Oasis Cancellation-March 31, 2019

Hi all. I just got an email that our spring break cruise (Western on Oasis from Port Canaveral) has been cancelled for maintenance. Seems odd to me a cruise during spring break season out of Florida would be cancelled for maintenance when the cruises the week before and after go on as planned, but it is what it is.

While they’ve offered us several options during the surrounding weeks, unfortunately for us the week we booked is our kids’ spring break and the only week we can go. The only 2 options that were offered the same week are Allure from Miami (Nassau, Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel) and Rhapsody from Tampa (Key West, Cozumel, Belize City, Costa Maya).  Neither of those options is attractive to me, as traveling to Miami is inconvenient for us (with no Labadee stop, which we were very much looking forward to) and I just can’t see us liking Rhapsody for a week with 2 small kids after our only 2 prior cruises on Oasis which we loved.

My questions for you seasoned folks:

1. Is there any point in trying to talk Royal Caribbean into other options? I assume not since they did give several options that just don’t work for us, but I’m curious to know others’ experiences.

2. Is there anything about the 2 offered itineraries that makes them more attractive than my initial reaction? My instinct tells me to just get a refundand take the kids to Disney for Spring break, but we will all be disappointed to not be cruising.

Any thoughts from people who have faced a similar choice appreciated!

I have no advice, but I am glad you shared this as we are scheduled on the Oasis on 3/17 and now I am second-guessing.  If they have to cancel a cruise this close to sail date for maintenance, do we really want to sail on that ship?  

Sorry to piggyback my own issue on to yours, but I am very eager to hear input about this.  

7 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

1. Is there any point in trying to talk Royal Caribbean into other options? I assume not since they did give several options that just don’t work for us, but I’m curious to know others’ experiences.

Most likely a waste of time to try to get price protected on any other sailing other than those initially offered by the cruise line.

At this late stage and the fact that it is spring break I’m surprised that you were even given some options.  If you are going to take one I would call quickly as I’m sure there is limited availability.  

Personally I would pick the Allure even with it being a bit further to get to. You don’t have Labadee but there are great all inclusive beach resorts in Cozumel and Costa Maya that could take its place.

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That has been our experience with a chartered sailing.  

We tried to get a replacement for our Adventure cruises that were cancelled.  They cancelled one with a stop in Bonaire, and we wanted them to allow us to move to another sailing with Bonaire that was just one week earlier than what was offered as price protected, but they would not budge.  These were the Ken/Ellen cruises.  We still got the tremendous prices, but had to lose Bonaire.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

We tried to get a replacement for our Adventure cruises that were cancelled.  They cancelled one with a stop in Bonaire, and we wanted them to allow us to move to another sailing with Bonaire that was just one week earlier than what was offered as price protected, but they would not budge.  These were the Ken/Ellen cruises.  We still got the tremendous prices, but had to lose Bonaire.

I remember those.

8 hours ago, Grenouille21 said:

If they have to cancel a cruise this close to sail date for maintenance, do we really want to sail on that ship?  

Would you cancel a flight if you knew the plane you were flying on was in for maintenance?

• Haha 1

I would much rather cruise than be trapped in the heat of Disney during one of the busiest weeks of the year.  I would hop on either of those (probably Allure since the bigger ships offer more for kids to do) and enjoy the week!

Edited to add:  Labadee is nice but it wouldn't make or break a cruise for me.  Since Royal owns it, it will be on their itinerary for a long time.

Edited by momofmab

If you were already set to come in to Orlando to cruise out of Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale is only ~3 hour drive from the Orlando airport. Tampa is only about 90 minutes. Either one is a relatively minor inconvenience compared to calling off the cruise entirely. The Allure port stops would be our preference over the Rhapsody port stops. Where is Harmony going that week? Would RCL entertain that as an option?

Edited by orville99

17 minutes ago, orville99 said:

If you were already set to come in to Orlando to cruise out of Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale is only ~3 hour drive from the Orlando airport. Tampa is only about 90 minutes. Either one is a relatively minor inconvenience compared to calling off the cruise entirely. The Allure port stops would be our preference over the Rhapsody port stops. Where is Harmony going that week? Would RCL entertain that as an option?

Harmony isn't showing on the RCCL site either unfortunately.  Symphony is hopefully an option out of Miami with St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau.  Or Adventure - which is an 8 day going to St. Kitts - out of FLL.  Only issue is what RCCL will let us do.  On hold and have been for 10 minutes as their offices just opened at 9:00 AM EST...  

I just called & they were extremely unsympathetic and unhelpful. Even though Allure on 3/31 was given as an option on last nights email, all they have are interior staterooms (we are booked in ocean view balcony on Oasis). So really it isn’t an option to switch ships and stay in the same category for most people. Rhapsody just can’t compare to Oasis for my kids, yet they want the same price as I paid for Oasis. I asked about Adventure, as I originally had that booked (a year ago) and cancelled it to book Oasis. They’ll only do prevailing rate which is much more than I paid for Oasis. I asked if they would at least apply the kids sail free promo since I have that for the Oasis Sailing and could have booked Adventure with it 10 times over during the last year, and the robot on the other end of the phone didn’t even sound like she wanted to try to work something out.

I get it these things happen, but their response is pretty disappointing. If the person on the other end of the phone would have at least been nice while relaying the laundry list of “NO” answers to my questions, it would have left a better impression.

We're doing the Harmony, which has a 9 day on March 29. Stops in Labadee, st. Thomas, st. Maarten, Nassau, and San Juan.   It would mean taking the littles out of school for two day and changing your flights and paying more if they would let you. 

6 minutes ago, Mrsdigi said:

We're doing the Harmony, which has a 9 day on March 29. Stops in Labadee, st. Thomas, st. Maarten, Nassau, and San Juan.   It would mean taking the littles out of school for two day and changing your flights and paying more if they would let you. 

While that sailing looks appealing, it’s significantly more expensive than the Oasis deal we had booked. If they would at least transfer the kids sail free promo between sailings the prices would be comparable, but the fact they won’t transfer the promo is a deal-killer. 

I get it that they gave some price protected options for other dates that just don’t work for our personal circumstances, and I don’t expect something for nothing, but I’m just disappointed in the (lack of) options offered for the same week and their lack of flexibility to try to make other cruises that are actually comparable and actually have availability work out for people.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mrsdigi said:

They will not honor the promos or anything to sailings beyond this:

Oasis of the Seas

March 3rd, March 17th, or April 14th cruise departing from Orlando, Florida, sailing to Labadee, Haiti | Falmouth, Jamaica | Cozumel, Mexico

March 10th, March 24th, or April 7th cruise departing from Orlando, Florida, sailing to Nassau, Bahamas | Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas | Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Allure of the Seas

March 3rd, March 17th, or March 31st cruise departing from Miami, Florida, sailing to Nassau, Bahamas | Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico| Roatan, Honduras | Cozumel, Mexico.

March 10th, March 24th, or April7th cruise departing from Miami, Florida, sailing to Philipsburg, St. Maarten | San Juan, Puerto Rico | Labadee, Haiti.

Rhapsody of the Seas

March 30th cruise departing from Tampa, Florida, sailing to Key West, Florida | Cozumel, Mexico | Belize City, Belize | Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico.

Unfortunately it's spring break, so another week doesn't work and Allure has no quads available that week.

Rhapsody isn't at all what we want.  If we book another week we pay going rate, which is WAAAAY more, we booked with kids sail free and second guest 60% off.  Moving to Adventure or Harmony or Symphony would result in at least $2000 more than what we booked at... Not cool.   But hey, I'll get a $200 OBC for that sailing...   Royal basically said sucks to be you. 😞  Really disappointed.

5 minutes ago, Gatordad815 said:

While that sailing looks appealing, it’s significantly more expensive than the Oasis deal we had booked. If they would at least transfer the kids sail free promo between sailings the prices would be comparable, but the fact they won’t transfer the promo is a deal-killer. 

I get it that they gave some price protected options for other dates that just don’t work for our personal circumstances, and I don’t expect something for nothing, but I’m just disappointed in the (lack of) options offered for the same week and their lack of flexibility to try to make other cruises that are actually comparable and actually have availability work out for people.

Ah-if they would just let you pay a bit extra (7 v 9 days) I could see that.  I'd probably cancel and either find another cruise line or a land based vacay, if I were in your shoes.  Sorry this is happening to you.  I just mentioned Harmony because someone had said they didn't see it listed for that week.  Good luck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ugagal07 said:

Royal basically said sucks to be you. 😞  Really disappointed.

Same experience here...I hope your family finds an alternate spring break trip at a reasonable price and you have a great time that week.  That’s what I’ll be looking at trying to cobble together all day today. Sigh...

10 minutes ago, ugagal07 said:

They will not honor the promos or anything to sailings beyond this:

Oasis of the Seas

March 3rd, March 17th, or April 14th cruise departing from Orlando, Florida, sailing to Labadee, Haiti | Falmouth, Jamaica | Cozumel, Mexico

March 10th, March 24th, or April 7th cruise departing from Orlando, Florida, sailing to Nassau, Bahamas | Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas | Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Allure of the Seas

March 3rd, March 17th, or March 31st cruise departing from Miami, Florida, sailing to Nassau, Bahamas | Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico| Roatan, Honduras | Cozumel, Mexico.

March 10th, March 24th, or April7th cruise departing from Miami, Florida, sailing to Philipsburg, St. Maarten | San Juan, Puerto Rico | Labadee, Haiti.

Rhapsody of the Seas

March 30th cruise departing from Tampa, Florida, sailing to Key West, Florida | Cozumel, Mexico | Belize City, Belize | Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico.

Unfortunately it's spring break, so another week doesn't work and Allure has no quads available that week.

Rhapsody isn't at all what we want.  If we book another week we pay going rate, which is WAAAAY more, we booked with kids sail free and second guest 60% off.  Moving to Adventure or Harmony or Symphony would result in at least $2000 more than what we booked at... Not cool.   But hey, I'll get a $200 OBC for that sailing...   Royal basically said sucks to be you. 😞  Really disappointed.

I know it didn't work out for you but this is the most price protected sailings I've seen them offer.  Usually I've seen around 5 or 6 dates offered.  To bad you cant do the 9 day harmony, there are actually reasonable prices on quads for the week, a cat 5D balcony is $3975

It’s such a huge maintenance issue that they need to wait 3 months to fix it. Let’s call it what it is. The oasis was scheduled to dry dock in 2019 for upgrades. They probably had an open spot for dry docking and that’s what they chose. Either way their alternative sail dates are absolutely awful. We had a booking for this oasis sail date.  We had 2 connecting balcony rooms. How do you offer a alternative that’s basically sold out.  I’m currently sitting on the Allure and even the staff here is baffled on how they are handeling the situation.  They don’t even have a Quads for families on the 3/31 allure sailing.  

17 minutes ago, cruisinforabruising said:

How do you offer a alternative that’s basically sold out.

Yeah that’s my biggest gripe with this. If the only comparable option the same week isn’t available, it’s not actually an option, so they shouldn’t pretend it is. And their customer service was just very cold about the whole thing. Left a very bad taste.