Emerald Princess - voyage redeployment - April 11, 2019

Safety Squirrel

Just received an e-mail from Princess that the 22 day Emerald Princess cruise through the new Panama Canal departing departing Vancouver, B.C. on April 11th, 2019 to Fort Lauderdale (May 3, 2019) has been changed to a 18 day cruise, departing April 15th from San Francisco due to refurbishment taking longer.  We no longer visit the ports of Victoria, B.C. and Astoria, Oregon.

I had booked my hotel through Princess for two nights in Vancouver although I had booked my flight to Vancouver privately.  Any thoughts on this?  The e-mail said that Princess would cover change fees, which I also assume means my hotel bookings.

Looking at Princess schedules -- there is a full transit Panama Cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver, B,C,, also leaving in April, 2019.  The ship is the Island Princess.  Ship goes through the old locks.  Similar Ports. I know that people say that going through the old locks is much better.  As the Island Princess is an older ship -- any thoughts from those who have done the full Panama canal on Island Princess.

I had booked the cruise as it left from Vancouver and would not have to change flights from Winnipeg. The Island Princess would just be the reverse.

Any comments would be appreciated.  Thank you.

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What fees would the hotel charge that far out?

hotels bookings is very similar to cruise lines bookings. some fares have a non refundable deposit and/or some kind of cancellation fee

2 minutes ago, shof515 said:

hotels bookings is very similar to cruise lines bookings. some fares have a non refundable deposit and/or some kind of cancellation fee

I get that however....

These are few and far between with all the hotel booking competition out there.

We have found the majority of either hotel sites or hotel booking engines to offer free refunds up to 24 hours prior pretty common.

Just received e-mail -- Cruise departs Vancouver on April 15th instead of April 11th.  Two sea days followed by a short stop in L.A. (8:00 - 4:00) - no stops in Astoria, Oregon; San Francisco or Santa Barbara.  Two more sea days to Mexico.

To make matters worse -- they have now changed the exchange rate (higher).  This affects the cruise fare and the soda package that I had prepaid for.   Shows no excursion reservations.  Thankfully I have printed out copy showing that I paid for the excursions and will contact credit card if required.

Stateroom is now guaranteed B2 and not my original assigned cabin.

Of course, since Princess has retained the original departure from Vancouver, changing only the date -- the terms of the passenger contract takes precedence as they have dropped three ports.

Certainly not a happy camper.  Just returned to Princess after sailing Celebrity as I liked the itinerary.  Will certainly be telephoning tomorrow.

Astoria can be "iffy" anyway. The only time we were supposed to port there the ship had to bypass the port due to high water flow from the river.

I would rather do the old locks (if you haven't done them before) but would rather sail on Emerald than Island. (Coral is the ship you really want for the old locks.)

Edited by Thrak

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, Essiesmom said:

I would think that the hotel being booked through Princess that there shouldn't be any cancellation/change fees.  EM

Princess cancelled the hotel as I booked through them.  Excursions, beverage package & water were refunded to my credit card yesterday.

Have booked another cruise - September 2019 through the old locks on the Island Princess (not offered on the Coral).  The only change is not stopping in Victoria, BC but I have been there several times, so does not really impact me. Reading some negative and positive remarks on CC about Island Princess - however, will take my chances.  The one thing I am sad about is the Island Princess does not have the International Cafe.  I had been making a list of things 'not to miss" at the IC from quotes on CC and guess I will have to book another cruise on another ship to enjoy the IC.