Panama Sunfarer Ports: U.S. Currency?

WOWJr1

I searched the forum and saw some on-topic answers, but I would just like to confirm. My wife and I are on the Zuiderdam in January for the 10-day Panama Canal partial transit. [First time. A Panama Canal cruise has been a "bucket list" item for me for many years.] We are taking the Canal Experience excursion in Panama, so will probably not have a need (or the opportunity) to spend money there. For Aruba, Curacao, and Costa Rica, will the locals accept U.S. currency or should we plan to charge purchases, assuming that's an option? Aruba and Curacao especially we will almost certainly be on the island for at least one meal. Thanks!

1 minute ago, WOWJr1 said:

I searched the forum and saw some on-topic answers, but I would just like to confirm. My wife and I are on the Zuiderdam in January for the 10-day Panama Canal partial transit. [First time. A Panama Canal cruise has been a "bucket list" item for me for many years.] We are taking the Canal Experience excursion in Panama, so will probably not have a need (or the opportunity) to spend money there. For Aruba, Curacao, and Costa Rica, will the locals accept U.S. currency or should we plan to charge purchases, assuming that's an option? Aruba and Curacao especially we will almost certainly be on the island for at least one meal. Thanks!

US currency is the default currency for everywhere in the Caribbean, including the ABC islands and Cartagena, Colombia.  Or you can use a credit card.

One exception is Cuba, but you aren't going to be there.

We have never tried to buy or carry local currency in the Caribbean.  There are just too many and too hard to get in some places.   In Europe, primarily the Med, we do get some Euros for our stops in EU countries but also have not had trouble with US dollars.   

Many thanks to all the posters for confirming I will not need other than U.S. dollars, and also for the helpful tips. Much appreciated!

Also, I already have a currency conversion app on my smartphone so I can pay something close to the correct amount in US$, minimizing receiving foreign currency change.

Edited by WOWJr1

I did this same cruise 10 years ago and only needed US dollars. Every port had items always priced in US $. It was a fabulous cruise and the Canal was also one of our bucket list items too. I hope to do a full trans canal cruise in the future.