Ship to Replace Anthem in Bayonne

Well lucky for me the ship is the destination so Oasis from NJ where I live is going to work out perfectly. We will be booking something on Oasis from NJ, not might, not we have to think about or look for the perfect itinerary but WE WILL be booking Oasis from NJ. Looking at a Central Park balcony or Promenade room. We had a promenade room on Explorer and loved being right in the heart of the ship. I am still WAY beyond excited Oasis is coming here. I hope RCI makes this a yearly thing.

20 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Here is my wild guess:

Five night cruises require offsetting nine night cruises.  Week-long cruises roll on smoothly, one after the other.

Nine night cruises are a harder sell to the family crowd because of work schedules.

Seven night cruises sell well.

RC will rake in the big bucks in the summer of 2020.

Gypsy_Fortune_Teller-300x199.jpg

I agree.  These 7 night cruises will attract their target audience, young families with some excess cash.

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sounds like a unicorn flowrider on those two days

Not during the summer months but a big yes to September when school is in.  But beware of the Oasis cruise diverted due to a hurricane with exotic tender ports like Halifax. Flowriding lines could be even shorter but depending on the weather everyone might be wrapped enough to look like the Michelin Man.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Not during the summer months but a big yes to September when school is in.  But beware of the Oasis cruise diverted due to a hurricane with exotic tender ports like Halifax. Flowriding lines could be even shorter but depending on the weather everyone might be wrapped enough to look like the Michelin Man.

Love Halifax and Canada so I should be so lucky. :classic_biggrin:

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Oasis actually has Halifax on two of its itineraries and it will be docked, not tendering.  Those are the only itineraries we are actually looking at for Oasis out of Bayonne.  I do understand what you are saying though.😃

19 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Love Halifax and Canada so I should be so lucky. :classic_biggrin:

Being Canadian I thought I’d take the easy shot, maybe should have said New Foundland. Didn’t want to pick on any US port such as Boston etc...

16 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Oasis actually has Halifax on two of its itineraries and it will be docked, not tendering.  Those are the only itineraries we are actually looking at for Oasis out of Bayonne.  I do understand what you are saying though.😃

LOL, I randomly chose Halifax but am happy you got my jest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Doubtful it would be open the first/last day on most winter sailings.

I've seen people with wetsuits on the flowfider when it's cold out.  I live on the beach at the Jersey Shore and there are people surfing all year long.

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yep, and I do that as well, it helped on the Navigator TA, but like the staff, once it gets down into the 50s, it's time to call it a day.

On the Grandeur last month. Winter coats on .....freezing....yet the lifeguard had to stand there for hours on end even though there were no people. 

F5A468CD-B6F0-40D8-A3C9-7AA3EF83938E.jpeg

On 12/14/2018 at 2:38 PM, Robo1098 said:

Sorry, I know as I live in Florida I am biased but I don't see the sense in bringing Oasis up north. So many open areas that won't be usable when it cools off. I know that is why they are limiting the months up there but when I saw the move I was hoping that at least they would sail to Bermuda. The ports it is going to go are the least appealing of all for me. Just personal opinion.

I know I've made a few jokes about ice sculptures and ice bars in Central Park and the need for turbo-charged jet-powered snow blowers to throw the snow over 8 decks. But in reality, Oasis will be just fine with the sailing dates. Sure, maybe on the first and last cruise of the season, there may be a day or two where the zip line or flow-rider is not available but she will be able to get into warmer climates pretty quickly.  All the rest of the sailing dates, there weather will be comfortable enough.

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

Well lucky for me the ship is the destination so Oasis from NJ where I live is going to work out perfectly. We will be booking something on Oasis from NJ, not might, not we have to think about or look for the perfect itinerary but WE WILL be booking Oasis from NJ. Looking at a Central Park balcony or Promenade room. We had a promenade room on Explorer and loved being right in the heart of the ship. I am still WAY beyond excited Oasis is coming here. I hope RCI makes this a yearly thing.

I have no doubt the ship will be packed.  If the ships sells well at a price that RCI is happy with, I expect it to be there on a yearly basis.

You'll love the ship. You might want to think about a b2b if you can pull it off. There is no way to see/do everything on one cruise.

16 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

This is a quote from an expert:

In 1999, with the launch of Voyager of the Seas – then the largest cruise ship in the world – RCL has also cut a substantial chunk out of its ships’ operating costs by using a massive propulsion device trade-named the Azipod.

Produced by Swedish-Swiss engineering concern ABB, the Azipod is a fixed-pitch propeller mounted on a gondola or pod that can be turned in a complete circle – enabling the ship to turn 360 degrees without moving forward or back. The pod contains the electric motor that drives the propeller. Because it can turn to any point of the compass, the need for a rudder is eliminated.

„The pod improves efficiency, and it improves the maneuverability significantly,” says Capt. Patrik Dahlgren, vice president of marine operations for Celebrity Cruises’ and fleet optimization for all RCL brands. “When you build really large cruise ships like when we started with the Voyager class, there were two Azipods and one fixipod,” which provides thrust but doesn’t rotate.

The fixipod was left off of subsequent newbuilds, and the Azipods continued to be mounted in pairs, with the redundancy providing backup propulsion if one fails.

An addendum to the information from the expert - "...subsequent newbuilds, Azipods continued to be mounted in pairs.." should have continued  "...as in the Quantum class of ships.  However, the Oasis class of ships has been outfitted with three azipods, all three of which are able to rotate 360 degrees".

10 minutes ago, Sunfun68 said:

An addendum to the information from the expert - "...subsequent newbuilds, Azipods continued to be mounted in pairs.." should have continued  "...as in the Quantum class of ships.  However, the Oasis class of ships has been outfitted with three azipods, all three of which are able to rotate 360 degrees".

Wikipedia? Expert?

18 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Wikipedia? Expert?

Darned if I know.  I received this from Saab4444 and he said it was from "an expert".  Rather than question Saab4444 about the veracity of his expert, I merely added additional information to make his information more informative.

6 hours ago, Sunfun68 said:

I thought Captain Dahlgren is expert enough for those of you who still know him but maybe not for all these technical masterminds here on Cruisecritic. And next class built after Voyager was Radiance class not Quantum. This thread should go back to topic: Oasis remains too big for Bermuda which is currently absolutely true even if she would have 8 Azipods....

I was on Anthem Nov 22 and at a meet & greet the Captain told us the name of the  new ship he believed would replace Anthem.

I forgot the name. He said it wasn't official yet.

I also recall the Capt saying when going through the upcoming dry dock, the ship's funnels, which can retract now manually (with some effort), could be modified to retract mechanically. 

Edited by bpowers

20 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

I thought Captain Dahlgren is expert enough for those of you who still know him but maybe not for all these technical masterminds here on Cruisecritic. And next class built after Voyager was Radiance class not Quantum. This thread should go back to topic: Oasis remains too big for Bermuda which is currently absolutely true even if she would have 8 Azipods....

It really doesn't matter what the sequence was of ship class build, does it?  Quantum and Radiance class have two azipods and Oasis class has three.  If Bermuda increases as a revenue producer, I predict there will be Oasis class ships calling there in a decade or less, without re-dredging the channel or lengthening the Heritage wharf.  Why?  B/C the game is making money and the Oasis is perfectly capable of maneuvering through the newly dredged channel and docking at the Heritage wharf despite the slightly larger length and width of the Oasis compared to the Anthem.  The only thing I have seen in all these threads that MIGHT limit the Oasis would be IF the pilings would need to be strengthened due to the significantly increased mass of the Oasis and, if the smell of money becomes strong enough, this too will come to pass.

Edited by Sunfun68
punctuation correction
  • Like 1