Teens Stay On Board while in Port?

Ted&Elle

I've searched and can't find the answer to this question: will my 14 year old be able to stay on board by himself while my wife and I go on a shore excursion? He's excited about the possibility, but I can't find anywhere that specifies whether or not he has to stay with us when we leave the ship.

Yeah he can. The teen club will be open for hang out too but it’s unsupervised and no activities being run. 

Just be aware too - if anything does happen to him and he needs medical attention, medical won’t touch him until you come back onboard as he’s a minor. I’ve seen this on more than one occasion. 

15 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

Just be aware too - if anything does happen to him and he needs medical attention, medical won’t touch him until you come back onboard as he’s a minor. I’ve seen this on more than one occasion. 

Standard medical protocol is that lifesaving measures ARE performed, even in the absence of a guardian.  

Please don't lie to parents about what will happen to their child if you don't know what you're talking about.

Not that it would happen to you...but one time we saw an obviously upset Mommy and Daddy who got back well after final boarding call and were left on the pier as the ship sailed away.   It was NCL. She was screaming that her kids were on board.  Yikes.  😮 

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

Standard medical protocol is that lifesaving measures ARE performed, even in the absence of a guardian.  

Please don't lie to parents about what will happen to their child if you don't know what you're talking about.

Not always. Like I said, ive seen it first hand so don’t be rude and tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about! 

Lifesaving yes. But I’ve seen a teen pass out in the windjammer. An Alpha was called, medical refused to do anything because the parents werent onboard. 

Another alpha on the sports deck for a teen that broke their foot. Again, medical would touch them until the parents got back on board! 

SO yes. I do know what I’m talking about thanks. 

So, in your own words, please don’t Lie to parents about what will happen to their child if you don’t know what your talking about!

Wouldn't touch the kids?  

Left the fainted kid on the floor in the middle of the Windjammer?  Left the kid with the broken foot sitting on the Sport Deck getting trampled?

Sorry, not buying it.  But you can believe what you believe, and I'll believe what I believe. 

Parents who are concerned can inquire with the medical facility on board and decide for themselves what they believe.

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Wouldn't touch the kids?  

Left the fainted kid on the floor in the middle of the Windjammer?  Left the kid with the broken foot sitting on the Sport Deck getting trampled?

Sorry, not buying it.  But you can believe what you believe, and I'll believe what I believe. 

Parents who are concerned can inquire with the medical facility on board and decide for themselves what they believe.

You don’t have to believe me. 

Lets hope you never find out the hard way. 

Like I said, as a teen staff onboard multiple ships, I’ve had first hand experience and know many more stories. 

Remind me, how many contracts have you done? 

Edited by GarlicBread

I remember looking up whether this was allowed, when considering it with my teenage son.  I was disappointed to read it’s not allowed (my son’s not a kids club type and the other adults in my family were going on the excursion, so no other adult to leave him with)—

From the guest conduct policy, patental responsibility section:

“Under no circumstances should the parent or guardian of a minor debark the ship without their accompanying minor(s) or without having made arrangements for the accompanying minor(s) appropriate supervision on the ship during their absence.”

7 minutes ago, Secretlyfi said:

I remember looking up whether this was allowed, when considering it with my teenage son.  I was disappointed to read it’s not allowed (my son’s not a kids club type and the other adults in my family were going on the excursion, so no other adult to leave him with)—

From the guest conduct policy, patental responsibility section:

“Under no circumstances should the parent or guardian of a minor debark the ship without their accompanying minor(s) or without having made arrangements for the accompanying minor(s) appropriate supervision on the ship during their absence.”

Kids can be left on board at the kids club.  It’s unfortunate for you that your son wouldn’t go to the club, but  I would assume that is considered appropriate supervision.  

Might not do personally, but it’s done all the time. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

On 11/16/2018 at 7:54 PM, Ted&Elle said:

I've searched and can't find the answer to this question: will my 14 year old be able to stay on board by himself while my wife and I go on a shore excursion? He's excited about the possibility, but I can't find anywhere that specifies whether or not he has to stay with us when we leave the ship.

Yes, he can stay on the ship by himself and doesn't have to go to the teen thing unless he wishes to do so.

If you trust him to stay at home alone, he'll be just fine going so on the ship!

Enjoy! :classic_cool:

• Like 1