Prices for Single Traveler

Moogy

I am new at this and need advice. I think we want two separate rooms (probably balconies) for a trip to Alaska with my dad. He is 90 years old and needs to go to bed early. We think it would be good to have some privacy, both for his sake and for ours. BTW, he is on oxygen and will use a wheelchair much of the time, but won't absolutely have to have a disabled room. He can stand or walk, just not for too long or far.

1. I have been experimenting on internet reservations sites, and it appears that it will cost him almost as much for a single as it will cost for a double for my husband and me. Is this accurate?

2. How hard is it likely to be to find adjacent or connecting rooms?

3. Are there any suites with separate rooms, like family suites, such as the ones I see on some other cruise lines? I really like the HAL atmosphere, so I don't want to try another line.

Thanks for any advice. I am sure I will need to see a good travel agent. I am just trying to get my bearings first.

Prices for single travellers are generally more - HAL is one of the better lines. You can expect to pay about 150% of the double-occupancy fare for a inside or oceanview stateroom. Balcony staterooms run higher than that. I'd talk to a travel agent to see what they can do for you. The individual deck plans also list what cabins are connecting, so it might be worth it to look at some of those too :) Good luck!

I have been travelling solo for the past couple of years and generally have to pay 150% single supplement, however I have noticed that in the Alaska brochures the single supplement is 190%, due no doubt to the popularity of the Alaska cruises.

Have a great cruise.

I've been doing solo cruises for 8 or nine years. I'm glad you're dad wants to go and he should be able to get the accomodations he wants. I am going on the Volendam in a couple weeks. I know on the bottom two decks they had several adjoining rooms. I can't speak to family suites. A travel agent or the website would be the best info on that. As for single supplements. i've had them range from 0 to 200%. The zero was after 911 and they were giving great deals. I would say this cruise will be about 150%. I do feel like we get reamed some but if you have limited time to research and travel then sometimes you just have to go with it. I would look into the budget group above. She could have just what you want. Good luck

michelle

I have a group cruise that has a "brake" on the single supplement. Plus this has what I consider to be the best itinerary of Alaska cruises including Glaicer Bay and Tracy Arm. http://cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=87

Does the single "brake" apply only to the inside rooms? He really needs a good view from his window, since he may need to stay in the room quite a bit. With his emphysema, he can't be out in the cold wind for long.

He has always wanted to go to Alaska, so although his condition will limit our activities somewhat, it will be worth it!

Thanks for all the advice! :)

I agree that on paper the "break" for singles on the Alaska cruise looks good, but that is still $200 per day for an inside cabin on a 7 day cruise.

Sadly, my single status will quite likely limit my cruise opportunities as the bargains just don't seem to be there compared to what is available to people cruising two at a time. For example, our verandah cabin 7-day Carib. cruise on the Westerdam in 2004 was just under $100 per day per person and we booked our 2005 Volendam D cabin 10 day Carib. cruise for $100 per day also. The single supplement I paid after my DH died bumped that one up to $180 per day. Fortunately, travel insurance paid the supplement for that cruise, or I would probably have cancelled.

I know it is a matter of revenue per cabin, so I'm not blaming the cruise lines. I just hope I can cultivate a few "cruising buddy" friendships with other singles so I don't have to go the single-share route. My vacation $$ are too precious to risk 7 or 10 days, or more, with "the room-mate from H*ll". (Endured that once with my humorless older Sis who was a chain-smoking, keep-the-light-on-all-night, we'll-do-it-my-way test of my patience and familial bonds.:eek: )

Hopefully my younger Sis and best buddy will retire in a few years and be free to travel with me. Now if I can just get her hooked on cruising:D

Moogy,

Something to consider concerning your Father: a balcony may not be needed for him, particularly if being out in the cool air is a concern. One of the major advantages of HAL vessels is the Crow's Nest Lounge, above the Bridge. One can be comfortably seated with views ahead as well as on the starboard and port sides of the ship. He would be able to see the sights easily. He might then be able to save some money by booking a regular outside cabin.

I just hope I can cultivate a few "cruising buddy" friendships with other singles so I don't have to go the single-share route. My vacation $$ are too precious to risk 7 or 10 days, or more, with "the room-mate from H*ll". (Endured that once with my humorless older Sis who was a chain-smoking, keep-the-light-on-all-night, we'll-do-it-my-way test of my patience and familial bonds.:eek: )

Jane, this is the voice of experience talking: sometimes it's easier to share a cabin with a total stranger than with someone you know. When you're with a stranger you both tend to be on your best behavior, whereas people who know each other may take each other for granted.

I would hate for you to miss out on cruises you might like to take simply because you have no one to go with and don't want to pay the single supplement. If you generally like the HAL passengers you meet, then you probably wouldn't mind sharing with them.

Think about it.

I've avoided paying the full 100% single supplement on HAL by sailing during non-peak times and booking inside or outside guarantees.

For Alaska, non-peak is mid-May or late September. I agree with Rkacruiser about the Crow's Nest.

Definitely work with a travel agent in order to explore all your options.

Roz

I

Thanks for any advice. I am sure I will need to see a good travel agent. I am just trying to get my bearings first.

Moogy,

Hmmm... why not try to find a companion to sail with your dad that might be willing to pick up a part of the fare. Or if you have to pay 200% why not find someone who is willing to act as a carer for the cruise in exchange for a free bed. That way the other bed won't be wasted and you would have someone to keep an eye on dad.

Stephen

Moogy,

Something to consider concerning your Father: a balcony may not be needed for him, particularly if being out in the cool air is a concern. One of the major advantages of HAL vessels is the Crow's Nest Lounge, above the Bridge. One can be comfortably seated with views ahead as well as on the starboard and port sides of the ship. He would be able to see the sights easily. He might then be able to save some money by booking a regular outside cabin.

How good or bad is the view from a regular outside cabin (not an obstructed outside)? In most of the photos, it looks like the glass is cloudy instead of clear. Is that real, or just reflections in the photo?

Also, some of the rooms have the bed under the window, making it harder to sit and watch the scenery. Can the furniture be rearranged? Is the window in an outside cabin too high for scenery watching from a chair?

Thanks to everyone--your ideas have been very helpful!

Moogy :)

Moogy,

The glass in the cabin windows is clear, although it may sometimes have salt on it from spray, but they are washed often. The standard outside cabins (ie. D & E which I have had) have beds that can be made into a queen size under the window. If the beds are made up as twins, the bedside stands are under the window and the beds are against the side walls. What you can see while seated depends on the view outside the window. At sea, you won't see the water (unless the waves are pretty big). In port you will see whatever is at window level or above.

Roz,

I'm confused about your statement re: GTY cabins. If there is only one person in the cabin, don't you still have to pay the supplement, even for a guarantee?

RuthC,

I had not considered your point of view. I believe you are on to something. Thanks for offering a new slant on the single-share concept. I'm looking forward to meeting you on the Zaandam.

How good or bad is the view from a regular outside cabin (not an obstructed outside)? In most of the photos, it looks like the glass is cloudy instead of clear. Is that real, or just reflections in the photo?

Moogy,

Some of those photoos are professional (?) shots taken when the ship was in the shipyard. The window has been retouched to remove a dockyard crane!

Stephen

Moogy,

The glass in the cabin windows is clear, although it may sometimes have salt on it from spray, but they are washed often. The standard outside cabins (ie. D & E which I have had) have beds that can be made into a queen size under the window. If the beds are made up as twins, the bedside stands are under the window and the beds are against the side walls. What you can see while seated depends on the view outside the window. At sea, you won't see the water (unless the waves are pretty big). In port you will see whatever is at window level or above.

Roz,

I'm confused about your statement re: GTY cabins. If there is only one person in the cabin, don't you still have to pay the supplement, even for a guarantee?

RuthC,

I had not considered your point of view. I believe you are on to something. Thanks for offering a new slant on the single-share concept. I'm looking forward to meeting you on the Zaandam.

I enjoy HAL primary because of the reasonable single rates that they offer.

As for the question on if you still have to pay a single supplement for a guarantee, the answer is yes :( .

As for the Alaskan cruise, I really wanted to take one this year with a balcony. But the single rates are higher on the Alaskan trips. I'm looking at the trips in September and hoping for a great rate then. I took an Alaskan cruise a few years back on the Alaskan State Ferry. Unlike cruise ships, they charge a flat rate on the rooms, regardless of the number of people in the room. I had a room with a small window and managed to find a great spot on the deck to view.

I know that the logic behind charging a solo traveler so much is that the cruise line think that the solo traveler spending is less than two people in a cabin. That's not true. On my first cruise, I was in the cabin with a friend and on that trip, I only spent $50 (outside of my tips). On my most recent trip in November, I spent over $600.

Does the single "brake" apply only to the inside rooms? He really needs a good view from his window, since he may need to stay in the room quite a bit. With his emphysema, he can't be out in the cold wind for long.

He has always wanted to go to Alaska, so although his condition will limit our activities somewhat, it will be worth it!

Thanks for all the advice! :)

Verify the pricing with the booking agent, but if you get rooms near each other, he could still get the inside and maybe spend the viewing time in your balcony?? I would avoid past the first week of Sept, as it is the coldest time to travel, never mind having the worse potential for foul weather of the Alaska sailing season.

125347518.jpg

This was my cabin picture from the HAL Oosterdam over New Year's. There is some glare from the camera. However, you can see really well. The bed can become two twins with room in the middle. I think one could see pretty well from that position.

Also, some of the rooms have the bed under the window, making it harder to sit and watch the scenery. Can the furniture be rearranged? Is the window in an outside cabin too high for scenery watching from a chair?

Thanks to everyone--your ideas have been very helpful!

Some of you misunderstood what I was trying to convey...I said I didn't pay the 100% single supplement. I didn't say I don't pay ANY supplement. I've been paying about 40%.

Hope this clarifies things. For instance if the price per person for a cabin is $1,000, I'll pay $1,400.

Roz

Moogy -

You should very seriously think about getting a handicapped stateroom for your father. A handicapped stateroom will have a wider door that will accomodate a wheelchair. The stateroom will be larger and this makes it easier to move about. The door to the bathroom is wide enough to accomodate a wheelchair, and, most importantly, the threshold is flat to the floor. In a standard stateroom the bathroom floor is higher than the stateroom floor and has an even higher lip at the doorway to keep spilled water in the bathroom. The lip is a tripping hazzard that I have stumbled on any number of times, and I am fully mobile if not very nimble. The shower in a handicapped room has grab bars, a fold down seat and a fully adjustable shower head. The shower curtain hangs much wider than in a regular stateroom so there is no clinging (shower curtain dancing) that is a regular feature of most cruise ships (except in suites). The toilet is higher and easier for seniors and the walls have grab bars. With moderate or even slight ship motion the extra stability features of the handicapped bathroom may be important for your father. You don't want him slipping or falling.

In general, handicapped staterooms are readily available. In June 2003 I booked an Alaska cruise at the last minute (3 weeks before sailing) at bargain rates for myself and my mother who uses a walker or wheelchair for long distances. I asked and was given an inside handicapped stateroom for my mother without difficulty and I was assigned an inside stateroom 3 doors away. Whether HAL bumped someone to a higher category to give my mother the handicapped stateroom, I don't know. In October 2004 I booked a mediterranean cruise on the Westerdam at the last minute, again 3 weeks before sailing and at a bargain fare, and the least expensive stateroom was a handicapped stateroom. There were two available at that late date so I took one. It was a great stateroom.

By the way, the HAL ships have plenty of manual wheelchairs available for passengers use. We took our own on the Alaska cruise but it wasn't necessary. My mother could get about her stateroom OK but used the wheelchair whenever she left the room as she was overly concerned about the ship's motion. She went to breakfast in the Lido buffet on her own and as soon as she entered the hallway in the wheelchair one of the room stewards would rush up to her and push her to the elevator going to the Lido. When she exited the elevator at the Lido two stewards would assist her, one pushing the wheelchair and another carrying her tray. They would assist her to a table and settle her in comfortably. She thought it was great fun.

On my Alaska cruise, 7 day Vancouver to Vancouver, there were only three main periods of good sightseeing while the ship was moving. The first was early morning proceeding into Skagway. The second was the half day glacier viewing in glacier bay. The third was the last afternoon/early evening going through the narrow channel at the north end of Vancouver island. The rest of the daylight was either in port or sailing in fairly open water with nothing to see. The Seattle to Seattle cruises sail more in open water with even less to see.

Hope this helps.

Bill

I know that the logic behind charging a solo traveler so much is that the cruise line think that the solo traveler spending is less than two people in a cabin. That's not true. On my first cruise, I was in the cabin with a friend and on that trip, I only spent $50 (outside of my tips). On my most recent trip in November, I spent over $600.

Ah, but if you had shared a cabin on your trip in November, the total spent per cabin would have been greater than $600 (or whatever you spent). It's not that the cruise lines think that a solo traveler is spending less than two people in a cabin, rather they know that they lose whatever onboard revenue the second person would have generated. Doesn't matter whether that second person would have spent $20 or $2,000 onboard, the cruise line almost always 'loses' onboard revenue from the missing second traveler.

As one who has cruised solo on occasion, I understand why cruise lines charge solo travelers a premium and I don't think it's unfair--to a point. That point is if the ship sails with unsold cabins. If any cabins remain unsold at sailing, I don't get my premium back. That is, if I pay double for a cabin because the cruise line can't sell my second bunk, if any cabins are unsold then I haven't cost them anything. If they have unsold cabins, my booking a single cabin did not cause the cruisel ine to turn away a couple. I should get the premium refunded because if I hadn't booked as a solo, they would have had another empty cabin. If cruise lines 'punish' solo travelers for costing them revenue, then we should be 'rewarded' when the opposite is true.

Moogy, don't depend on the cruiseline to provide a wheelchair if your Dad's mobility on the ship and his enjoyment of the cruise will depend on it. It is a long walk from the dining room to the show lounge, for instance. Also, if you hit rough seas and he is already unsteady on his feet, you run the risk of him falling, or of you being injured trying to keep him from falling.

The availability of wheelchairs on the ship will definitely depend on the number of frail folks on board or the number of pax who fall or otherwise injure themselves during the cruise, so you might find yourselves out of luck. Even then, the available wheelchairs may not be a good fit for Dad, may be too heavy or cumbersome, etc.

If he does not regularly use a wheelchair at home, you might take him to a medical supply store to have a wheelchair properly fitted. Explain to the people at the store about the upcoming cruise. The store can then give you the information you need to order a proper chair. (They should be willing to do this, since they have a future customer sitting right there.)Then call HAL and find out the best way to rent a wheelchair and have it waiting in his cabin. Better to have it and not use it much than to wish you had rented one.

My DH was in a wheelchair for several months after an accident. The ordinary wheelchairs at the hospital were wider than he needed and quite heavy. In rehab, they fitted him with a narrower, lightweight wheelchair so his arms did not rub on chair and with wider, lighter wheels which were easier for him to push. It made a big difference in his ability to get around independently and was not as tiring for him, or me when we went out in public.

Thanks for the wheelchair advice, plus all the other ideas you all have shared. I am going to see my dad next week (he lives about 300 miles from me), and this board has given us lots to discuss about our Alaska trip!

I am hoping there will still be plenty of options left for good reservations, since I can't reserve our trip until after his doctor gives the ok. With a pre-existing condition (emphysema requiring oxygen), I want a formal ok from the doc, both for his health and for purposes of travel insurance.

Thanks again to everyone!

Moogy

Moogy,

Regarding the oxygen, be sure you check with HAL about planning for your Dad's O2 needs. They have about 4 providers that they consider reliable enough to allow to provide O2 on the ships.

Sounds like your Dad has multiple medical problems. You are very wise to plan an organized, systematic approach to cover all the eventualities. Your Dad is a fortunate man. Hope you all have a wonderful, trouble-free cruise.

Archived