Data caps on the new HAL Unlmited Internet Plans?

POA1

15 hours ago, beach bunnie said:

Can you tell me which HooToo router you used?  And how do you log it into HAL's wifi?  I understand how a router works and looked up some devices but don't understand how to get it signed into HAL.  Thanks for your help.

Here's the website of the very device I have.  Because HAL uses open WiFi and an authentication page, you would configure it as a bridge.  You then connect your devices to the Hootoo (a.k.a. TripMate) WiFi or ethernet network and use one of them to sign into the internet through the HAL internet page.  You probably want to use one of your devices to set up and select your ship's intranet and internet access first as it's a bit easier to do so.  The manual available at the website above describes in detail the steps involved.  You'd want to follow the instructions for #2 of the Bridge Mode instructions.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 0bnxshs said:

Here's the website of the very device I have.  Because HAL uses open WiFi and an authentication page, you would configure it as a bridge.  You then connect your devices to the Hootoo (a.k.a. TripMate) WiFi or ethernet network and use one of them to sign into the internet through the HAL internet page.  You probably want to use one of your devices to set up and select your ship's intranet and internet access first as it's a bit easier to do so.  The manual available at the website above describes in detail the steps involved.  You'd want to follow the instructions for #2 of the Bridge Mode instructions.

Thank you so much for the info. 

We're thinking of just using Windows 10's mobile hotspot.  We tested it last night at home using 2 PCs and a phone and it worked well.  Any one used this on a cruise?  Thinking we might make a test run at McD's or Starbucks to check it there. 

My TP-Link Travel Router/Bridge/Access Point/WDS (all around tiny magic box) needs to be in Hotspot Router Mode for use in the HAL-type situation. (It's a wireless client on one radio and a hotspot (authenticated access point) on the other.  Unlike the HooToo, the TP-Link N300 needs an external USB power source. It can be plugged in to a regular USB adapter or you can run it off a powered USB port on your computer or an external USB battery. We have battery packs galore and the little router runs for days off a small lipstick sized battery.

The TP-Link is smaller and less expensive than the HooToo, but the HooToo does have a built in USB battery.  (I picked my travel router up during Prime Days for about $20. It normally runs $29.99 but goes on sale pretty often.)

417bqqVhJhL._SL600_.jpg

TP-Link N300 Travel Router at Amazon

The router works well by simply setting changing the mode to Hotspot Router as shown in the image below.

tp-link-mode.thumb.JPG.1d1b261168dabfb18212d5f6ae66ca65.JPG

Never one to leave well-enough alone, I changed the default IP address range of the device to 192.168.7.* so it wouldn't conflict with my regular LAN or WLAN subnets. I also changed the SSID and WPA2 password to lock things down. (And the device login/password, naturally.)  And finally, I changed the DNS servers on the hotspot side to use Google's two IPv4 public servers. The DNS server change is just a hunch I want to test about the DuckDuckGo blocking.

So, while this sounds difficult, these devices are really pretty easy to configure and use. If you have a reasonable amount of tech savvy, they should be simple to use. At some point, the cruise lines might decide to put in MAC address blocks for these types of equipment. That's why I bought a travel router that allows MAC address cloning. I can make the network think it's a laptop if needed.

@0bnxshs- Did connecting two devices through your router mess up use of the Navigator app? I'm not really worried about the messaging part, because we'll be close enough to talk or wave or something. It's more the account access/viewing that I'm wondering about. Thanks!

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

@0bnxshs- Did connecting two devices through your router mess up use of the Navigator app? I'm not really worried about the messaging part, because we'll be close enough to talk or wave or something. It's more the account access/viewing that I'm wondering about. Thanks!

I don't remember if I checked that I could use the messaging feature as Roger was not interested in it at all.  Also, I know I didn't try checking on on board account from 2 different devices.  Sorry... :classic_unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 8:21 AM, POA1 said:

This question is for anyone who's used the new "unlimited" Internet plans.  I've seen a couple of posts where people posted that there are caps on the data usage. The posts showed 300 MB/day on the middle or surf plan and 500 MB/day on the higher end plan.  Normally, that's enough data, but the "new & improved" Cruise Critic mobile version uses 3.0 to 3.1 MB for the initial load of a page like the main HAL forum page. In short, the mobile site is a bandwidth pig and could eat up all of my data in short order. I need the data for work stuff and I'd hate to run out and be unable to post my "Live From" in a few weeks.

So.... If you've got experience with the new plans, can you tell me if they're enforcing data caps?

I don't plan on streaming music, but I'd like to be able to post from the ship and answer questions. Thanks!

Can you sign up for an internet plan before boarding & embarkation?

3 hours ago, RayRose51 said:

Can you sign up for an internet plan before boarding & embarkation?

No you can't.  You have to wait until you are onboard to sign up and purchase.

If you want to avoid extra charges at the end of your cruise, what you can do is buy some OBC on the HAL site to cover the cost of the internet (or anything else you anticipate spending money on).

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2018 at 1:17 PM, kazu said:

No you can't.  You have to wait until you are onboard to sign up and purchase.

If you want to avoid extra charges at the end of your cruise, what you can do is buy some OBC on the HAL site to cover the cost of the internet (or anything else you anticipate spending money on).

On the GWV that sailed yesterday, about a week before sailing they added prepaid full voyage  packages for the 3 plans

55 minutes ago, tallcruiser2 said:

On the GWV that sailed yesterday, about a week before sailing they added prepaid full voyage  packages for the 3 plans

Grand Voyages are totally different than regular cruises.

I guess I should have added that caveat in my post but I'm pretty sure the OP is not going on a Grand Voyage and will be dealing with SOP .

Are you on the GV?  If you are have a great cruise 😄 

2 hours ago, tallcruiser2 said:

That's true for Grand Voyages. For regular cruises, you can only book once you board. 

My TP-Link Travel Router/Bridge/Access Point/WDS (all around tiny magic box) needs to be in Hotspot Router Mode for use in the HAL-type situation. (It's a wireless client on one radio and a hotspot (authenticated access point) on the other.  Unlike the HooToo, the TP-Link N300 needs an external USB power source. It can be plugged in to a regular USB adapter or you can run it off a powered USB port on your computer or an external USB battery. We have battery packs galore and the little router runs for days off a small lipstick sized battery.

The TP-Link is smaller and less expensive than the HooToo, but the HooToo does have a built in USB battery.  (I picked my travel router up during Prime Days for about $20. It normally runs $29.99 but goes on sale pretty often.)

417bqqVhJhL._SL600_.jpg

TP-Link N300 Travel Router at Amazon

The router works well by simply setting changing the mode to Hotspot Router as shown in the image below.

tp-link-mode.thumb.JPG.1d1b261168dabfb18212d5f6ae66ca65.JPG&key=a11138498f78a9a97911e056ccf76abf4aabcf68db9f46bade9fc97198a6cb61

Never one to leave well-enough alone, I changed the default IP address range of the device to 192.168.7.* so it wouldn't conflict with my regular LAN or WLAN subnets. I also changed the SSID and WPA2 password to lock things down. (And the device login/password, naturally.)  And finally, I changed the DNS servers on the hotspot side to use Google's two IPv4 public servers. The DNS server change is just a hunch I want to test about the DuckDuckGo blocking.

So, while this sounds difficult, these devices are really pretty easy to configure and use. If you have a reasonable amount of tech savvy, they should be simple to use. At some point, the cruise lines might decide to put in MAC address blocks for these types of equipment. That's why I bought a travel router that allows MAC address cloning. I can make the network think it's a laptop if needed.

I have been using the HooToo router and noticed that there is a significant penalty in download speed. The speed penalty when using my laptop w Windows 10 is still present, but not as bad as the HooToo. What are you seeing with your TP link?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I have been using the HooToo router and noticed that there is a significant penalty in download speed. The speed penalty when using my laptop w Windows 10 is still present, but not as bad as the HooToo. What are you seeing with your TP link?

Not really. Maybe about 5% or 6% with 4 devices connected. If I have one device in play, it's less than two percent. 

Not really. Maybe about 5% or 6% with 4 devices connected. If I have one device in play, it's less than two percent. 

I see a 50pct drop with my hootoo. I tried it at home and it went from 100mps to 50mps. Haven’t tested it on the ship to see if it is the same. I think I will pick up tp link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I see a 50pct drop with my hootoo. I tried it at home and it went from 100mps to 50mps. Haven’t tested it on the ship to see if it is the same. I think I will pick up tp link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The configuration is a bit more complicated, but it acts like a two sided router and there's not much of a performance hit. I'm happy with it. 

On 1/23/2019 at 6:38 PM, POA1 said:

The configuration is a bit more complicated, but it acts like a two sided router and there's not much of a performance hit. I'm happy with it. 

I received my TP router and set it up using the Quick Set up in the Hot Spot Mode.  Works fine, but I am still getting a speed drop from 120 mps to 40 mps.   Is there a different way to configure this than using the quick setup to avoid this speed penalty?

Thanks

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I received my TP router and set it up using the Quick Set up in the Hot Spot Mode.  Works fine, but I am still getting a speed drop from 120 mps to 40 mps.   Is there a different way to configure this than using the quick setup to avoid this speed penalty?

Thanks

Are you measuring it with a wired connection, or two wireless ones?  If it's two wireless connections (WLAN to WAN) then you may be running into channel conflict. I manually set my client side channel to an off number so that it wouldn't conflict with the usual 1, 6. & 11 you'll find the ship using. I typically use 3 or 8 because they have more breathing room.

I have the router packed away, but if you get really stuck, I can pull it out and look at the advanced configuration pages. The other consideration is what happens when you have a limiting factor of the ship's LAN speed? I can tell you from experience that the ship's not going to see anything approaching 120 Mbps. I saw very little difference between the direct WiFi connection on my PC or my phone vs what I got through the router.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:17 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I reread the earlier post. Definitely try to set your router up for an off channel. If you accidentally wind up on the same channel for both sides of the connection, you're definitely going to experience degradation. (I feel bad now. I should have thought of that when you mentioned the HooToo. I'm just so used to channel configuration, that it didn't occur to me until you had the same problem with the TP-Link.)

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

I reread the earlier post. Definitely try to set your router up for an off channel. If you accidentally wind up on the same channel for both sides of the connection, you're definitely going to experience degradation. (I feel bad now. I should have thought of that when you mentioned the HooToo. I'm just so used to channel configuration, that it didn't occur to me until you had the same problem with the TP-Link.)

Thanks - I will give that a shot.   I wasn't paying any attention to the channels.  I will also experiment at a Starbucks wifi to see if the pct drop is the same.   I was testing using wireless connections 

28 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Thanks - I will give that a shot.   I wasn't paying any attention to the channels.  I will also experiment at a Starbucks wifi to see if the pct drop is the same.   I was testing using wireless connections 

Man, I hope it's not a channel conflict that was causing your slowdown. I realize that it's not a big expense, but I'd feel bad.  Also check to make sure you're running on a non-standard subnet. This won't be a problem on the ship because they run on the less frequently used 10.*.*.* subnets. I used 192.168.7.199 as my router IP with a block of 255.255.255.240 for 14 hosts and 16 addresses. Basically, I wanted to but down on the amount of overhead needed for routing.

Looking back, my statement of "The configuration is a bit more complicated" is probably an oversimplification. Apologies for that.

Man, I hope it's not a channel conflict that was causing your slowdown. I realize that it's not a big expense, but I'd feel bad.  Also check to make sure you're running on a non-standard subnet. This won't be a problem on the ship because they run on the less frequently used 10.*.*.* subnets. I used 192.168.7.199 as my router IP with a block of 255.255.255.240 for 14 hosts and 16 addresses. Basically, I wanted to but down on the amount of overhead needed for routing.

Looking back, my statement of "The configuration is a bit more complicated" is probably an oversimplification. Apologies for that.

I am at a KFC and an getting almost identical speeds 1.36 MPs with our without the tp link. So not an issue outside the house.

My home router ASUS RT AC88U has a WDS feature that throttles thruput to repeaters by 50%. Instructions aren’t clear how to turn this off. Need to dig into the manual some more. It says it can be turned off, but can’t find the switch.

I have 4 of these travel routers now. 2 HooToo, 1 RAV and now the TP link. I never checked speed drop outside my house, so I suspect now the issue isn’t the travel router but other factors with my home router. I like the ability to change the MAC if that becomes necessary, but I find myself rarely using this outside the cabin where I use the WIN 10 feature.

I use these are airplanes to share Gogo and some of my routers seem to connect easier than others. Win 10 is always offers the best and easiest connection, but you have to have your laptop going. Like more options.

Thanks

Pete

We're currently on the Maasdam in the Bay of Bengal headed for Sri Lanka.  I'm using a Rav Power RP-WD03 travel router to share the connection with my wife.  I also have along a Hoo Too travel router but use the Rav Power since it has a self contained battery. Since leaving Singapore, typical latency has been in the 1250 milliseconds with download speeds of 3.3 to 7.5 and upload speeds of 1.6 to 3.4.  Fing is my Speed Test APP.

The speeds aren't blazing but we're able to upload pics to FB, & check email.  I only went for the middle package (Surf), and it seems to be adequate.

14 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I have 4 of these travel routers now. 2 HooToo, 1 RAV and now the TP link

Wow. That makes me seem pretty gadgetless by comparison.

Check the Adaptive QoS settings on your router's web configuration. That's where you can tweak the quality of service settings. I would think that you could give priority to the bridge, but it might be something simple like a settings toggle.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 5:50 PM, Turtles06 said:

We were also on the Zuiderdam TA/Viking Passage in Aug/Sept and purchased the middle level "surf" plan.  I noticed when I was ready to buy this supposedly "unlimited" plan the fine print stating a limit of a certain amount of MB/day, I think it was 300 but I can't recall for sure.  I did speak with someone about this before I made the purchase, and he told me there really wasn't a data cap in the sense that they would cut off your access to the internet if you exceeded it, but rather that they would slow your speeds.   All I can say is that we used the internet plenty and were never cut off.  But the second week into the cruise, the speeds slowed for us and for everyone I spoke with, all day except in the middle of the night -- I think that was more a case of HAL's internet being frustratingly slow.  But it's definitely confusing to sell an unlimited plan with data caps!