Ship to Replace Anthem in Bayonne

16 minutes ago, piescruises said:

By the way not every ship in alaska has an indoor pool. the ruby princess which I went on (not an alaska) doesn’t have an indoor pool, which the star I did go on did and I enjoyed it in the cold weather. Princess deeemed it not a necessity.

Those other ships also have less than half the passengers that Oasis does and would need to accommodate them in indoor venues.  Works on other ships but it’s not great on Iasis class.

Just now, piescruises said:

They might still be able use central park when it’s cold for snowy events like in the city being magical. 

It doesn’t snow May-September and rarely in October.  Y’all are acting like Oasis would be in Bayonne all year!  May, late September and October may have some chilly days up north but nothing that would keep people stricken indoors.  June-MidSeptember there would be no issues.  Anthem is coming back in November 2020 to do the winter sailings.  Calm down with this cold weather stuff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, piescruises said:

They might still be able use central park when it’s cold for snowy events like in the city being magical. 

Except that it would kill all the tropical vegation in Central Park.  Losing $0.5M to a cold snap is a money losing proposition.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, piescruises said:

If you can get access to anthem’s leaked itinerary why can’t you get access to Indy’s, she going to bayonne?

I don’t want to fill this thread with info on Independence since this thread talks about what is replacing Anthem.  Independence will also be in Southampton for the summer of 2020 (May-October) and will return to Fort Lauderdale in November.  The ships itinerary can be found on a different thread.

A number of posts have addressed concerns that many destinations available to the Anthem would not be accessible to Oasis.  Except for the height problem in getting under bridges, Oasis is only 40 feet longer than the Anthem and its draft is 30 feet opposed to Anthem's 29 feet.  The big difference is in the width of the Oasis and in most ports, the width, within reason, is not a factor.

7 hours ago, Sunfun68 said:

A number of posts have addressed concerns that many destinations available to the Anthem would not be accessible to Oasis.  Except for the height problem in getting under bridges, Oasis is only 40 feet longer than the Anthem and its draft is 30 feet opposed to Anthem's 29 feet.  The big difference is in the width of the Oasis and in most ports, the width, within reason, is not a factor.

Yes, No Bar Harbor, Maine or Newport, Rhode Island because oasis-class don’t tender no stopping there

14 hours ago, piescruises said:

the only real problem is the boardwalk.

Imagine approaching the N.Y. Harbor and there is a Nor-Easter affecting the weather so that the ship is in a snow storm for 3 or 4 hours before it docks.  Then from 7-8 in the morning the storm continues maybe an inch or 2 an hour falling steadily for at least 12 more hours and temperatures in the teens or lower till the ship is once again out in better weather.  

I can just see ship's crew with snow blowers, shovels and whatever they have on board to clear a foot or 2  pf blowing snow from the Boardwalk and Central Park.   LOL

We were on the first Silhouette sailing out of Cape Liberty. The poorly thought out Lawn was covered in plastic sheeting for the first 2 days and the entire venue was useless for  those 3 or so total days sailing to and from the Caribbean.  

Great cruise however it pointed out that there is a difference in ships and the weather they will be experiencing, (hard to believe this was NOT known to Celebrity at the time???)

9 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Imagine approaching the N.Y. Harbor and there is a Nor-Easter affecting the weather so that the ship is in a snow storm for 3 or 4 hours before it docks. 

It would be a seasonal port.  New York does not get snow late April through early October.  And it is rare to get snow in late October.  If Oasis is only in Bayonne seasonally, you wouldn’t have to worry about snow.  Oasis can avoid the Canada/New England sailings by doing Bahamas/Caribbean while Adventure (and a 3rd ship in the north east) does those itineraries.  Snow won’t be an issue for a seasonal sailing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, piescruises said:

maybe with Connecticut government funding.

And maybe if the long-sought tunnel under the Long Island sound is built to get people to Stamford from Long Island. I-95 is already a disaster on the best of days, especially in the summer. Not to mention, I don't think your neighbors in Greenwich, CT will appreciate the extra traffic.

I don't see it ever happening. Where would the terminal be located? The coast line is already lined with parks and private communities and the remaining abandoned industrial sites are being converted to high-end luxury condos.  And the Eco-system in the western LI sound is already fragile so  it take decades to pass environmental reviews and challenges from the various Not-In-My-BackYard groups.

But I can appreciate your enthusiasm of having a cruise ship a short Uber ride from your home :classic_smile:

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

And maybe if the long-sought tunnel under the Long Island sound is built to get people to Stamford from Long Island. I-95 is already a disaster on the best of days, especially in the summer. Not to mention, I don't think your neighbors in Greenwich, CT will appreciate the extra traffic.

I don't see it ever happening. Where would the terminal be located? The coast line is already lined with parks and private communities and the remaining abandoned industrial sites are being converted to high-end luxury condos.  And the Eco-system in the western LI sound is already fragile so  it take decades to pass environmental reviews and challenges from the various Not-In-My-BackYard groups.

But I can appreciate your enthusiasm of having a cruise ship a short Uber ride from your home :classic_smile:

Fort Lauderdale has condos similar to stamford and putting this in stamford rather than greenwich is better for many reasons: traffic, pollution, transportation people in stamford probably would more ok. not in my backyard middle the 3 miles from your backyard. How do the beaches in fort lauderdale stay clean with 5 cruise ships.  

Edited by piescruises

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

The terminal would be located on the strip of land that just out off bateman way in stamford where they used to have boat yard.

6 minutes ago, piescruises said:

The terminal would be located on the strip of land that just out off bateman way in stamford where they used to have boat yard.

the tunnel is a multi-state agreement and it would ruin where ever it was placed by putting huge volumes. the landscape is just not shaped like the chesapeake bay causeway-bridge.