but obviously can't poke around in it without being on the ship.  So many different reviews and opinions and information from different boards as well as RCI phone reps.  I don't mind buying the Royal IQ texting for $8 .. but if you're telling me there's a way to text (through Google voice) without internet --- i'm all ears.  Would love more info - and THANKS!!

12 minutes ago, mcskife said:

ok question... how does phone texting work without Wi-Fi? Wouldn't you need a VOOM/internet package in order to text other people on the ship? I've already downloaded the Royal IQ app, but obviously can't poke around in it without being on the ship.  So many different reviews and opinions and information from different boards as well as RCI phone reps.  I don't mind buying the Royal IQ texting for $8 .. but if you're telling me there's a way to text (through Google voice) without internet --- i'm all ears.  Would love more info - and THANKS!!

You need WiFi to connect to the ship's servers, but you don't need VOOM (internet access).  You just connect to the ship's WiFi service and ignore any prompts to log in.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mcskife said:

ok question... how does phone texting work without Wi-Fi? Wouldn't you need a VOOM/internet package in order to text other people on the ship?  but if you're telling me there's a way to text (through Google voice) without internet --- i'm all ears. 

On ships which use the Royal IQ app, some internet traffic gets to/from ship without a VOOM package - that traffic includes iMessage and GV texting. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

On ships which use the Royal IQ app, some internet traffic gets to/from ship without a VOOM package - that traffic includes iMessage and GV texting. 

Yes, this was the case on our January Anthem cruise. When I'm at sea on a ship, data roaming is OFF, cellular connection is OFF, and airplane mode is ON. On my Anthem cruise whenever I was logged into the Royal IQ app at sea ( did not purchase an internet package) I was able to IMessage (with photos) with people at home and on the ship who also had iphones. Not only that, I also got Ring notifications from our doorbell camera at home and could see footage of our son's comings and goings while we were away (didn't tell him about this, lol). I got several FB Messenger messages, AND I was able to access and surf all over Cruise Critic too! I was a little nervous after I got home to Canada waiting for my cell phone bill just in case I'd messed up somehow with my settings, but it was all good.

• Thanks 1