Uh-oh, Spam Bot is Attacking

XBGuy

The 'report post' function needs to be visible in the topic [e.g. 'Ask a Cruise Question'] view, and not just when 'hovering' the cursor on an open message.Ā 

Ā 

Marking large batches of messages as spam is needed to counter large batches of spam [and blacklist / throttle the source network]

3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I haven't seen the 2 recent spam attacks.
Ā 

But in the past I have seen them and would report one and also make mention about seeing quite a few more.

Ā 

This.

Ā 

I happened to see this one(long ones, with foreign characters), quite by accident, when the first one had posted.Ā  I flagged it.Ā  Moments later, I saw the count had sort of exploded!Ā  The mods will see these and recognize they type that tends to be sent out ad nauseum/etc. (which many are, alas).

Ā 

I wish there was a way to report them without actually opening them.Ā  At the top of the thread would be a *great* idea for this type of ultra-spam.

Ā 

GC

• Like 1

I agree that there should be 'safe' mode for reporting obvious spam posts, without opening them. A year or so ago, when we had a problem like this (after the last major forum re-do), I spotted what was clearly a 'bot' attack. Rather than risk opening it, I sent an e-mail to CC, clearly describing what I was seeing, and where it was on the forums. I don't know if that was as effective as hitting the old triangle (now the 'report' button) would have been -- since it takes a while for the mods/admins to respond to e-mails. But, in that situation, I felt that immediately sending a detailed e-mail would be better than doing nothing.:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

I agree that there should be 'safe' mode for reporting obvious spam posts, without opening them. A year or so ago, when we had a problem like this (after the last major forum re-do), I spotted what was clearly a 'bot' attack. Rather than risk opening it, I sent an e-mail to CC, clearly describing what I was seeing, and where it was on the forums. I don't know if that was as effective as hitting the old triangle (now the 'report' button) would have been -- since it takes a while for the mods/admins to respond to e-mails. But, in that situation, I felt that immediately sending a detailed e-mail would be better than doing nothing.:classic_unsure:

Ā 

Yup.

Ā 

Any computer gurus out there...?

IS there **ANY** risk clicking on the CC message but *NOT* clicking on anything else (NOT on links, etc.) but ONLY on the 'report' button and enter something like "Spam" and submit?

Thanks.

GC

On 11/21/2018 at 7:58 PM, Underwatr said:

I'm not really sure it's necessary to report more than one of these per Forum section. An admin is (should be) smart enough to look for other similar ones.

Ā 

Having said that, I reported two in this recent flurry.

It's fine to just report one post, thanks for your help.