Guarantee Suite, How close assignment to sailing

bspill

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

I agree with what frantic36 says.   I would never even consider discussing price with another passenger as I might be disappointed that they got a better price.  At the same time, I would not book a cruise unless I was willing to pay the stated price for the itinerary that I booked.

This!

You and frantic36 both hit it on the nose.  (And also worth noting that not all travel/ex-travel people have access to amazing discounted fares... but also that not all of those who happen to have access are travel/ex-travel people.  I would never assume that just because someone had travel connections that they were traveling discounted.)

We pay what it is worth to us for any given sailing... my threshold per day has been anywhere from $200-$800 a day (averaging around $450) depending on the itinerary.   Sometimes we plan very far in advance (12 months or more), sometimes at the last minute (as little as 2-3 weeks out).  The prices are often much better at the last minute but finding business/first class airfare becomes a problem.

i am happy to have first-world problems.

Here we are 13 days to go and no assignment as of yet. We haven't done a Guarantee for a while and I'd forgotten how twitchy one can get waiting for the result. It is a bit like the lottery , though you know you are going to win something - but it could be a tin of beans or a crate of champagne.

We set off in four days, and it would be nice to know before we start travelling, though of course I can keep tabs with the ipad while sitting in various airports and hotels on the way to NZ.

Did an availability check shortly before the cruise showed sold out and there were 89 suites up for grabs, including both Wintergardens, an Owners , a couple of Signatures and several PHs.... one can but dream. On the other hand there were a lot of V1s available, and a few too many adjoining cabins to feel totally relaxed about the process.

In fact would be happiest with a V2 on Deck 5 - my favourite deck and we both like the part metal rail set up.

We have had the customary upsell to a PH email, asking c. $ 2,455 p.p. (:classic_rolleyes: declined).

Flamin_June, have a great trip and I will keep my fingers and toes crossed you get a great cabin. Take care of Sojourn for us as it is just over a month before we sail. 

By the way I loved your photos you posted in your Ring of Fire blog. I visited a few of those ports in 2012 on Pride and it brought back some fond memories.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, Flamin_June said:

Here we are 13 days to go and no assignment as of yet. We haven't done a Guarantee for a while and I'd forgotten how twitchy one can get waiting for the result. It is a bit like the lottery , though you know you are going to win something - but it could be a tin of beans or a crate of champagne.

We set off in four days, and it would be nice to know before we start travelling, though of course I can keep tabs with the ipad while sitting in various airports and hotels on the way to NZ.

Did an availability check shortly before the cruise showed sold out and there were 89 suites up for grabs, including both Wintergardens, an Owners , a couple of Signatures and several PHs.... one can but dream. On the other hand there were a lot of V1s available, and a few too many adjoining cabins to feel totally relaxed about the process.

In fact would be happiest with a V2 on Deck 5 - my favourite deck and we both like the part metal rail set up.

We have had the customary upsell to a PH email, asking c. $ 2,455 p.p. (:classic_rolleyes: declined).

We must be on same cruise 22 days Auckland to Sydney.  We chose the guarantee and also have no room yet.

Thank you both. Now closer to 70 than to 60

Assignment came through today - a V6 on Deck 7. Not under the patio grill and not an adjoining suit, convenient location  We travel down to H/row tomorrow, knowing our fate. Only thing left to do is travel halfway round the world.

Thanks to one and all and safe travels to you all too.

12.5 hours to Singapore, a few days there to get over that and let the body-clocks adjust, and then 9.5 hours to Auckland and a few days there. It will be great to get back on Sojourn - we had such an enjoyable cruise on her 6 months ago - despite the buckled deck - crew, passengers, weather, locations, all in harmony. I do hope some of the same crew will be back on.

We are long time Seabourn cruisers with over 140 days.  We always book OB GTY and are always happy with the room we are assigned except for one time.  Having had every category from V3 to V6, we were assigned a V2 (deck 5 mid-ship) on a Montreal to FLL cruise. We thought we were "in the basement".

With that said, it turned out to be the BEST cabin on that cruise.  The weather from Montreal to NYC was awful with gal force winds and the worst seas we've ever seen.  We woke up "docked" in Quebec City but the ship was bouncing around like we were still at sea.  Turns out, deck 5 mid-ship is the center-center of the ship and our room was the smoothest and quietest place to be in rough weather.  The minor rocking and rolling in our cabin was nothing compared to the beating the officers were taking up on the bride.

Almost every cabin is the same on Seabourn.  We like that and at the end of the day, we're still on Seabourn which is as good as it gets.

23 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

We are long time Seabourn cruisers with over 140 days.  We always book OB GTY and are always happy with the room we are assigned except for one time.  Having had every category from V3 to V6, we were assigned a V2 (deck 5 mid-ship) on a Montreal to FLL cruise. We thought we were "in the basement".

With that said, it turned out to be the BEST cabin on that cruise.  The weather from Montreal to NYC was awful with gal force winds and the worst seas we've ever seen.  We woke up "docked" in Quebec City but the ship was bouncing around like we were still at sea.  Turns out, deck 5 mid-ship is the center-center of the ship and our room was the smoothest and quietest place to be in rough weather.  The minor rocking and rolling in our cabin was nothing compared to the beating the officers were taking up on the bride.

Almost every cabin is the same on Seabourn.  We like that and at the end of the day, we're still on Seabourn which is as good as it gets.

Was that the 2016 cruise? 

7 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

Pretty sure it was

We missed Bar Harbor and Salem due to the storm and went to Boston instead. If the same cruise,  yes it was horrible. I was on deck 8 ! Didn't leave the suite all day until we got into Boston in the evening and went through US immigration on board. 

On 10/17/2018 at 5:18 PM, kkmiausa said:

On 10/17/2018 at 6:13 PM, kkmiausa said:

GREAT!!  Have found that not many Seabourners participate in these things but lets give it a go!  Looks like we have some pretty cold weather in Canada. Can't wait to get out of Miami.

If you haven't done this cruise before, the overnight in Quebec City is the best port.  Quebec City is like being in Europe.  We've done this cruise 2 times. 

We finally dropped below 70 here in Florida today 😉

Yes that was DEFINITELY THE ONE!  Missed Halifax, Bar Harbor and Salem  all 3. And when we got near Boston something happened with stabilizers and everything went flying - including the observation bar and all the wines in storage.

1 hour ago, kkmiausa said:

Yes that was DEFINITELY THE ONE!  Missed Halifax, Bar Harbor and Salem  all 3. And when we got near Boston something happened with stabilizers and everything went flying - including the observation bar and all the wines in storage.

Hi, I remember that! The issue when we were close to Boston was -quote from Captain Dag - "an uncharted sand bar" " I was just getting ready for dinner, and everything in the bathroom went flying !  What an experience that day was. 

Quite memorable, he is the only captain I will probably never lose memory of his name :) Wonder if he is still with Seabourn?

Well I am up for a new experience. Taking my son (31) and his girlfriend on the new Celebrity Edge for a short cruise in Eastern Caribbean  in January. Haven't been on a ship that large in 10 years, but at least it is more like 3000 and not 8000 like some of the new ones. Just finished "booking"

premium dining venues :)  That's something I am totally not used to. I will miss Seabourn.  

Captain Dag is currently a Captain on Holland America Prinsendam - I believe their oldest and  smallest ship.  I was quite surprised when he did not stay long with Seabourn, maybe he will be back sometime.  We first met him in the 1990's, as Captain of the much loved little Song of Flower, so he must be around 60 now.

• Like 1