Refundable On Board Credit

SeaWatcher65

What type of on board credit is Non-Refundable?   Our on board credit is all showing it is refundable including: credit from “go best” perk, credit from travel agent, and pounts from Celebrity Visa redeemed for credit.  I thought the credit from perks would Not be refundable. 

Generally speaking any OBC you get from Celebrity for whatever reason is Non-Refundable.  OBC given by your travel agent is almost always refundable.  I say almost always is that occasionally a TA sets up a deal with Celebrity for OBC and then claims it is from the TA.  This doesn't happen often...but it never hurts to ask your TA if the OBC is refundable if  you don't use it.

38 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

When you say it is “”showing, where is this?  On your stateroom tv? On your booking form? Your on board statement?

On the TV in the cabin.  And confirmed with ship’s customer relations.  I might het a printout as “proof”

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

Generally speaking any OBC you get from Celebrity for whatever reason is Non-Refundable.  OBC given by your travel agent is almost always refundable.  I say almost always is that occasionally a TA sets up a deal with Celebrity for OBC and then claims it is from the TA.  This doesn't happen often...but it never hurts to ask your TA if the OBC is refundable if  you don't use it.

On my last cruise I checked with my large online TA about the OBC from them and they told me it was OBC-N and had to be used by the last night at 10:00PM, the customary limit for OBC-N. Well, it showed up on our TV account as OBC-R and GS handed us the cash the last evening of the cruise. IDK why, still don't, but we gratefully accepted it and said thanks.

On our last cruise our OBC from a large on-line TA showed up as non-refundable.  We had planned to use it on the ship so no big deal.  When we returned home I was talking to a CS supervisor at the TA office so I asked about the OBC being non-refundable.  The explanation I received was that the agency sometimes has the opportunity to buy OBC at a discounted rate as a part of a combined promotion with the cruise line.  In that case the OBC is non-refundable.  On the other hand if the TA pays full price for the OBC it is refundable OBC.  

Makes sense, but I have no idea if it is true.  I now ask when I’m booking a cruise or transferring a booking if any OBC is refundable.  

On 11/18/2018 at 5:15 PM, jelayne said:

On our last cruise our OBC from a large on-line TA showed up as non-refundable.  We had planned to use it on the ship so no big deal.  When we returned home I was talking to a CS supervisor at the TA office so I asked about the OBC being non-refundable.  The explanation I received was that the agency sometimes has the opportunity to buy OBC at a discounted rate as a part of a combined promotion with the cruise line.  In that case the OBC is non-refundable.  On the other hand if the TA pays full price for the OBC it is refundable OBC.  

We have just disembarked the Silhouette.  We too  had $100 OBC from our TA so were somewhat surprised to see OBN on our account when we  checked.  Enquiries at Guest services said it was indeed non-refundable so we  emailed the TA and were told it was a 'special gift' from Celebrity to us.  We had never heard of this arrangement and have had no problems in the past,   so it makes sense to ask on any future bookings where OBC is being offered, where exactly is it coming from?