NCL food prepared on Shore and microwaved??

scootersdad

Bird,

It’s a grading system used in the US for beef and is based on the amount of marbling a cut of meat has. Marbling determines juiciness and tenderness. Prime being the highest followed by Choice then Select.

Take Beef for instance, it’s PRIME or CHOICE and neither of those are low quality

Thanks for clarifying, but I’ve been in the Beef business producing fat cattle sold to packing facilities so I know my side of the business. I’ve also taken many behind the scene tours and talked with many chefs on board NCL vessels and low quality beef in not ordered

Anyone that knows about marbling can tell their steaks are above the Select Grade

I've cut meat at points in my career, I do know about grades and marbling and I am confident the steaks served in the MDR and buffet are not even close to Choice and probably not even Select if they even have a US grade. Steaks like the strip that is on MDR menu daily don't have a as much marbling so hard to tell from those, but there is no way those are Choice. The poor excuse for prime rib served in the MDR should have marbling and doesn't (and don't get me started on the razor thin slice they serve - I put more on a sandwich than they put on my plate). The list goes on... And as I said, I am referring to MDR/buffet, not specialty dining.

I couldn't tell from BirdTravels photos if any of those boxes of beef had a US grade on them, maybe Bird can enlarge the originals to see.

I just wanted to say I agree. The MDR food is like middle of the road chain food quality, and to me that is low quality. Even some of the specialty restaurants. Like la cucina is maybe barely a step up from olive garden.

I don't quite remember what it was, but when I was eating at Le Bistro the waiter mentioned how their bread was baked fresh unlike the bread on the rest of the ship. I have to say it was noticeably different. I didn't ask how the bread is prepared on the rest of the ship. It actually tasted like, bread. Not great bread, but decent bread, unlike the stuff served in the MDR and in the buffet.

I am not going to debate the type of breads served in specialty dining rooms compared to MDRs but all the breads on NCL ships I believe are baked fresh daily.

As for middle of the road, chain restaurants, of course the MDRs are similar. I have always said that and I don't expect much else. Why would anyone?.. We are not cruising a luxury line when we choose a mass marketed cruise line for our vacation. I am more than happy with the food as long as I can have upscale a few times. That is why there are specialty dining rooms. La Cucina is a step up from Olive Garden and not much more, but you are paying for the atmosphere as well. And it is certainly a step up.

Edited by newmexicoNita

As for middle of the road, chain restaurants, of course the MDRs are similar. I have always said that and I don't expect much else. Why would anyone?..
Because it used to be much better on mass marketed lines. I understand the reality now and I don't expect fine dining, I've come to expect middle of the road. It's also why I understand the OP's question about food being prepped onshore.

(But I was still shocked at just how thin the prime rib was on Bliss this past June. They must be using a deli slicer to cut it :()

I just wanted to say I agree. The MDR food is like middle of the road chain food quality, and to me that is low quality. Even some of the specialty restaurants. Like la cucina is maybe barely a step up from olive garden.

I don't quite remember what it was, but when I was eating at Le Bistro the waiter mentioned how their bread was baked fresh unlike the bread on the rest of the ship. I have to say it was noticeably different. I didn't ask how the bread is prepared on the rest of the ship. It actually tasted like, bread. Not great bread, but decent bread, unlike the stuff served in the MDR and in the buffet.

The main dinnng rooms serve 2500 covers at dinner service. Compare that to your local restaurant. So, there will be some aspects of mass produced food that impact your experience.

All breads are made and baked on the ship. Most in the main galley. So, overnight, they will be baking all of the breads for the following day. Just like a bakery.

In some specialty restaurants, the bread is baked in that restauramt’s galley and served direct from the oven (versus the main dining room which has breads baked early that day).

Because it used to be much better on mass marketed lines. I understand the reality now and I don't expect fine dining, I've come to expect middle of the road. It's also why I understand the OP's question about food being prepped onshore.

(But I was still shocked at just how thin the prime rib was on Bliss this past June. They must be using a deli slicer to cut it :()

Cruising was different period 20 years ago. It was not a vacation for the average family. There were not 10 or more eating options and there were not all kinds of kids activities for instance. NCL was the first mass marketed to offer a special restaurant I believe. WE used to dress up for dinner and there was no freestyle until the turn of the century. A lot of things have changed but that doesn't mean all changes are bad. Do you want to go back to lugging your after 5 dresses with you or hubby bringing his tux? I certainly do not.

As for the thickness of the prime rib. I wasn't on the Bliss so I can not judge but what we had on the Dawn was what I would expect at the near by buffet if not a little better. This is why I don't eat at buffets often and why I don't expect great food in the MDRs. It is just what I used to tell clients when I was still a TA. If you like the standard chain restaurant you will be very happy with the food on a mass marketed line. If you are accustom to upscale dining you might be a little disappointed.

My experience is that there is a separate bakery, due to the multitude and speciality of the equipment required. And the fact that a bakery off by itself, is a small area and can be placed wherever the designer needs to fill in an awkward space in the ship, without it having to be part of the large main galley. If rolls and such are baked in the specialty galleys, the dough is mixed, shaped, and proofed in the main bakery, as this has the machines to shape dinner rolls, and proofing cabinets that hold a rack of 20 full baking sheets at perfect temperature and humidity for rising dough. Typically, the bakery and pastry shops are in the same location.

You really need to pay attention to the words written.

In post #65 I was asked "How do you know the food quality is low?" (emphasis added). I don't know. And that is what I said: "I don't." And I went on to reinforce the fact that I didn't know: "what gets put in front of us (the finished product) is low quality and I suspect that is due in part becuase they start with low quality ingredients, but I don't know that to be what they start with." (emphasis added)

I see no need for rudeness. One of the criteria of this board is that personal insult is not allowed.

Your original post #7 is this:

I know the food quality is low and thinking things are mass prepared like airline meals isn't unreasonable. But, if you think of the logistics of bringing in literally thousands of prepared meals it seems to me to be very doubtful that is happening.

I believe the root cause of the low quality food is simply using low quality ingredients.

There is no mention here of whether you "know" or "do not know" - you make a very clear statement that in your belief the low quality food is caused by using low quality ingredients. Which, as has been demonstrated by others and by videos is absolute nonsense

QED