Social Media Package vs. Others

zackarykeef

Hey, everyone...I've read conflicting statements on this, so just wondering if anyone who has bought/used any of these recently could provide some insight.

I just wanted to know if the social media package includes iMessage and FaceTime. My SO unfortunately can't make it this time, so this is really just to send some iMessages, FaceTime, and post some Snaps every now and then. I definitely do not care about checking email...I don't want to hear from work for a week! :')

Anyway, I just want to know what is included. If I have to buy the other internet packages, I will...I just didn't want to spend extra money if FaceTime/iMessage is included at the lower price. Thanks y'all! :cool:

Someone just confirmed earlier this week, on a different post, that iMessage worked for them using the social media package.

We are mostly on Androiod OS but do have a backup iPhone SE running 12.x (speedier & snappy) and also an iPad ... iMessage doesn't work across platform unless they are also on iOS on the other end.

Always have a backup plan, choice of Apps to use, in case the main/preferred one, i.e. iMessage is down, for whatever reasons. Facetime Messengers typically work on NCL ships, also worked using Skype, Duo/Google Voice & Hangouts. The social media plan's package does not support audio and/or video streaming, but it and the mini (non-premium) plans do support the above apps.

I also use Ooma's VoIP app, which works over the basic WiFi satellite data (i.e. the 250 minutes/MB "mini" plan, that some chose to select as their "Free At Sea" option(s))

Just beware that ship's DHCP server could be configured to timed out & drop inactive connections/nodes not in use. A delay in the message being send/received is possible.

39373de5239ee77a5b458d9d19df6dff.jpg

Edited by mking8288
Hi

I'm on board the Breakaway now, using the social package. I've found that many of my apps, not just FB, IG, Snapchat, etc, work with the package. I can't check my gmail or open a browser window, but have been successful accessing other sites that have an app. They are having some satellite issues today, but until that, it has been very reliable service.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
On 9/30/2018 at 2:17 PM, maryinFL said:

I'm on board the Breakaway now, using the social package. I've found that many of my apps, not just FB, IG, Snapchat, etc, work with the package. I can't check my gmail or open a browser window, but have been successful accessing other sites that have an app. They are having some satellite issues today, but until that, it has been very reliable service.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing this!  Do you remember which apps you used?  I tried to call NCL customer service and they were ZERO help at all 😞

13 minutes ago, Bitten10 said:

Thanks for sharing this!  Do you remember which apps you used?  I tried to call NCL customer service and they were ZERO help at all 😞

FB, Instagram, Snapchat, Google Voice (I think), my banking app (I know it isn't advised), some of my credit card apps, airline check-in,.  I'm sure there were others, I just can't remember which ones.

6 minutes ago, maryinFL said:

FB, Instagram, Snapchat, Google Voice (I think), my banking app (I know it isn't advised), some of my credit card apps, airline check-in,.  I'm sure there were others, I just can't remember which ones.

Thank you, thank you!  Super helpful 🙂

16 hours ago, Bitten10 said:

I use Whatsapp and I am able to make phones calls and message on it (as long as the person I am contacting has the app as well). I also use Snapchat. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, CCKenney said:

When using the package do you keep your phone in airplane mode? Or how do you prevent getting charges from your phone service?

For a phone novice, leave your phone in airplane mode from the minute you board to the minute you disembark a week later. Turn on your Wi-Fi to use the social media package. 

For those that have upgraded from the 250 minute perk to unlimited wifi:

I can upgrade right now for my 1/19 sailing on Encore for $84.93.

I read somewhere (I can't seem to find it now) that if I wait until the morning after we embark, I can upgrade for less.

Does anyone here know what that price would be?

I'm not 100% sure I want to upgrade. I love to be mostly disconnected for the week, but my 19 yo daughter would probably like to have it and I always try to make her happy!

She was actually ok with the 250 minutes on our last cruise but she had her 2 cousins with her too. 

This time it's just me and her mother plus my wifes aunt and uncle.

TIA

59 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

For those that have upgraded from the 250 minute perk to unlimited wifi:

I can upgrade right now for my 1/19 sailing on Encore for $84.93.

... if I wait until the morning after we embark, I can upgrade for less.... not 100% sure I want to upgrade. I love to be mostly disconnected for the week, but my 19 yo daughter ... was actually ok with the 250 minutes on our last cruise but ...

I did this last month on the Gem - prices should be same across the fleet (AFAIK) but subject to change w/o advance notice.  If you wait until Day 2 to purchase / upgrade onboard, it is easy DIY upon logging in - do NOT use any of the free 250 minutes on Day 1, however as that will invalidate the option.  (It's embarkation day, dinner after sailaway & heading out to sea ... just stay offline to save $29.99)  If you have any other free minutes, use up those (P+ get 60 minutes p/p and Platinum get 30 minutes on a 7 days cruise)  *** Actually, if she is a night owl - upgrade after 00:01 ship time (overnight) and the savings for being charged at 6 days worked for us (on a 8 nighters)

Calculations should be like this -

$29.99 x 7 days = $209.93 less $125 upgrade charge = $84.93 now

$29.99 x 6 days = $179.94 less $125 upgrade charge = $54.94 if done onboard doing on the "next day" as in 00.01 ship time (considered Day 2)

We had non-refundable OBC which can't be use in advance for the upgrade, doing it onboard - offset the $54.94 charge against our onboard account.  

We've managed to stay online - sometimes - on a 14 nights Caribbean cruise with just under 400 combined free minutes, it's doable.  On port days, we made good use of "roaming" cellular towers' fast 4G/HSPA+ and LTE signals - DW and I only "spend" an extra $20 only for 2GB worth of roaming data ... loved Google Fi's coverage in 200+ countries.  

Oh, somewhat related - WiFi calling onboard via satellite is BLOCKED by NCL nowadays unless you are on the "premium" Unlimited plan with streaming - Skype audio calling, however, should continue to work. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

I did this last month on the Gem - prices should be same across the fleet (AFAIK) but subject to change w/o advance notice.  If you wait until Day 2 to purchase / upgrade onboard, it is easy DIY upon logging in - do NOT use any of the free 250 minutes on Day 1, however as that will invalidate the option.  (It's embarkation day, dinner after sailaway & heading out to sea ... just stay offline to save $29.99)  If you have any other free minutes, use up those (P+ get 60 minutes p/p and Platinum get 30 minutes on a 7 days cruise)  *** Actually, if she is a night owl - upgrade after 00:01 ship time (overnight) and the savings for being charged at 6 days worked for us (on a 8 nighters)

Calculations should be like this -

$29.99 x 7 days = $209.93 less $125 upgrade charge = $84.93 now

$29.99 x 6 days = $179.94 less $125 upgrade charge = $54.94 if done onboard doing on the "next day" as in 00.01 ship time (considered Day 2)

We had non-refundable OBC which can't be use in advance for the upgrade, doing it onboard - offset the $54.94 charge against our onboard account.  

We've managed to stay online - sometimes - on a 14 nights Caribbean cruise with just under 400 combined free minutes, it's doable.  On port days, we made good use of "roaming" cellular towers' fast 4G/HSPA+ and LTE signals - DW and I only "spend" an extra $20 only for 2GB worth of roaming data ... loved Google Fi's coverage in 200+ countries.  

Oh, somewhat related - WiFi calling onboard via satellite is BLOCKED by NCL nowadays unless you are on the "premium" Unlimited plan with streaming - Skype audio calling, however, should continue to work. 

Thanks for all the detail.

So worth waiting till 2nd day.

I believe it may have been you that posted this elsewhere that I saw it.

Either way, thanks again. $55 may be too good to pass up although my wife hates to pay for extras. Lmao!!

Thanks again!

• Haha 1