Tips on packing? Early October Greek cruise: RCL

Truluv

I have wanted to go to Greece since I was a teenager (yes, my book shelves even have books on Greece LOL).  There always seemed to be other things that were more important...saving for down payments...those 7-8-day family vacations... spending on kids and saving for college educations....then my spouse's long-term, degenerative terminal illness.  Everyone has bucket lists, so you know what I'm talking about.  I'm now newly retired and a widow.  One of my kids has offered to use his vacation time to accompany me on a bucket list cruise to the Greek islands next year.  We've booked a 9-day RCL cruise that includes Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes and Athens, which were at the top of my list.  I will start reading the entire forum.   Getting to my question:  can anyone provide some packing tips for Greece, if anything differs from a typical Caribbean cruise packing list?  Any particular clothing tips for Greece?  I do want to visit Greek Orthodox churches (I'm Orthodox) and know the clothing protocols there, but are there any other special clothing protocols to consider for Greece?   For ex., when I traveled once to Ireland for work a few years ago, we were told that white sneakers had become an American joke.  Thank you for any tips, and your time in responding.

Edited by Truluv
corrected typo

Whether wearing white tennis shoes or not, people are going to know you are not Greek just by looking at you...clothes are a different cut or style...tee shirts (if you wear them)with different logos. There are many hints, and you probably can do the same with tourists in the US.

Of course speaking English would be revealing...but we have been accused of being British (by Aussies) and being Aussies (by Brits).

Don't over think this. Just enjoy Greece.

Thanks Bruce.  I was wondering about whether secure carriers for passports/money were going to be necessary, shoe guidance, if formal wear tends to be less necessary, any camera restrictions, and things of that nature although your advice is really helpful & sensible too.    

Your ideas for church visits are sound. If you are planning for fancy meals, dressier clothes might be required. We don't travel in that mindset, but you might. 

We carry the pouches that can be hidden under our clothes, and use them occasionally. But generally when touring in crowded areas, we have left the bulk of our valuables in our hotel, and frequently have button pockets. We did a 3 week trip in Austria and Germany in May/June. The only time we had our pouches on was taking the train from the Munich airport into town.

We use our cell phones for most pictures taking. You may find a few particular sites that don't want pictures taken. There is usually good signage. I don't think there will be many. 

Overall, I feel very safe in Greece.   I always wear a money belt then I have no worries.  There can be a lot of cobblestones,  so sandals need to be more supportive like Eccos.  Capris will take you most everywhere with perhaps a sweater for evening.  We have visited in October and had very pleasant beach weather.   I usually take a casual dress as well.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Knees should be fully covered in Orthodox churches.

If using public transportation or in crowded, touristy places (like the Plaka), you should definitely guard against pickpockets. Do not carry money or valuables in outside pockets; if carrying a purse or backpack, hold it in front of you especially on the metro.

Regarding photography, you can take photos in most places but do look for signs (or ask first) in churches. Many museums allow photos but only without flash. 

• Like 1

Phabric - skirt is fine.  Only open question is whether head should be covered.  Really traditional churches would prefer a hed covering for women.  I suspect that this is no longer essential, but don't know if  US churches are more moderinzed.  I plan on bringing a light scarf  that I can whip out and use if desired.  

• 3 months later...

I dress a little nicer in Europe, skirts capris slacks, rather than shorts.  Nice t-shirts or blouses.  I also throw a "pashmina" type shawl in my day pack, just in case.  Good walking shoes are essential, and if that means white tennis shoes, don't worry about it!  Whatever you wear in a church, would be fine for anything else.  I usually take a "fancy" necklace for evening dinners where I want to look a little nicer.

We use a money belt for cash and credit cards, and have a small backpack for water, camera, tour books, pashmina, sweater if we think it will be chilly.

But mostly, be clean and polite and have a fabulous trip!