You may be on a b2b?

Redtravel

We were on a b2b cruise and didn't know it when we booked it. We booked a 14 night cruise. It was listed in brochures and on the web as a continuous 14 night cruise. We were actually on two one week b2b cruises. The first hint that something was off was when we got the personal cruise booklet in the mail. It lists everything about the cruise. Again the cruise was 14 days.  What was strange was that there were no excursions for Rome.  No excursions in Rome? That just didn't make sense. Rome was to become the turn around day. Cruisers on the roll call posted looking to put together a private trip into Rome.  Having been in Rome several times, we didn't want to go to Rome.  we went into Civitevecchia. When we returned to the ship, we were that we could not go on the ship. Embarkation hadn't started. We showed our seapass and got on the ship. When we tried to go to our cabin, the hall corridor doors were closed.  We got the attention of somebody who let us pass through to pur cabin. We were allowed to eat lunch in the grand dining room. That was the only thing that Oceania did for guests continuing on the next cruise. Having booked b2b on other cruise lines, there is usually some complimentary excursion, laundry, discounts, or added OBC. Oceania offers nothing. The second week was dining rerun, most entertainment rerun, etc.....even the cruise director said the same jokes.  The only positive was that we were able to book tables online for 2 at specialty restaurants during the second week.  We thought it strange that there were no tables for 2 available during the first week. it would have been nice if Oceania was upfront about b2b bookings. 

IME

usually there is  a tour(s) ( not free) for B2B cruisers

you get a notice  a few nights before the end of the 1st segment 

as well as  an invitation to dine in the GDR on turnaround  day

if leaving the ship get  an "IN transit" pass  so you can reboard when you want

You can usually just open the doors to the hallway where your cabin is   the Housekeeping staff know you are remaining on for the next segment

49 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

IME

usually there is  a tour(s) ( not free) for B2B cruisers

you get a notice  a few nights before the end of the 1st segment 

as well as  an invitation to dine in the GDR on turnaround  day

if leaving the ship get  an "IN transit" pass  so you can reboard when you want

You can usually just open the doors to the hallway where your cabin is   the Housekeeping staff know you are remaining on for the next segment

That was exactly the case for us on this B2B - just as you said point-by-point.

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

We were on a b2b cruise and didn't know it when we booked it. We booked a 14 night cruise. It was listed in brochures and on the web as a continuous 14 night cruise. We were actually on two one week b2b cruises. The first hint that something was off was when we got the personal cruise booklet in the mail. It lists everything about the cruise. Again the cruise was 14 days.  What was strange was that there were no excursions for Rome.  No excursions in Rome? That just didn't make sense. Rome was to become the turn around day. Cruisers on the roll call posted looking to put together a private trip into Rome.  Having been in Rome several times, we didn't want to go to Rome.  we went into Civitevecchia. When we returned to the ship, we were that we could not go on the ship. Embarkation hadn't started. We showed our seapass and got on the ship. When we tried to go to our cabin, the hall corridor doors were closed.  We got the attention of somebody who let us pass through to pur cabin. We were allowed to eat lunch in the grand dining room. That was the only thing that Oceania did for guests continuing on the next cruise. Having booked b2b on other cruise lines, there is usually some complimentary excursion, laundry, discounts, or added OBC. Oceania offers nothing. The second week was dining rerun, most entertainment rerun, etc.....even the cruise director said the same jokes.  The only positive was that we were able to book tables online for 2 at specialty restaurants during the second week.  We thought it strange that there were no tables for 2 available during the first week. it would have been nice if Oceania was upfront about b2b bookings. 

You were on what Oceania calls a Grand Voyage, not classified as a b2b, very common in all the offerings. You will see many cruises combined when you go to the Oceania website and do a search under "find a cruise." Your TA should have explained the difference.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arima22 said:

You were on what Oceania calls a Grand Voyage, not classified as a b2b, very common in all the offerings. You will see many cruises combined when you go to the Oceania website and do a search under "find a cruise." Your TA should have explained the difference.

+1

Perhaps a cautionary tale for those who use their Agents only to provide Amenities and buybacks.

When I was on the first week, I went to guest relations and asked about the cruise. They called it a b2b. They said that they only do extras like free laundry on Grand Voyages. They said that my cruise was NOT a grand voyage. I also asked if there was some extras offered to b2b guests. None given. On other lines that I booked a b2b, I got something to make up for the turn around day. Windstar is the best. Discounts on both cruises. They give you free same day laundry for the entire cruise. On one trip, they also did a full day excursion that got you off the ship while it was being reprovisioned. Got you back in time for the lifeboat drill. Celebrity gave us extra laundry coupons.  Azamara gave us OBC. Oceania gave us lunch in the dining room. I didn't care for the attitude. If I book another O cruise I would look at all cruises for that ship to see if it was a continuous cruise or a series b2b cruises. Oceania has definitely changed this year. They use the word NO too often. 

If your cruise had a single booking # then it was a single 14 day cruise (Grand voyage?). We had two different booking numbers for each 7 day cruise - thus it was a true B2B cruise for us.

Guest relations may have been incorrect - some people were on a B2B and others on a grand voyage.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

When I was on the first week, I went to guest relations and asked about the cruise. They called it a b2b. They said that they only do extras like free laundry on Grand Voyages. They said that my cruise was NOT a grand voyage. I also asked if there was some extras offered to b2b guests. None given. On other lines that I booked a b2b, I got something to make up for the turn around day. Windstar is the best. Discounts

If you compare the pricing  for  the 2 separate cruises  to the  14 day  I think you will find  there was a discount in the price

They  seem to be doing a lot more combination cruises  whether they are classed as GV or not  I am not sure

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you compare the pricing  for  the 2 separate cruises  to the  14 day  I think you will find  there was a discount in the price

They  seem to be doing a lot more combination cruises  whether they are classed as GV or not  I am not sure

Very true. Originally the 14 day cruise was less than two 7 day cruises, but......

When we booked it as a B2B we got a better deal in the end. We got 2 cruise credits instead of one; got Plat. Benefits X 2 instead of just once ($600 OBC X 2; four spas instead of two). Most importantly, the second segment went on sale for a significant saving. Since it was booked as two separate cruises, we were able to get the discount on the second segment that we would not have qualified for if we had a single voyage.

Edited by Paulchili

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Very true. Originally the 14 day cruise was less than two 7 day cruises, but......

When we booked it as a B2B we got a better deal in the end. We got 2 cruise credits instead of one; got Plat. Benefits X 2 instead of just once ($600 OBC X 2; four spas instead of two). Most importantly, the second segment went on sale for a significant saving. Since it was booked as two separate cruises, we were able to get the discount on the second segment that we would not have qualified for if we had a single voyage.

yes  I try to  do the B2B   before the GV  type cruises  for the  credits 😉

Maybe I will get  a free cruise  before  they change the rules  again LOL

Were you on the Marina?  We were on the Monte Carlo to Barcelona leg but spoke to several couples who thought they were on a 21 day cruise (Venice to Barcelona) or 14 days cruise (Rome to Barcelona or Monte Carlo to Lisbon).  Most seemed unhappy that due to the awful weather several ports were cancelled and duplicated later in their cruise.  One woman stated if she would have know her 21 day cruise was a B2B2B she would have packed much less.

I am on a 20 day cruise in February/March that it turns out to be two ten day B2B with another cruise line.

I do not think people really notice  if you wear the same outfit  more than once   a week  & if  they do  ..their problem

We have done B2B  for 32 days  ..I pack  the same as I do for  a 10 day cruise

as  a 30 day cruise

I might be sick of looking at my clothes by the end  but that is my problem  🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Pack less. Just keep it clean.  Nobody remembers what you wore and when.  Most days I cannot recall what I wore yesterday.  I usually take trips that combine cruise and land stays.  I pack in twos...2 changes of underwear, 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 short sleeve shirts, 2 dressy tops, 2 pair of dress pants, 2 pair of jeans, 2 pair of shorts, 2 bathing suits, 2 sweaters/polartec, etc. If I have space, I will take a few more short sleeve shirts. Make sure that you pick clothes that can be worn in many combinations. Stick to solids and darker colors. Depending upon place and time of year, I may ditch  a pair of shorts and a bathing suit.  I  cooler places, a scarf, hat , gloves are nice.  Waterproof jacket, umbrella, and shoes that will stay dry are a must anywhere.  Wear the heavy shoes on the plane.  Pack the lighter pair.   If I don't pack it and need it, I will buy it.   I select clothing items that don't wrinkle and can be washed out and dry overnight.