Miami Pre Cruise Hotel

sh2738

Hi all. 

I will cruising out of Miami in an upcoming cruise with my sister and I am looking for some recommendations for some really nice hotels. We just need it for the one night. We are both not familiar at all with Miami as we haven’t really ever been there. 

I will be using miles for the hotel, so price point is pretty open. I am celebrating a big birthday so I would like to stay in a pretty nice place. As two young women traveling alone, our biggest concern is getting someplace in a safe area that is fine to walk around at night when getting to and from dinner. 

Our ideal place would be a very nice place, expensive is alright if it’s worth it, in a really safe area especially at night, and a must would be very close to restaurants for dinner and breakfast as we won’t be renting a car. Would be super great is public non bus transport was close by, but not a requirement. 

Any recommendations that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Four Seasons is a great hotel in a nice area.

You will be within a five to ten minute walk of lots of restaurants located at Mary Brickell Village and Brickell Centre.

The location of the hotel is in a quiet area of Miami and a safe area.

There are lots of other options but if you can use your points there this would be my first choice based on what you have said.

Keith

I would look in the Brickell area. Four Seasons is the nicest hotel in the area. There is also the W and while not exactly luxury the location of EAST is fantastic and I have a feeling you would enjoy that hotel a lot. Not sure what points/miles they take though. 

Another great hotel is the JW Marriott Marquis on the Downtown side but very easy and close to cross the bridge to Brickell. Also there is the Intercontinental Miami. 

All of these are in good areas, but I think you would enjoy being on the Brickell side more. 

Don't forget the Mandarin Oriental on Brickell Key either, it's a gorgeous hotel. 

Four Seasons or the Mandarin would be my personal choice.  I've personally stayed  at both and spend quite a bit of time there and they are both fantastic hotels. 

4 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Don't forget the Mandarin Oriental on Brickell Key either, it's a gorgeous hotel. 

Four Seasons or the Mandarin would be my personal choice.  I've personally stayed  at both and spend quite a bit of time there and they are both fantastic hotels. 

Are either of those really close to a non bus public transportation, like metro or train/tram? Or have a shuttle from the airport?

thanks. 

3 minutes ago, sh2738 said:

Are either of those really close to a non bus public transportation, like metro or train/tram? Or have a shuttle from the airport?

thanks. 

The Four Seasons is actually almost across the street from the Brickell/Financial stop of the metro mover.  It's actually the last stop of the Brickell metro mover line.  The free trolley also stops here. 

The Mandarin Oriental is a short walk to a metomover stop or the free trolley actually goes right onto Brickell Key.  

As far as the train is concerned, the metro rail stop is in Brickell and you can walk to both hotels, though it is a bit of a walk.  

Neither hotel offers a free hotel shuttle from the airport.  I would honestly take an Uber to either, the cost should run about $18.  

4 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

The Four Seasons is actually almost across the street from the Brickell/Financial stop of the metro mover.  It's actually the last stop of the Brickell metro mover line.  The free trolley also stops here. 

The Mandarin Oriental is a short walk to a metomover stop or the free trolley actually goes right onto Brickell Key.  

As far as the train is concerned, the metro rail stop is in Brickell and you can walk to both hotels, though it is a bit of a walk.  

Neither hotel offers a free hotel shuttle from the airport.  I would honestly take an Uber to either, the cost should run about $18.  

Thanks for the info on the mover for Four Seasons. Do either the mover or train or anything leave the airport and come down there?

since my sister and I are traveling alone, I would prefer not to use Uber or the like as I am always iffy about using those when traveling alone especially in a new city. 

Thanks for the help. 

Yes, you can take the tram to the train to brickell. Then the metromover. 

There are also also plenty of taxis if you prefer. 

I do take uber alone as a women in Miami but can understand how you feel in regards to that. 

Taking a taxi would be much quickler and easier than the trains 

3 minutes ago, mlrdking1 said:

I just checked rates for these hotels. $550-$650 a night. 

I can't see paying more for a one night stay than I spent for a 7 day cruise.

Looking for a MUCH cheaper hotel.

Yes if I wasn’t using points to get a hotel and was paying for it myself, I wouldn’t do these either. Much too expensive to pay for myself. Although Miami does look to be pretty pricey anyways. Would probably still be paying at least $200 and up for a nice hotel room. But that’s why I’m going to use points. 

20 minutes ago, mlrdking1 said:

I just checked rates for these hotels. $550-$650 a night. 

I can't see paying more for a one night stay than I spent for a 7 day cruise.

Looking for a MUCH cheaper hotel.

When do you cruise?  The $300+ room during peak tourist season (about Jan-Easter) will go for $100 or less in the humidity of August.  There are cheaper hotels in downtown, including the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell.  If you are arriving late and just want dinner and a bed check out hotels in the Blue Lagoon area (Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn and others) near MIA airport.

I'm staying at the Hilton Miami Airport Blue Lagoon for my cruise.  Not sure if you can use points toward it, but they have a 'Sail Away Pre Cruise" package.

It includes:

Transportation from the Miami Airport to the hotel

One-way transportation to the Port of Miami

Complimentary Breakfast for two adults

Details can be found here.

Personally, I didn't book the package.  As a solo traveler, didn't add up.  I booked under a different rate.  I chose this hotel because it has an actual dining room that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner; has a complimentary airport shuttle; and a cruise port shuttle that isn't much more than lyft/uber.

My mom and I stayed two nights last February at the Four Seasons. We took Uber from airport (Im 51 and my mom is 72). 

We walked down a block and across the street the first evening for dinner and felt very safe (although I do live in one of New Yorks five boroughs). The second evening we ate dinner at the hotel restaurant, which was very good. 

We spent both days hanging at the pool and ate our lunches at the pool. 

Although we are staying two nights this February at the Epic, I would book the Four Seasons again without any hesitation. 

Let us know where you decide.