Civitavecchia to Rome and back

xcal185

I am doing a back to back cruise on the NCL Spirit and would like to go into Rome on a debarc/embark day. We arrive at 6am and depart at 5pm. Would it be feasible to catch a train by around 8am ? Usually it is chaotic on debarc morning. We wouldn't have any luggage, but would we need a new key card to get back onto ship. Is it possible to get a new key card before the morning of debarcation? What time would be a safe time to head back from Rome?

Thanks for any help

You should receive your new card the day prior to embarcation day. So usually no need to stand in line and check-in for the second cruise.

8 am should be doable depending on where your ship is docking. If you´re docking at 10 to 13 you can walk to the train station (but it´s 20 to 30 min depending on how fast you are doing). The free shuttle will get you to Largo della Pace which is also 20 min walking from the train station. Or from there you can take the 2 Euro shuttle to the train station. From pier 25 you have to take the free shuttle to Largo della Pace.

I highly recommend to take a train back to the ship not later than 3 pm for a 5 pm departure.

steamboats

I am doing a back to back cruise on the NCL Spirit and would like to go into Rome on a debarc/embark day. We arrive at 6am and depart at 5pm. Would it be feasible to catch a train by around 8am ? Usually it is chaotic on debarc morning. We wouldn't have any luggage, but would we need a new key card to get back onto ship. Is it possible to get a new key card before the morning of debarcation? What time would be a safe time to head back from Rome?

Thanks for any help

You will want to finalize your plan after you get on board the ship and determine the exact instructions for turnaround day. They can vary from ship-to-ship, port-to-port, and line-to-line. First, early in the first cruise, stop by the service desk and make sure they have your records indicating you are a B2B passenger. Then, if you have not received a letter of instructions in your cabin a few days before the turnaround, ask again what the procedure will be.

In my case, several years ago, our key cards for the second cruise were delivered the night before. However, they wanted all B2B passengers to meet at 9:00 or so in a lounge as a group so they could centrally process us. They took us all to the gangway as a group and then used our old card to sign us "OFF" the first cruise. If you wished to go ashore, you went ashore with your new card in hand. If you wished to simply return to the ship, they processed you "ON" using your new card and you went back on the ship.

Unfortunately, they took a long time to do this entire process. We met in the lounge at 9:00, but due to some delays with the cruise's debarking passengers, it wasn't until almost 10:30 am before we were taken to the gangway. It was a little frustrating. I exited the ship when I could and walked around Civitavecchia, but since I got such a late start, I didn't try to catch a train into Rome or other location.

Your mileage may vary. I would make the plans that you desire, but be prepared to adjust them.

Further, I would add that planning a 3pm latest departure from Rome is too late.

If your ship departs at 5pm, all-aboard will be not later than 4:30, and it can easily take 90 minutes for the train ride (about an hour) plus getting from the station to your ship, which can take another 30-45 minutes.

I would not cut it so close....

There's a 'fast regional' train departing Termini at 2:12 pm and arriving Civitavecchia at 3:13 pm which is probably what I'd plan on. As a fallback, there is another at 2:42 (a regular regional, which is a bit slower due to additional stops) that arrives Civi at 4:00 pm.

If you would be getting on at a different station than Termini, the timings would differ of course. For example, the 2:12 train mentioned above departs additional Rome stops:

2:23 Ostiense

2:27 Trastevere

2:32 San Pietro

Twice upon a time we were faced with a similar issue at Civitavecchia. After looking at our options and considering the early time we had to be back on the ship we decided not to even try going to Rome. But in our situation we had already been to Rome (and Italy) numerous times so it was nothing like a "trip of a lifetime." On one of those days we actually did nothing other then to spend some time in Civitavecchia taking a long walk and treating ourselves to lunch. I think the other time I just rented a car and we drove to Orvieto for a few hours.

Hank

Would definitely plan on more time to get back from Rome due to unexpected delays and the way the port is set out now it is not user friendly at all for getting from the ship to the train station as the shuttle from the ship goes in the opposite direction than where you want to go. We got off our ship at 7.20 and made the 9am train by a few minutes (by the time we waited in queues for shuttle out of port etc). Check the timetable too - the trains are not nicely evenly spaced at regular intervals. Our ship was in for 12 hours (7 to 7) and we made sure we were on a train out of Rome by 3pm.

Love the idea of a day trip to Orvieto. Civita di Bagnoregio would be highly recommended too and is a little bit closer.

Thanks for all good information. I guess we will wait to see how fast the debarc goes before deciding if we still have enough time to make it to Rome. If not we will stay in the port area or look for something closer.

Brian

Twice upon a time we were faced with a similar issue at Civitavecchia. After looking at our options and considering the early time we had to be back on the ship we decided not to even try going to Rome. But in our situation we had already been to Rome (and Italy) numerous times so it was nothing like a "trip of a lifetime." On one of those days we actually did nothing other then to spend some time in Civitavecchia taking a long walk and treating ourselves to lunch. I think the other time I just rented a car and we drove to Orvieto for a few hours.

Hank

We've been in similar circumstances. First visited Rome on an Italian land tour with a very capable guide. Then visited several times on our own: as a pre-cruise visit then taking the train to Civitavecchia; then stopping at Civitavecchia on a TA that departed from Venice when we just whiled away our time in the port. I love limoncello, to which I was introduced on a Princess cruise, and now take every opportunity to have some so that was my main goal the last time we were in Civ. Mission accomplished! We had also visited Orvieto on that land trip and would recommend it (yet another amazing Cathedral plus wonderful views over the bucolic valley below (I think Orvieto is on something of a high ridge).

Edited by BarbinMich